Banded May 16

Well, I did it!! I've been an RN for 20+ years & was very skeptical about going to Mexico for surgery. However, I did my homework, read this board & took the plunge. I didn't qualify for surgery in the US b/c I'm not "dying" or don't have any comorbities. Never mind the fact that my struggle to keep weight off dominates my every waking moment!!

Anyway, I made my appt. for about 3 wks. after I talked to Carolyn. I could have gone sooner if I could have arranged it. I flew to San Diego; was met by Abraham, the driver for the Clinic. Very nice, but a man of few words. My suitcase stayed in Atlanta but Abraham was coming back to the airport later so he picked it up & brought it to me. Anyway, on arrival to San Diego, Abraham took us to the clinic (about a 25 min ride). It's a brand new clinic, very clean. I was immediately greeted by Rene & taken to get blood drawn. Then went back to the waiting room for about 2 minutes then in to see the cardiopulmonologist, Dr. Jiminez. Had a breathing test & an EKG. Then in to see the dietician, Dr. Miranda. All very nice & put me at ease. Then I met Mrs. Ortiz, Dr. Ortiz' mother. She is the patient advocate; the sweetest, cutest thing you'll ever meet. She took us to the Lucerne hotel & dropped us off telling us she'd pick us up at 8:00 a.m. We checked in then proceded to have a nice lunch.

The next day at precisely 8 a.m. Mrs. Ortiz took me & 2 others to the clinic. We filled out op permits & I was the first to go in. I was placed in a nice room & told to undress, gown & put TED (circulation) hose on. Then the nurse (eye candy!!) started my IV & gave me a pill to relax. I got antibiotics (rocephin), stomach med (nexium), nausea med (zofran) all in my IV. I don't do drugs very well so by the time the surgeons came to talk to me, I was very groggy. I do remember talking to Dr. Ortiz & Dr. Martinez vaguely.

I woke up in the room I was to spend the night in (I think). It was very cozy. A little fountain on the bedside table, phone to call the nurse, flat screen TV, couch, chair, tree...very nice. I stayed there that night while my husband was taken back to the hotel by Mrs. Ortiz.

Next day, I was discharged to the hotel with instructions to meet Abraham at 6 a.m. to catch my flight the next day. The trip back to San Diego can take up to 3 hrs. due to traffic & customs. No problems though. We were at the airport in 1 1/2 hr. I was concerned about nausea & gas pain but had neither. The pain pills they provide are sufficient (non-narcotic). I feel like I have a side-ache from running too much. No great pains. Also like I need to burp & can't.

I know this is long but I wanted lots of info when I was looking. If you have questions, please ask. :P

Well, I did it!! I've been an RN for 20+ years & was very skeptical about going to Mexico for surgery. However, I did my homework, read this board & took the plunge. I didn't qualify for surgery in the US b/c I'm not "dying" or don't have any comorbities. Never mind the fact that my struggle to keep weight off dominates my every waking moment!!

Anyway, I made my appt. for about 3 wks. after I talked to Carolyn. I could have gone sooner if I could have arranged it. I flew to San Diego; was met by Abraham, the driver for the Clinic. Very nice, but a man of few words. My suitcase stayed in Atlanta but Abraham was coming back to the airport later so he picked it up & brought it to me. Anyway, on arrival to San Diego, Abraham took us to the clinic (about a 25 min ride). It's a brand new clinic, very clean. I was immediately greeted by Rene & taken to get blood drawn. Then went back to the waiting room for about 2 minutes then in to see the cardiopulmonologist, Dr. Jiminez. Had a breathing test & an EKG. Then in to see the dietician, Dr. Miranda. All very nice & put me at ease. Then I met Mrs. Ortiz, Dr. Ortiz' mother. She is the patient advocate; the sweetest, cutest thing you'll ever meet. She took us to the Lucerne hotel & dropped us off telling us she'd pick us up at 8:00 a.m. We checked in then proceded to have a nice lunch.

The next day at precisely 8 a.m. Mrs. Ortiz took me & 2 others to the clinic. We filled out op permits & I was the first to go in. I was placed in a nice room & told to undress, gown & put TED (circulation) hose on. Then the nurse (eye candy!!) started my IV & gave me a pill to relax. I got antibiotics (rocephin), stomach med (nexium), nausea med (zofran) all in my IV. I don't do drugs very well so by the time the surgeons came to talk to me, I was very groggy. I do remember talking to Dr. Ortiz & Dr. Martinez vaguely.

I woke up in the room I was to spend the night in (I think). It was very cozy. A little fountain on the bedside table, phone to call the nurse, flat screen TV, couch, chair, tree...very nice. I stayed there that night while my husband was taken back to the hotel by Mrs. Ortiz.

Next day, I was discharged to the hotel with instructions to meet Abraham at 6 a.m. to catch my flight the next day. The trip back to San Diego can take up to 3 hrs. due to traffic & customs. No problems though. We were at the airport in 1 1/2 hr. I was concerned about nausea & gas pain but had neither. The pain pills they provide are sufficient (non-narcotic). I feel like I have a side-ache from running too much. No great pains. Also like I need to burp & can't.

I know this is long but I wanted lots of info when I was looking. If you have questions, please ask. :P