DOES IT REALLY WORK?

I AM GETTING BANDED IN A COUPLE OF DAYS AND AFTER READING LOTS OF THE POSTS, I HAVE TO SAY I'M MORE FRIGHTENED NOW, THAN BEFORE I READ. IT SEEMS LIKE YOU HAVE TO BE ON A DIET THE REST OF YOUR LIFE,, AND IF THAT IS THE CASE, WHY GET THE BAND? IS ANYONE OUT THERE THAT HAS BEEN REALLY SUCCESSFUL AND FOR HOW LONG AND WHAT DO YOU EAT?

THANKS FOR ANY INFO,

1FATCAT

I was just banded 3 days ago, but you have to have a mind set that you are gonna work with your band. It is just a tool for you to work with. You still have to make healthy food choices, and the band allows you only eat a small amount.

I don't know if I am replying the correct way, but I thank you for your post. I do know I have to do the work, but there are so many complaints on these posts that it has sunk my mood. I am happy your procedure is over and I hope you are starting to feel better. Thanks for writing.

1fatcat :-h

I don't know if I am replying the correct way, but I thank you for your post. I do know I have to do the work, but there are so many complaints on these posts that it has sunk my mood. I am happy your procedure is over and I hope you are starting to feel better. Thanks for writing.

1fatcat :-h

The band is negative conditioning. It does not just make you not want food. It teaches you that if you overeat you will suffer. Eventually your mind adjusts to this and you do not look to food for a lot of pleasure. You can still enjoy a tasty bite of something, but let's face it, buffets are a waste of time and money.

If you were under the impression that your eating habits would stay the same, but you would now just eat a bit less, I have to say that isn't really accurate. I know that's how some bariatric centers advertise, but it just ain't so for most of us.

Yes it works, and for most of us we lose weight. I would not trade my band for the best seafood buffet in the world. Nothing tastes as good as being thin. That doesn't mean I don't look back with a sigh to some great buffets, though . . .

Dieting isn't the right word. I have to be sure I eat enough of the good foods (protein, vegetables) to be sure I am getting the nutrients my body needs. I can't eat a whole lot, so I have to be sure I'm not filling up on junk. I have days when I do eat junk; I had one day last week when I had ice cream for lunch and onion rings for dinner! Not a great idea for a steady diet, and I had one small scoop of gelato and that was it for lunch, then one-third of an onion ring order I shared with two others, and nothing else. The band made sure the volume of food was down drastically, but I have to decide what kind of food I eat. The band is my safety net that doesn't let me get too far off track, but it doesn't stop me from having ice cream. I have to do that (usually.)

The band is negative conditioning. It does not just make you not want food. It teaches you that if you overeat you will suffer. Eventually your mind adjusts to this and you do not look to food for a lot of pleasure. You can still enjoy a tasty bite of something, but let's face it, buffets are a waste of time and money.

If you were under the impression that your eating habits would stay the same, but you would now just eat a bit less, I have to say that isn't really accurate. I know that's how some bariatric centers advertise, but it just ain't so for most of us.

Yes it works, and for most of us we lose weight. I would not trade my band for the best seafood buffet in the world. Nothing tastes as good as being thin. That doesn't mean I don't look back with a sigh to some great buffets, though . . .

Dieting isn't the right word. I have to be sure I eat enough of the good foods (protein, vegetables) to be sure I am getting the nutrients my body needs. I can't eat a whole lot, so I have to be sure I'm not filling up on junk. I have days when I do eat junk; I had one day last week when I had ice cream for lunch and onion rings for dinner! Not a great idea for a steady diet, and I had one small scoop of gelato and that was it for lunch, then one-third of an onion ring order I shared with two others, and nothing else. The band made sure the volume of food was down drastically, but I have to decide what kind of food I eat. The band is my safety net that doesn't let me get too far off track, but it doesn't stop me from having ice cream. I have to do that (usually.)

I can't tell you how glad I just read this message from Snowbird..it's exactly what I needed to hear....I was afraid that I would never enjoy an ice cream or a french fry again, but you can have it, as a treat once in awhile as long as you go right back on track for nutritional sake. I am even more convinced that this is the route for me. Thanks for your words of wisdom!

I have had to diet my whole life and only got really thin once for a couple of years so I am so leery; but desperate for this to work.

I think you made me feel lots better and I want to thank you all for responding. I am 64 now and just so afraid this isn't going to work either. Buy you have given me hope.

Thanks again,

1 fatcat :-h

I truly understand what you are saying, and completely understand your concerns. When I researched the band the more people or doctors I talked to, the more questions I had. It went from one extreme of it was a complete lifesaver and basically their lifes changed overnight to, they were completely disappointed because their own expectations were too high. The band will change the way you eat and how you look at food, which is a good thing, plus you do have to eat differently, but don't look at it as a life long diet. You will be eating smaller portions, and hopefuly better choices. You will eat slower which makes you get fuller so much sooner then you would expect. As you lose your weight, which I'm sure you will with great success each day gets a little easier. You will have those days, especially social functions when it is hard, don't deprive yourself just make better choices. Get support, post on the forum when you need help, ask questions, #1 think of yourself and what a wonderful gift this can be and how much you deserve it. Good luck & stay strong! ><' Helena

I AM GETTING BANDED IN A COUPLE OF DAYS AND AFTER READING LOTS OF THE POSTS, I HAVE TO SAY I'M MORE FRIGHTENED NOW, THAN BEFORE I READ. IT SEEMS LIKE YOU HAVE TO BE ON A DIET THE REST OF YOUR LIFE,, AND IF THAT IS THE CASE, WHY GET THE BAND? IS ANYONE OUT THERE THAT HAS BEEN REALLY SUCCESSFUL AND FOR HOW LONG AND WHAT DO YOU EAT?

THANKS FOR ANY INFO,

1FATCAT

You may think of it as a "diet" but most people can eat what they want to some degree they are just eating 2/3rds less than they used to! For me I have been dieting off an on for 5 years (since I gained 70lbs with my pregnancy) I would always do great for the first 1-2 weeks then I would get a craving or make a poor choice by binge eating on something that was restricted from my diet at the time. Then my mindset was, what the hell I have already blown my diet for the day and I would fall off the bandwagon!

For me my lap band is a safety net so I don't give in to excess, yes I will still get a craving for pizza but instead of eating 5 slices like I did in the past my band might only allow me to have one, and feel really full after eating it... so it's win-win I got to have my craving food but I didn't give in and overeat because the band won't let me... Really what could be better than that?

Hello Everyone,

You are all truly wonderful. I woke up this am (4:15 East coast time) to your great and supportive comments. I will be boarding the plane in three hours and will be in CA this afternoon to become one of the "future skinnies". I will keep you posted on my progress next week and after.

Be happy, :-h

1fatcat