Considering Lap Band...eating everything in sight!

I have my first consultation with the surgeon on April 23, 2008. I have been really the message in this forum and how challenging it has been for some of you during the post op liquid only diet. I am scared I won't be able to do it and my nervousness about this life changing experience is making me eat more than I did before.

Just the thought of not being able to eat is freaking me out...although in my head I am ready to do this and want it so desperately. I know the post op liquid only diet is temporary and weight loss kick start will be so worth it and I have keep that in mind, I guess.

I love the ladies who chew and spit just to taste real food, that ingenius!!

I would appreciate any support or feedback on your experiences.

Thanks, Cathy

I have my first consultation with the surgeon on April 23, 2008. I have been really the message in this forum and how challenging it has been for some of you during the post op liquid only diet. I am scared I won't be able to do it and my nervousness about this life changing experience is making me eat more than I did before.

Just the thought of not being able to eat is freaking me out...although in my head I am ready to do this and want it so desperately. I know the post op liquid only diet is temporary and weight loss kick start will be so worth it and I have keep that in mind, I guess.

Thanks, Cathy

The period after surgery but before fills is time for healing, not weight loss. While it is nice to be able to maintain the weight lost during the post op liquid diet, your real weight loss with the band begins after the first fill. I did not gain weight after I returned to solid foods and before my first fill, but I only lost a couple of pounds. That's okay, and you shouldn't worry about it. On the other hand, my feeling during that time was that I should be able to control myself for a short period of time; I did it for the pre op diet and could do it for the post op period because I knew it wasn't forever, and once I had a fill my band would be helping me.

The period after surgery but before fills is time for healing, not weight loss. While it is nice to be able to maintain the weight lost during the post op liquid diet, your real weight loss with the band begins after the first fill. I did not gain weight after I returned to solid foods and before my first fill, but I only lost a couple of pounds. That's okay, and you shouldn't worry about it. On the other hand, my feeling during that time was that I should be able to control myself for a short period of time; I did it for the pre op diet and could do it for the post op period because I knew it wasn't forever, and once I had a fill my band would be helping me.

Thanks for your reply and honesty, I truly appreciate it...I am excited about the new challenge and for every struggle I endure..a positive will result!!

I really struggled with the post opp diet, and did gain some weight back!! AWWWWW I had my first fill today so am planning back on my weight loss journey!! The 3 week liquid diet was the hardest, be prepared!!! It's more mental than physical....

Best of luck!!

Donna

My best advice would be make sure your mind matches the band. If you are thinking the band is a cure all it is anything but, unless you are willing to make some lifetime changes. It is extremely easy to cheat the band, and the resrictive pre-op, and post-op diet can deceive you into thinking it is the band that is making you lose this weight. The band has been a true life safer for thousands of people, but it takes discipline, smart choices, patience, support and exercise. The band can be wonderful tool if you are in the right state of mind to change your life. Talk to veteran bandsters like myself and others who have been banded atleast 2 years, read the books and try to join a bandsters support group, it will really help. Good luck with this fantasticl journey you are about to under take. ><' Helena

My best advice would be make sure your mind matches the band. If you are thinking the band is a cure all it is anything but, unless you are willing to make some lifetime changes. It is extremely easy to cheat the band, and the resrictive pre-op, and post-op diet can deceive you into thinking it is the band that is making you lose this weight. The band has been a true life safer for thousands of people, but it takes discipline, smart choices, patience, support and exercise. The band can be wonderful tool if you are in the right state of mind to change your life. Talk to veteran bandsters like myself and others who have been banded atleast 2 years, read the books and try to join a bandsters support group, it will really help. Good luck with this fantasticl journey you are about to under take. ><' Helena

Helena-

I am so happy to see you posting here again, as one of the Veteran Bandsters (like snowbird) you have so much great advice to offer all of us who are at various stages in our own progress. Thanks again for sharing your experiences!

Thanks, Cathy

When I first decided to get banded and made the appointment, I started eating everything is sight! I couldn't stop. Then, I stepped on the scale and saw I gained 4 pounds. Then Dr. Miranda told me to lose 20 or I coulcn't have surgery. Well, thats all it took. I stopped the gourging and buckled down and lost 17. So, believe me, if I can do it, I am confident you can too!