I'm HUNGRY

apple

I was banded on 3-24 by Dr Ortiz and I haven't felt any restriction at all! :angry: I have been hungry the entire time. Not head hunger either as I have been keeping myself VERY busy trying not to think about it. I am to the creamy soup stage (yesterday was the start of week 2) but I can't seem to get past the "rumbly in my tumbly" stage. I know it isn't forever and soon I'll be able to have texture but.....(screaming in my head). :(( I have a friend who was banded a little over a year ago and she said she was hungry but the results are worth it. I was worrying that maybe the Dr cut me open and forgot to band me?!?! Please help me with any suggestions, tell me to cowboy up, something........I'm Gagging down high protein drinks (EAS, Slimfast Optima, Muscle Milk or whatever it's called, K2O protein water (well I like that)) If there are some other tricks from the veterans I beg of you, PLEASE help before I eat my young LOL!!!! :(( :(( :((

Boy do I ever remember week 2, I thought I was going to chew my arm off! Then week 3 came and I got real food! But no restriction, no problems, no nothing...so I guess really I'm lucky to be doing so well. I'm not worrying about it anymore and am focused on healing and preparing for fill in two weeks.

SJ

I'm sure you did your own research. Most people don't have any restriction until your first fill. The post-op diet sucks, but you are healing. I'm sure your hunger is real, don't give into it. Successul bandsters usually lose weight before their first fill due to they follow their post-op diet to the tee. It is extremely restrictive, plus some start an exercise program. I hate to say it but your band isn't working yet. Drink V-8, chicken broth, H20 with Crystal Light, protein drinks you can handle, fruit juice is ok, but usually high in calories, get one that is 100% juice. Get support, remember why you got the surgery, how important this is to you. It is only 6 weeks of your life that it has to be this restrictive, than it will be so much easier. Now is the time to get our head in the same place as your band, the band is only a tool, "a safety net" to help you along your weight lose journey, the rest is mental. GET SUPPORT!!!! It will keep you motivated. You will do awesome, it just dosen't seem like it now. The band works, just be patient. Stay strong!!!!!! ><' Helena

We know what you are going through! It is so very hard, but remember to take care of your band...you don't want to undo what you have done so far. Things will definitely get better. Maybe try some watered down mashed potatoes, or applesauce, suck on frozen grapes (don't eat them though). Sugarfree fudgecicles were a comfort food for me during this time. I also drank buttermilk, for some reason that would satisfy me the most....most people don't like it, but for me it was a treat. Hope this helps some.

><' Hugs to you ><'

I found I had less hunger pangs if I stayed away from sugary things. That's hard on a liquid diet. When I really wanted something more substantial in the liquid phase, I would add a bit of instant potato flakes to broth. It gave a little bit of texture and body to the broth but still was liquid. Hang in there, it isn't forever!

Thank you so much for all the advice. Today I nuked some Campbell's fiesta nacho cheese soup and then strained all the peppers out as to not have any chunks and I feel like I came back from the buffet!! I'm making chili tonight (kidney beans, hamburger tomato sauce that kind of chili) do you think if I put it my magic bullet and made it really runny is that fine? No chunks but some consistency?!? Any suggestions? :-?

Thank you so much for all the advice. Today I nuked some Campbell's fiesta nacho cheese soup and then strained all the peppers out as to not have any chunks and I feel like I came back from the buffet!! I'm making chili tonight (kidney beans, hamburger tomato sauce that kind of chili) do you think if I put it my magic bullet and made it really runny is that fine? No chunks but some consistency?!? Any suggestions? :-?

Blender it! Make it drinkable, at least you get the taste.

You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I put in my blender during the first 3 weeks on the post op diet, Ha ha ha! By the time I hit the third week I added Ham to campbells cheddar cheese soup! You have to get creative. :rolleyes:

I am on my first week of solid food now and feel only a little restriction, but not hungry all the time like I was prior to getting my band. I am thinking my first fill will be the last week in April.

This is quite the journey and I am really loving it! ><'

Good luck to you! I will look for posts on your progress.

Kate

I am hungry too. :huh:

I really only get hungry late at night when I am trying to go to sleep though. I have really bad hunger pains and my stomach growls like crazy. I get really full after I drink broth though so I feel I do have some restriction.