Healthnet HMO and lap band

Has anyone had experience with getting approval of Lap Band from HealthNet of California? I tried for over a year to get approval for Gastric Bypass and they just kept putting up obstacles. The "medically supervised diet program" for 6 months (for which they wouldn't pay! )was the last straw. I have since decided I am more comfortable with pursuing Lap Band and before I go through another year of fighting - I wanted to see if anyone with Healthnet HMO actually got approved.

I know the plans vary by employer, but I work for the Univ. of California - one of their largest customers.

My other option is self-pay through Dr. Martinez in Tijuana. My big concern is if I had complications, would I then have problems getting treatment from HealthNet back in California. (I should probably post that question on a different forum).

I have the classical health problems of obesity (diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea) and a BMI of 37 so I easily meet diagnostic criteria for morbid obesity. Generallly, I am probably a good candidate for either bypass or lapband. But the barriers to getting health care for this are unbelievable.

Thanks.

Tony in San diego

Has anyone had experience with getting approval of Lap Band from HealthNet of California? I tried for over a year to get approval for Gastric Bypass and they just kept putting up obstacles. The "medically supervised diet program" for 6 months (for which they wouldn't pay! )was the last straw. I have since decided I am more comfortable with pursuing Lap Band and before I go through another year of fighting - I wanted to see if anyone with Healthnet HMO actually got approved.

I know the plans vary by employer, but I work for the Univ. of California - one of their largest customers.

My other option is self-pay through Dr. Martinez in Tijuana. My big concern is if I had complications, would I then have problems getting treatment from HealthNet back in California. (I should probably post that question on a different forum).

I have the classical health problems of obesity (diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea) and a BMI of 37 so I easily meet diagnostic criteria for morbid obesity. Generallly, I am probably a good candidate for either bypass or lapband. But the barriers to getting health care for this are unbelievable.

Thanks.

Tony in San diego

I Tony

I have Health Net of Calfornia, they gave me such a run around. They told me I had to see a Dr. for six months and then if I still needed the surgery, I could get it. I was 100 pounds over weight, no high blood pressure, no diabetes or other complications from being over weight, yet. Two months into the 6 months of visits, I received a letter in the mail that said I did not qualify and they would not pay for surgery. Three weeks later I was in Mexico having the surgery. Dr Ortiz is the best, no regrets. Best decision I ever made. Had the best care, the staff is wonderful.

Good luck

Marsha