Banded 3/24

Hi All,

Well, here I sit 4 days post-op and really having regrets. My experience with the hotel, surgery and the facilities is similar to everyone elses...except for the fact that Ortiz's shuttle didn't get us to the airport in time and we ended up missing our flight...costing me more money and a whole day at the airport feeling very uncomfortable. For me, the surgery was a piece of cake and the next day at the hotel was fine. I was feeling fine. On the day we left I was having a lot of pressure and gas pains in my abdomen and chest. I had severe, sharp gas pains radiating up the left side of my neck and found no relief with the Gas-X strips. When we finally got home...I was almost in tears wondering if I had made the right decision. I started out so good and am now after 4 days I still am not finding much relief. I have a 1 and 3 year old and cannot take care of them. Twisiting, bending and actually moving in general is painful. I have burning where my port was sewn in and I have to choke back tears when I stand up from a sitting position. I left a message with Dr. Ortiz today, but have not heard back from him yet. I'm not sure if my body is getting an infection or if I'm just not tolerating this well. All of this and I'm starving to boot. My stomach is in a constant rumble and feeling nauseaus all at the same time. Most people sound like they have had a better experience, but I just needed to share this info in case someone else went through this and can give me some advice. I am going to try and find some of the Phayzime, phyzime (whatever) to see if that doesn't help. I have got to find relief soon otherwise I will be trying to find a physcian here that can help me.

Kari

Banded 3/24/08

pre-op weight: 196

Height: 5'4"

Carrie

I'm sorry you are feeling so lousy :((

I can only hope it will get better. I have the WORST stomach ache tonight. I walked almost a mile this afternoon and it really helped with the gas but I just feel so bloated tonight. I will call you tomorrow and check in on you.

oxoxo

Mindy

Hi All,

Well, here I sit 4 days post-op and really having regrets. My experience with the hotel, surgery and the facilities is similar to everyone elses...except for the fact that Ortiz's shuttle didn't get us to the airport in time and we ended up missing our flight...costing me more money and a whole day at the airport feeling very uncomfortable. For me, the surgery was a piece of cake and the next day at the hotel was fine. I was feeling fine. On the day we left I was having a lot of pressure and gas pains in my abdomen and chest. I had severe, sharp gas pains radiating up the left side of my neck and found no relief with the Gas-X strips. When we finally got home...I was almost in tears wondering if I had made the right decision. I started out so good and am now after 4 days I still am not finding much relief. I have a 1 and 3 year old and cannot take care of them. Twisiting, bending and actually moving in general is painful. I have burning where my port was sewn in and I have to choke back tears when I stand up from a sitting position. I left a message with Dr. Ortiz today, but have not heard back from him yet. I'm not sure if my body is getting an infection or if I'm just not tolerating this well. All of this and I'm starving to boot. My stomach is in a constant rumble and feeling nauseaus all at the same time. Most people sound like they have had a better experience, but I just needed to share this info in case someone else went through this and can give me some advice. I am going to try and find some of the Phayzime, phyzime (whatever) to see if that doesn't help. I have got to find relief soon otherwise I will be trying to find a physcian here that can help me.

Kari

Banded 3/24/08

Kari,

Did you call the 24/7 emergency contact number?

Please call Dr. Martinez at 619-847-9264

I called this number really early in the morning because of constipation issues and Dr. Martinez answered after only 2 rings. Call him now and ask what you should do. I'm worried since I understand how it is to have to take care of 2 very young children. I'm praying for you!!!

I'm sorry but I didn't have your experience at all and that sounds terrible about missing your flight... there has to be something that OCC can do about that if it was their fault not getting you to the airport on time. Call Dr. Martinez now!

Hanna

I'm sorry to hear you're having remorse. Believe it or not it does get better. I had the gas pain like you. Walking and movment helps that to work it's way out. Mine finally started to resolve after a week. The gas tries to find the highest point in your body to escape which is why people have a lot of shoulder pain and headaches. Hope you feel better soon.

I had the horrible pain at the port site too. I took it easy for 2 days, and it practically went away (it's only tender now - I don't want to die every time I sneeze).

It does get easier, and better.

This wasn't anywhere NEAR as bad as the tummy tuck I had done 10 years ago. OUCH!

Hi Kari!

How are you doing? Please post to let us know how you are doing? Did you call Dr. Martinez? Has anything been resolved? I am still praying for you and I truly hope you have had some relief with the pain and please please, if you can have a friend or family member help out with your kids then do it. I tried to lift my 3 year old too soon ('cause she is so needy for hugs and being babied) and hurt myself a little bit. But nothing a days rest couldn't fix. Please let me know how you are? :(

Hi Ladies,

Well, I am happy to say that I am feeling much better today! I broke the rules and had some food today and I feel 100% better. I took about 4 small watered down bites of chili, sucked on 6 pieces of dove chocolate and had 5 bites of mashed potatoes. My stomach finally stopped churning and my gassy bloated feeling has gotten much better. The little bit I ate I washed down with some liquids and I never felt nauseaus or bloated. I want to still stick to my liquids as much as possible, but this reprieve allowed me to feel better and as I long as I wasn't retching or vomiting I don't think I jeopardized the integrity of my band. I'm not going to go crazy with eating, but if it gets me through the day without wanting to commit Harry Karry then so be it. I think half my problem was my stomach felt sucked in on itself and when I feel starved...I feel sick! I can't function that way for long. Anyone else cheat with their diet? How did it turn out? I'm going to be careful and very mindful of how my stomach is feeling, but as of now I have to say I'm glad I had those snacks. Dr. Miranda wouldn't be happy with me I'm sure. Stick with the diet plan if you can. So, everybody...do as I say...not as I do!!! I'll keep you posted on my intake. Hopefully, I will be able to stay on track somewhat until I'm allowed to have solids (which is April 13th). Thanks for all your support and concern.

Kari

Hi All,

Kari

Banded 3/24/08

Oh Kari, I am so sorry to hear you are feeling poorly. To tell the truth, I actually feel worse now than I did Monday also. But mostly gas and bloating. I did have a yougurt drink last night and it really made feel 100% better!

It's funny, I had a twinge of remorse yesterday also. But for a differnt reason. It's weird, but I started to question whether I could tolerate having something foreign in my body. Not that my body wouldn't accept it, but whether my mind would. So, I pushed those thoughts out of my head as quickly as I could. I think it just has to do with the fact that I am 48 years old and never had a baby, never had surgery other than a D&C or tonsillectomy and this is kind of new to me.

Burping still hurts a bit and the WONDERFUL FARTING has begun! YEAH! Never knew that could feel so good.

Try not to fret or worry too much. And I am sure within a few more days you will be back to feeling great.

Keep in touch, it was really great to meet you and go through this together.

Ramona

Hi Ladies,

Well, I am happy to say that I am feeling much better today! I broke the rules and had some food today and I feel 100% better. I took about 4 small watered down bites of chili, sucked on 6 pieces of dove chocolate and had 5 bites of mashed potatoes. My stomach finally stopped churning and my gassy bloated feeling has gotten much better. The little bit I ate I washed down with some liquids and I never felt nauseaus or bloated. I want to still stick to my liquids as much as possible, but this reprieve allowed me to feel better and as I long as I wasn't retching or vomiting I don't think I jeopardized the integrity of my band. I'm not going to go crazy with eating, but if it gets me through the day without wanting to commit Harry Karry then so be it. I think half my problem was my stomach felt sucked in on itself and when I feel starved...I feel sick! I can't function that way for long. Anyone else cheat with their diet? How did it turn out? I'm going to be careful and very mindful of how my stomach is feeling, but as of now I have to say I'm glad I had those snacks. Dr. Miranda wouldn't be happy with me I'm sure. Stick with the diet plan if you can. So, everybody...do as I say...not as I do!!! I'll keep you posted on my intake. Hopefully, I will be able to stay on track somewhat until I'm allowed to have solids (which is April 13th). Thanks for all your support and concern.

Kari

Ok Carrie... I will come clean... I was feeling awful yesterday when I got home from work, as you know, and after we talked I was thinking what the crap... so I got up and made 2oz of instant mashed potatoes.. very watery... I ate it and my gosh I felt 100% better! I also took one of those pain pills we bought in TJ and the combination had me feeling almost back to normal. I am off to a another full day at work and I am taking my 3.3oz bottle of activia yogurt drink and exactly 2oz (1/4cup) of very watery instant mashed potatoes. I am making a point of drinking more water water water ... other than a slight headache this morning I'm feeling mucho better.

xoxoxo

Mindy

Ok Carrie... I will come clean... I was feeling awful yesterday when I got home from work, as you know, and after we talked I was thinking what the crap... so I got up and made 2oz of instant mashed potatoes.. very watery... I ate it and my gosh I felt 100% better! I also took one of those pain pills we bought in TJ and the combination had me feeling almost back to normal. I am off to a another full day at work and I am taking my 3.3oz bottle of activia yogurt drink and exactly 2oz (1/4cup) of very watery instant mashed potatoes. I am making a point of drinking more water water water ... other than a slight headache this morning I'm feeling mucho better.

xoxoxo

Mindy

And here I was feeling guilty for starting the yogurt already! But that yogurt did hit the spot and made me feel great! I am going to try one of my protein shakes tomorrow. I think part of my vomitting problem was from lack of food also. I was SOOOOO trying to do just the clear fluids fro the whole first week but I just can't so I am going with the diet suggestions on the early days of the schedule.

Well for me...

Tomorrow will be post op 4 weeks and I have decided to go with Clynn and quit worrying about these first 6 weeks. Weeks one and two I was surviving on fluids and feeling like hell recovering from surgery then at week 3 I was starving and started solids per guidelines and have no problem eating AT ALL. At first I was so upset because I had lost 13lbs, but lets get real I always lose that amount in the first weeks of dieting. Now I am just focusing on healing and planning and preparing for the big show down which will be after the first fill. I am not by any means gorging and stuffing my face and I definitely get full faster but I'm also not beating myself up if I eat something other than fruit, veg and protein!

We're in it for the long haul!

SJ