*Fills* TJ versus Fill Centers USA

Greetings to all,

I was banded in TJ on March 20th, and need to make an appointment for a fill soon. There is a Fill Center USA very close to me. I'm wondering if those that go back to TJ end up having fewer fills. Or, is it better to get the fill close to where you live for ease of follow-up? Would love to hear about others experiences.

Thanks!

I am planning on going back to TJ for my first fill - just for the peace of mind of floro & making sure all is OK.

After that I plan on going to my local fill center.

Do you know when you are going to go for your fill? Maybe we could go the same time and share the cost of transportation. Let me know.

I'm due for my first fill around April 30, and I'm planning on going back to TJ. It will cost me the same to fly down there as it would to pay to have someone here do it. I'm more concerned with someone screwing it up, and I'm far more confident in Dr. Ortiz and his staff than in American doctors.

I'm due for my first fill around April 30, and I'm planning on going back to TJ. It will cost me the same to fly down there as it would to pay to have someone here do it. I'm more concerned with someone screwing it up, and I'm far more confident in Dr. Ortiz and his staff than in American doctors.

I need to go for my fill around the same date. If we all coordinated our arrival in San Diego at close to the same time, we could share the cost of the van to transport us. I was thinking of flying in early morning and going home the same afternoon. Claudia at OBCT told me that they would charge $130.00 RT for Francisco to take us to and from the airpot, but we could split it.

The trip to TJ from MS completely exhausted me and I won't be going back for fills. I have found a Bariatric surgeon about 20 mins from me to do my fills.

I'm planning on going back to the OCC for my 1st fill the week of May 16-23ish. I will be in Oceanside that week anyway (time share there) so if anyone else needs a ride, we rent a car for transportation anyway. I'm only concerned about getting back across the border. Does anyone else know if it's the same process-except you drive and not walk?? We don't have passports but you don't need one til after June 1st.

Thanks

Amber

Hey all, went for my first fill in TJ from Las Vegas...... and besided geting lost in TJ after driving over th border, th experiene was great! =D>

Dr. Romero, is awesome and got my port the first time.... no pain. I had this same thought until one of the girls in my support group got her fill at a fill center here in LV and later discovered that she has no restriction and had to return and repay. Now, that is not to say that the fill centers are good or bad. However I do know that they are costly! Just the peace that I could connect with OCC was great for me and Dr, Ortiz and I had a chance to chit chat! Go to OCC if you can!

Monet ><'

I called Lori to discuss the price of Francisco picking us up at the airport again, and she told me that they have a special for $299 that includes the ride to and from the airport, a fill which includes a fluroscope, and one night at the Lucerna. We hopped ALL over that and are going on May 6th for the fill.

We are flying for 250, and the total package for me is $550, which is cheaper than driving to the closest fill center to me, the hotel for that night, and the fill with fluroscope.

Even though it is a 6.5 flight for us, we will be making it. The finances are just better.

I'm planning on going back to the OCC for my 1st fill the week of May 16-23ish. I will be in Oceanside that week anyway (time share there) so if anyone else needs a ride, we rent a car for transportation anyway. I'm only concerned about getting back across the border. Does anyone else know if it's the same process-except you drive and not walk?? We don't have passports but you don't need one til after June 1st.

Thanks

Amber

Are you sure you can take a rental car into Mexico?? You need to buy special insurance to drive down there. We drive to San Ysidro, then walk across the border and catch a cab to the clinic when we go.

I called Lori to discuss the price of Francisco picking us up at the airport again, and she told me that they have a special for $299 that includes the ride to and from the airport, a fill which includes a fluroscope, and one night at the Lucerna. We hopped ALL over that and are going on May 6th for the fill.

We are flying for 250, and the total package for me is $550, which is cheaper than driving to the closest fill center to me, the hotel for that night, and the fill with fluroscope.

Even though it is a 6.5 flight for us, we will be making it. The finances are just better.

Does this special have an "expiration" date? I tried to call and I left a message but thought maybe you would answer faster. That would be ahuge savings for me!! Thanks in advance for any info!

It is so easy to take the Trolley from the airport to the border and only costs about 5-6 dollars! I did it alone for the first time and was surprised how pleasant and easy this was. I would have loved some company on the journey though! Once you cross the border there is a Taxi stand and costs $5.00 to go to the Lucerna or the clinic (agree on price before you get in the cab).

Getting into TJ is quick....getting out takes forever!

My friend and I took a taxi from the clinic to the boarder line and got "bambooseled" by some guy that for $10 each he "drive us across border real fast". Well 45 minutes later the van left the parking space and it took 45 minutes just to get to the actual crossing by foot gate. We didn't drive across the boarder like we thought we would.

The clinic has a good deal.

Getting into TJ is quick....getting out takes forever!

not always. It depends on the day of the week and the time of the year. My daughter and I went for a fill once and had a 1 hr 20 minute wait in line to get back to the US. Husband and I went down for fills in January and February midweek. We took a cab to the walkthrough customs line, then walked right up to the building. We have maybe 4 or 5 people in front of us. If you are able to walk a half mile, then I think the easiest/cheapest way across is to walk from a parking lot on the US side and take a cab to and from the border crossing. $8 to park, $5 for cab each way.

• 3 weeks later...

I am scheduled for my second fill at OCC this coming week. It costs $300 to fly from VA, and will probably be another $300+ for transportation,

fill and hotel - and I was about to cancel it all and drive to a fill center 150 miles away, but when I was reading the "rules" on the Fill Centers USA

website, this stopped me cold: {I'm paraphrasing} - if they cause damage to your port or tubing - they wont fix it - its on me to pay to repair.

Uhm, NO ! If they screw it up they better fix it for FREE. They wont, so I'll go back to OCC whom I know and trust to do it right -- even if its twice

as much. I was really going to use the Fill Center, but not after reading that.

Tijuana, here I come!

Lisa

Depending on the car rental company, insurance to drive into Mexico is between $25.00-30.00 per day in Mexico in addition to the daily rental rates.

Are you sure you can take a rental car into Mexico?? You need to buy special insurance to drive down there. We drive to San Ysidro, then walk across the border and catch a cab to the clinic when we go.

I am scheduled for my second fill at OCC this coming week. It costs $300 to fly from VA, and will probably be another $300+ for transportation,

fill and hotel - and I was about to cancel it all and drive to a fill center 150 miles away, but when I was reading the "rules" on the Fill Centers USA

website, this stopped me cold: {I'm paraphrasing} - if they cause damage to your port or tubing - they wont fix it - its on me to pay to repair.

Uhm, NO ! If they screw it up they better fix it for FREE. They wont, so I'll go back to OCC whom I know and trust to do it right -- even if its twice

as much. I was really going to use the Fill Center, but not after reading that.

Tijuana, here I come!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

That's exactly the same reason I decided to go back to the OCC for my fill. And I'm coming from British Columbia, Canada.

My fill is scheduled for May 29th.

Denise

Hey Red!! And you-all! ><'

I called Claudia to get my appt. and she quoted me $279 for the fill package..[i saw someone else had $299] Did you get the fill package Red? I just feel better going back to TJ and Dr. Ortiz and staff to get my fill done. I may get any follow up one's done in NY, but am still thinking about it. I'm flying in early on May 29th, being filled that day and flying out the next day. I know that it's a long, long trip, but I feel better go back to the OCC. [it seems funny writing that,.. most people are scared to death to come to Mexico and I feel better going back!!] :girl_witch: Look, I'm on my way!! :lol2:

Does anyone know if there are any hotels right near the airport if I opted for the plane/trolley/taxi/fill/taxi/trolley/ route. I think I would feel better spending the night right near the airport so I could get to an early flight the next am.

Thanks

Amber

I am planning to go on May 19th with 2 other gals. My appt. is at 9:30 a.m. does that work, I would love to share the ride with you..Pargirl

The trip to TJ from MS completely exhausted me and I won't be going back for fills. I have found a Bariatric surgeon about 20 mins from me to do my fills.

I understand this perfectly! I am going back for my fill on May 6th, but my knees aren't wonderful, and 6 hours on a plane each way plus all the down time is totally exhausting and painful.

Problem is, I DO trust the doctors in TJ more, but not only that, it would cost the same for me to get it filled here as it would to fly there and get it.

Something for me to work out after my fill....

Hey all, went for my first fill in TJ from Las Vegas...... and besided geting lost in TJ after driving over th border, th experiene was great! =D>

Dr. Romero, is awesome and got my port the first time.... no pain. I had this same thought until one of the girls in my support group got her fill at a fill center here in LV and later discovered that she has no restriction and had to return and repay. Now, that is not to say that the fill centers are good or bad. However I do know that they are costly! Just the peace that I could connect with OCC was great for me and Dr, Ortiz and I had a chance to chit chat! Go to OCC if you can!

Monet ><'

It is so good to hear from you!