Low BMI surgery?

I talked to Dr. Miranda today about it, she said the band is just as effective as with higher BMI's.

I have a BMI of 32 as well and being banded on April 8, Tuesday... I will let you know how it goes.

Hello,

My BMI was 35. I'm 5' 5.5" and weighed 214. I just had my surgery last week. So far, so good! :)

The Doc's here in the states wouldn't even see me, basically said I wasn't fat enough. I have blood pressure issues and diabetes runs in my family. I wanted to nip it in the bud, and I have no regrets! ;)

Darlene

My BMI is 33.3 and OCC approved me for surgery. I had the same problem here in the states... My doctor told me I had to lose weight but refused to help in any way :angry: (medications, WLS). I also have a family history of diabetes and my glucose and cholesterol are at unhealthy levels. :-?

dita?

Hey all. I am scheduled for surgery on August 29th. I am so glad to have found this forum - for low BMI patients. As most of you here have mentioned, my Dr. always says that I need to lose weight, but I am not a candidate for WLS of any kind cause I am not FAT ENOUGH - hmmmmmm now isn't that unusual. It seems to me as though the Dr.'s here in the states are saying "well, you're too fat, but you're not fat enough for us to help you. So, when you are closer to imminent death, THEN come back and see us again. Good luck till then." Its (pardon my language) f**ked up if you ask me. It just is.

Anyhow, I am (was) in the same boat. At 5'5", and about 190 lbs, my BMI is only 32, but still I am considered obese (oh, but not obese ENOUGH to get help). I have dieted since I was like 12... I have been on any kind of pill you can mention, LA Weightloss, Nutrisystem, Slimfast, Dr. monitored diets (bullcrap), starvation/excessive exercise aka anorexia - which worked by the way but let me tell you its not a good idea cause you gain the weight back tenfold when you can't handle starving anymore. I have tried it all, and at age 25, I am sick and tired of it and I want to live a life where food does not dominate my entire waking life. I want to be out having fun, wearing clothes that are cute, I want to be energetic, feel good about myself, etc. I have some major health problems (PCOS - polysystic ovarian syndrom. This causes me to be insulin resistant - similar to diabetic. I am sure several of you women on here struggle with this as well. Also hypothyroidism is a problem for me, and runs in my family.) Heart disease runs in my family, diabetes, obesity, etc.

I am so happy that I found OCC because I was about to throw in the towel. I was honestly considering gaining enough weight to be 'fat enough' to get WLS in the states, but I couldn't bear the thought of doing it, then not being approved through the insurance company. It wasn't worth the risk. So, anyhow... sorry for my rant - I am just so happy to have found this forum, and I am so excited for my surgery.

Hello truely......

Your story is very much like mine!! Don't worry, you'll do fine going to Dr. Ortiz, he's great, his staff's great and the area where they're located is very nice. By the way... you're having your surgery on my birthday!!! =D>

If you have any questions, just ask, this forum is terrific! Best wishes, Darlene :-h

Hello truely......

Your story is very much like mine!! Don't worry, you'll do fine going to Dr. Ortiz, he's great, his staff's great and the area where they're located is very nice. By the way... you're having your surgery on my birthday!!! =D>

If you have any questions, just ask, this forum is terrific! Best wishes, Darlene :-h

Hello, Darlene! Thanks for the reply. When did you have your surgery? Your birthday this year will be an exciting day for me, that is for sure! =D> woohoo! lol. I am nervous about this, but from the minute that I read about OCC and Dr. Ortiz, I KNEW in my heart that this was the answer for me. I didn't even question it. I already had financing set up because I was going to have a procedure done a while back, but ended up not getting it... so it was just meant to be. Super excited. :lol:

Hello, Darlene! Thanks for the reply. When did you have your surgery? Your birthday this year will be an exciting day for me, that is for sure! =D> woohoo! lol. I am nervous about this, but from the minute that I read about OCC and Dr. Ortiz, I KNEW in my heart that this was the answer for me. I didn't even question it. I already had financing set up because I was going to have a procedure done a while back, but ended up not getting it... so it was just meant to be. Super excited. :lol:

I had my surgey on 3-25, so I'm a newbie! :P I'd wish you good luck, but you won't need it! They take super good care of you.... you'll see! The people at the Lucerna Hotel are great too, they help you with any shopping info you need. They warned us about some of the taxi drivers that try to charge too much to go to revolution ave., only give them $5. Bargain with the store owners, never give them the price they ask. If you like jewelry, you'll love shopping there!! Anything else, let me know!! :-h Darlene

Just curious... did you have to go on the preop diet? If so, how much did you lose?

Thanks,

Audrey :-?

I did the pre-op diet, and lost 11 lb. in 1 week. Which sucks, because in the almost 3 weeks since the surgery, I've only lost another 8. LOL! (And I've been eating only between 500-800 calories per day) *sigh* I'm guessing I'm in "starvation mode", but I'm afraid to eat any more. Crazy, huh?

I did the pre-op diet, and lost 11 lb. in 1 week. Which sucks, because in the almost 3 weeks since the surgery, I've only lost another 8. LOL! (And I've been eating only between 500-800 calories per day) *sigh* I'm guessing I'm in "starvation mode", but I'm afraid to eat any more. Crazy, huh?

At 800 calories (or less) each day you are definitely in starvation mode, I know it's hard but for the next 5 days bump it up to 1000calories at least and I bet you will see some results again. I was doing shakes for most of the 3 week liquids phase (never been a soup person) and with 5 shakes a day (at 160 cal each) I was only getting 800 calories per day so I added the 200cal more (using 2 tablespoons of peanut butter in my breakfast shake) and that kick started my weight loss back into high gear and i lost 3 or 4 lbs that week because I was eating more calories! Crazy huh?

My BMI is 32 but I have a strong family history of health problems (diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, ect). Has anyone here had this surgery with a BMI in the low 30's and how successfull was it?

I had a BMI of 32 when I started. I was 5'7" and my high weight was 209. I had arthritis in my neck and low back and high cholestrol, otherwise I was pretty healthy(oops I forgot to mention stress incontinence). I had no tolerance for exercise at all. I couldn't bend over to buckle my ski boots. I was extremely sedentary. I got banded on March 22, 2007. I have had 1 fill so far. A year later my weight is 150. I have had slow weight loss at times, but I am extremely satisfied with my results. I have gone from a size 18 to an 8. I just recently got a fill. I waited almost a year to get my first fill because I was slowly losing weight without it. I had the fill on March 8, 2008 and I've lost 12 pounds since then. I think I am probably a little too "tight" right now, but I am trying to give it some time to see if things settle down a bit. I feel good. I exercise 5 times a week at the gym. I feel like a different, younger, sexier person. I am really glad I got the band.

Marsene

My BMI is 32 but I have a strong family history of health problems (diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, ect). Has anyone here had this surgery with a BMI in the low 30's and how successfull was it?

I was just banded on 4/3 with a BMI of 28. I got a lot of questions and disapproving glances at the center, but so far, I think I made the right decision. I am only 20 and have been struggling with my weight for years. I have tried everything, like most of you and figured there was nothing to lose from having this surgery, and a lot to gain, hopefully a life-long solution; especially while my parents are still supporting me :) . Dr. Miranda assured me I would still be able to lose weight. Anyway, I'll be sure to let you all know my progress, as I was skeptical at first going into surgery with a lower BMI than most. Good luck!

Hey all. I am scheduled for surgery on August 29th. I am so glad to have found this forum - for low BMI patients. As most of you here have mentioned, my Dr. always says that I need to lose weight, but I am not a candidate for WLS of any kind cause I am not FAT ENOUGH - hmmmmmm now isn't that unusual. It seems to me as though the Dr.'s here in the states are saying "well, you're too fat, but you're not fat enough for us to help you. So, when you are closer to imminent death, THEN come back and see us again. Good luck till then." Its (pardon my language) f**ked up if you ask me. It just is.

Anyhow, I am (was) in the same boat. At 5'5", and about 190 lbs, my BMI is only 32, but still I am considered obese (oh, but not obese ENOUGH to get help). I have dieted since I was like 12... I have been on any kind of pill you can mention, LA Weightloss, Nutrisystem, Slimfast, Dr. monitored diets (bullcrap), starvation/excessive exercise aka anorexia - which worked by the way but let me tell you its not a good idea cause you gain the weight back tenfold when you can't handle starving anymore. I have tried it all, and at age 25, I am sick and tired of it and I want to live a life where food does not dominate my entire waking life. I want to be out having fun, wearing clothes that are cute, I want to be energetic, feel good about myself, etc. I have some major health problems (PCOS - polysystic ovarian syndrom. This causes me to be insulin resistant - similar to diabetic. I am sure several of you women on here struggle with this as well. Also hypothyroidism is a problem for me, and runs in my family.) Heart disease runs in my family, diabetes, obesity, etc.

I am so happy that I found OCC because I was about to throw in the towel. I was honestly considering gaining enough weight to be 'fat enough' to get WLS in the states, but I couldn't bear the thought of doing it, then not being approved through the insurance company. It wasn't worth the risk. So, anyhow... sorry for my rant - I am just so happy to have found this forum, and I am so excited for my surgery.

I agree the system here in America is so unfair! I'm glad we are able to take matters in to our own hands without having to pay several thousands!! Does anybody who has already had the surgery with a low BMI feel their experience differed to the others on the general forum?

BTW MamaMichelle: i love to see how well you're progressing. It truly has been an inspiration in my research!! You should be proud of what you've done for yourself and your future! *gush gush*

dita?

I agree the system here in America is so unfair! I'm glad we are able to take matters in to our own hands without having to pay several thousands!! Does anybody who has already had the surgery with a low BMI feel their experience differed to the others on the general forum?

BTW MamaMichelle: i love to see how well you're progressing. It truly has been an inspiration in my research!! You should be proud of what you've done for yourself and your future! *gush gush*

dita?

Thanks for the compliments, I've been working the band as much as I can!!

As for your question the only thing I have heard about lower BMI patients is that they may not lose weight AS FAST, and it can seem that their losses are smaller.. But if someone is 300lbs it is possible for them to lose 10% of their weight (30lbs) in the first few months, now if someone is only 180lbs if they lose the same 10% of their weight in the first few months it would only be a loss of 18lbs but their percentages are the same...