4/21 Banding - Lots of Silly Questions

Hi all....I'm getting banded on 4/21. My buddy and I have worked together for the past 5 years and decided to support each other by "banding" together. We are not travelling with our spouses. Here's my first silly question. What do we do with our personal things since we'll both be in surgery, with no one waiting in the wings? Does the hospital have any safe or security system to hold your wallet, passport, etc while your knocked out?

I see OCC recommends optifast powder shakes pre and post operatively. Has anyone used the ready made drinks by Optifast? I think I'm more nervous about not being able to follow the pre-op instructions well enough. I've done the Medifast shakes off and on recently and am struggling to lose any considerable weight.

I'm excited and nervous at the same time.

Hi, I was banded on April 2 and stayed overnite in the hospital in a private room. Since you will be banded with your friend you will be in a room for two. The hospital is clean, much better than most, the staff is WONDERFUL and the doctors are exceptional. Now, as far as your personals, including underwear and wallet - no problem. The people couldn't be more honest. The things will remain in your room at the hospital and nobody will touch them.

The diet - actually I had a hard time with the before diet because I had company visiting. If all fails do the shake diet. I did not try the optifast one, so I can't answer that question, but I'm sure someone will today. It is better to diet as much as you can as the fat around the liver is reduced and that makes the op easier for both you and Dr. Ortiz. :-h

The surgery was a breeze. I still have gas pains in my shoulders, but my stomach is doing fine. I have gained 1/2 lbs on liquids and I may add I'm not drinking a ton as I have no appetite so I amconfused by the gain but I am sure it can be explained. In fact I will look for answers on the forum this am. I'm just mentioning it so that if you experience it, you won't panic.

Best of luck to you both.

1Fat Cat =D>

Hi all....I'm getting banded on 4/21. My buddy and I have worked together for the past 5 years and decided to support each other by "banding" together. We are not travelling with our spouses. Here's my first silly question. What do we do with our personal things since we'll both be in surgery, with no one waiting in the wings? Does the hospital have any safe or security system to hold your wallet, passport, etc while your knocked out?

I see OCC recommends optifast powder shakes pre and post operatively. Has anyone used the ready made drinks by Optifast? I think I'm more nervous about not being able to follow the pre-op instructions well enough. I've done the Medifast shakes off and on recently and am struggling to lose any considerable weight.

I used the Adkins Advantage shakes. They have lots of protein and it really kept me full and they tatse great! You and your friend won't be in the operating room at the same time, so you can both take turns watching each others stuff. But I wouldn't worry too much. I have never heard of anyone having anything taken. Besides, you will meet a lot of other people there who can help watch stuff too.

Dr. Miranda has me on 1 Slimfast Optima shake for breakfast, one Lean Cuisine for lunch and one Lean Cuisine for dinner.

I've lost 18 pounds in 4 weeks! Those darn Lean Cuisine's are really good and the Slimfast is so much better than I remember.

You should call Dr. Miranda and ask if you can change diets if you are struggling on the one you are on.

I get banded on May 8 and I've already lost the weight Dr. Miranda wanted me to, but I plan on staying on this diet until my date so I can lose as much as I can before banding.

Jena

Hi Bjansert,

I will be banded on April 21 as well :) ! I will be travelling alone as we don't have anyone to watch our girls.

I am starting a liquid diet 1 week prior to the surgery and plan to use Slimfast as I cannot find Optifast near us.

I look forward to meeting you and your friend!

Cheers!

What do we do with our personal things since we'll both be in surgery, with no one waiting in the wings? Does the hospital have any safe or security system to hold your wallet, passport, etc while your knocked out?

I HAD THAT SAME QUESTION WHEN I WAS BANDED. I WAS JUST TOLD MY "STUFF" WOULD BE SAFE AND OTHERS FELT SAFE LEAVING THERE PURSE ETC IN THEIR ROOMS. I THOUGHT OKKKKKKKKKK, THAT WASN'T REALLY WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR. WHEN MY FRIEND AND I ARRIVED, GOT SETTLED IN OUR ROOMS, IT WASN'T EVEN AN ISSUE LIKE OTHERS HAD STATED. WHEN WE CAME OUT OF SURGERY, EVERYTHING WAS STILL JUST AS IT HAD BEEN IN OUR OCC ROOMS.

IT REALLY WOULD BE NICE IF THEY DID HAVE A LOCKER AT LEAST FOR YOUR PURSE BUT AGAIN IT WASN'T EVEN AN ISSUE. NOT ONCE WHEN I WAS THERE DID I FEEL ANYONE WOULD "MESS" WITH MY PERSONAL BELONGINGS.

Hi Bjansert,

I will be banded on April 21 as well :) ! I will be travelling alone as we don't have anyone to watch our girls.

I am starting a liquid diet 1 week prior to the surgery and plan to use Slimfast as I cannot find Optifast near us.

I look forward to meeting you and your friend!

Cheers!

I ordered Optifast through the occ website. It was kinda expensive but I split it w/someone. They tasted okay, but not filling. so I added half a banana and some strawberries and made a smoothie. I liked that. I figured that it equaled out buy the time I over ate on other crappy food.

at the hotel, If you are staying in your own room, you need to take your stuff w/ you. If you are staying in a room w/ someone you can leave your stuff at the hotel. We had to ask to find out. I went with someone but we got seperate rooms which was nice. We figured we are still paying the same amount, might as well have the room to ourselves. We just requested it in advance. It was nice having the bathroom, tv and time to yourself. For my first fill, we shared a room cause we obviously had to pay for it:)

I'm sure that slimfast would be fine also. For me it was more getting used to drinking liquids before the surgery so any liquid supplement would have been fine for me. Everyone is different though.

• 2 weeks later...

Well hi there, I used the Optifast ready shakes, powder shakes, bars, and entrees during my pre-op diet and really liked them. They tasted better than what I expected and did the job. I lost about 12 pounds in 12 days and was very happy. Of course, it is preference so ...personally I prefered them to Slimfast and regular protein bars, also the entrees don't have to be in the freezer so you can carry them anywhere and eat which is nice because if you are like me on the constant go there isn't always a fridge to store, but there are plenty of microwaves or hot/cold water.

As for the personal items, i felt completely safe at the OCC, my purse was on the bedside table the whole time and wasn't even moved/touched. As for the hotel, same thing. I left my bags and paperwork overnight while i was at the OCC recovery on the chairs of the table of the room and came back to them totally untouched. I mean everything was exactly how i recall leaving them.

><'