First Real Meal!

Hey everyone! And Hi to Diane, Val, Antsooz and Lovetta!

Yesterday was my first official meal!

I invited some family and friends over. (I love to cook) I grilled salmon, steamed broccoli (with home made lite hollandaise sauce). I made yellow rice and black beans, bruchetta, and a few other munchies for my guests. I was able to eat about a 3 inch square of salmon, broccoli and a small piece of bruchetta. I was full. I know bandsters have moderate troubles with rice and pastas, so I only gave the rice a little taste. The trick was taking small, deliberate bites and chew, chew, chew. Eat slowly and take the time to enjoy your meal. AND don't drink! That was hard. I am so used to slugging down at least 1 big glass of water with a meal.

We'll see how this week goes.

Anyone with menu ideas for the post-op? Please post! Tell us what works for you!

I am still mega excited, super happy and I have a whole new outlook on life! Thanks Dr. Ortiz!!! ><'

Kate!

Hi Kate,

Congratulations! It sounds like you're doing great. I was banded on March 20th, and am anxiously awaiting my first meal on April 9th. Did you lose any weight on the post op liquid diet? Also, did you concentrate on calories or protien?

Hey everyone! And Hi to Diane, Val, Antsooz and Lovetta!

Yesterday was my first official meal!

I invited some family and friends over. (I love to cook) I grilled salmon, steamed broccoli (with home made lite hollandaise sauce). I made yellow rice and black beans, bruchetta, and a few other munchies for my guests. I was able to eat about a 3 inch square of salmon, broccoli and a small piece of bruchetta. I was full. I know bandsters have moderate troubles with rice and pastas, so I only gave the rice a little taste. The trick was taking small, deliberate bites and chew, chew, chew. Eat slowly and take the time to enjoy your meal. AND don't drink! That was hard. I am so used to slugging down at least 1 big glass of water with a meal.

We'll see how this week goes.

Anyone with menu ideas for the post-op? Please post! Tell us what works for you!

I am still mega excited, super happy and I have a whole new outlook on life! Thanks Dr. Ortiz!!! ><'

Kate!

Hey, I know what you mean!.. I am eating my first meal right now.. ham/cheese omelet with salsa. I have a hard time with breakfast, I always have coffee in the morning and now I am finding myself having to make conscious decisions (paul mckenna?) anyways, it was good to hear from you!

Hi Kate,

Congratulations! It sounds like you're doing great. I was banded on March 20th, and am anxiously awaiting my first meal on April 9th. Did you lose any weight on the post op liquid diet? Also, did you concentrate on calories or protien?

Hi Utahmom,

I feel great. I've lost a total of 21 lbs. since starting the pre-op diet. I have only lost 12 since the surgery. I really didn't watch my calories for my liquids, but concentrated more on the protein. I bought vanilla flavored whey protein and added it to almost everything (except cheddar cheese soup ...blech!)

Anyway, I get on the scale every morning and I know I shouldn't. I don't seem to be losing right now, however I have dropped a pants size, so something's going on.

I really have to become more diligent with counting calories I suppose. I am concerned with the amount of protein I am getting. So I am eating a lot of fish, boca burgers and eggs. I'll let you know how that works...I've only been on solid foods a few days.

Good luck!