How soon did you go back to work after surgery?

I am wondering how much time to book off work...I work in an office and the ladies are like family...but I wonder if going back right after surgery (2-3 days) is wise..especially during the first week on liquids...I would appreciate your feedback...thanks Cathy

I have a great disability plan at work so I tried to get off as long as possible. The Doctors at OCC only wanted to give me 2 weeks but I talked them into 3. I am on my second week now and am so glad I am home. I know lots of gals go right back but I didn't want too since I have never had surgery before so I didn't know what to expect. I have an office job too but I still have to lift heavy things and twist and move a lot so I am glad to be here. Plus I had some complications with vomitting that I would be horrified if it would have happened at work.

I have been at my job for 20 years and never once used the disability plan (I get full pay for up to 6 months out on a disability) so I thought, why not use it while I have a reason.

Now yesterday, I swept and mopped all of my floors (hardwood) and although I am 10 days post op, I did get sore. I should have done a room at a time instead of all in one day.

So, I guess I am saying, if you can take off, then go for it. Why not pamper yourself?

I think it depends on the individual. My daughter (age 13) and I were banded on a Thursday. and we were back to school and work the following Monday--no problems. :)

Thanks for the feedback...I was thinking of taking from say Wed or Thursday to Monday. Of course, if I need more time I will take it. But my job is strictly desk work and requires no lifting and the girls I work with are super supportive and like family....so even if I cried or threw up, they would be there to help!

Best of luck to you all !! Cathy

I am going to Mex on a Thur and coming back on Sun. I also gave myself Monday off of work, so I'll return Tuesday. I didn't want to take too much time off from work because I didn't want to get lazy. I believe that being active (within reason) is a great way to help yourself heal. I got here by being lazy...gotta end that sooner than later! Obviously, if I'm not feeling well, that'll change, but I'm staying positive and maintaining that I won't! :)