A confession and a question

Question first ...I have never been a breakfast person, and if I had to have breakfast I would just grab toast or a bowl of cereal. Tomorrow is the first day I am supposed to eat real food, (I cheated... ugh.. more on that later,) and I not sure how to get protein at breakfast time unless I eat an egg every day, which is bad for my cholesterol. What are other protein choices for breakfast food?

Now the confession... I was away from home too long today, and was starving, so I bought a little kid's burger and wanted to eat half of it. Well.. 25 chews and traffic are not compatible, even though I was trying. After a few bites I felt this huge lump push its way into my throat and it hurt. I immediately wanted to hurl, but was on the interstate. I was in so much pain that I used the bag from the little burger to cough up a doughball. I wanted to cry I felt so sick. I took a drink of water to try to unplug anything else that was in there, but it is about 4 hours later, and I am still a little queasy.

Needless to say, I am going to prepare better for next time, but I will not be eating in my car again anytime soon, (and no more burgers, no matter how small they are!)

I would rather get a migraine from hunger than go through that again.

Live and learn

Hi Paula-

I know that was a hard experience for you but that's exactly what makes the band so great, I mean how many of us used to plow through an Extra Value Meal (super-sized of course) in less than 5 min while in the car.. I know I did!!

Lessons like that suck, not to mention hurt but you can see how after that ONE episode you are already ready to change your behavior!!! That's the power of the band!! If I were you I would do liquids (i.e. soup) for tonight and let your esophagus heal!

As for early morning protein I too was never a breakfast person so I have been doing a shake for breakfast (like I did during the pre-op)... Now Dr. Miranda says No Shakes once you move to solid foods (since the band, even with a fill, won't restrict liquids and they go right through the band making many people hungry an hour or so after the shake at which point they eat real food which means they have the equivalent of 2 breakfasts) but for me who's NEVER hungry in the morning I drink it only so I can get my metabolism going and so I am not STARVING at lunch!

If you ARE hungry in the mornings they I would try egg whites or Egg Beaters both give you 9g of protein and are low in cholesterol, you can find both in the refrigerated section near the real eggs and yogurt, speaking of yogurt that's another good option for the morning hunger!

Question first ...I have never been a breakfast person, and if I had to have breakfast I would just grab toast or a bowl of cereal. Tomorrow is the first day I am supposed to eat real food, (I cheated... ugh.. more on that later,) and I not sure how to get protein at breakfast time unless I eat an egg every day, which is bad for my cholesterol. What are other protein choices for breakfast food?

Now the confession... I was away from home too long today, and was starving, so I bought a little kid's burger and wanted to eat half of it. Well.. 25 chews and traffic are not compatible, even though I was trying. After a few bites I felt this huge lump push its way into my throat and it hurt. I immediately wanted to hurl, but was on the interstate. I was in so much pain that I used the bag from the little burger to cough up a doughball. I wanted to cry I felt so sick. I took a drink of water to try to unplug anything else that was in there, but it is about 4 hours later, and I am still a little queasy.

Needless to say, I am going to prepare better for next time, but I will not be eating in my car again anytime soon, (and no more burgers, no matter how small they are!)

I would rather get a migraine from hunger than go through that again.

Live and learn

Wow, sorry to hear about your ordeal...but I learned my lesson from you. I haven't been banded yet and these messages are great learning tools for me.

What to do and not to do. I hope you feel better soon!! Cathy

That's what I was doing on just liquids my first week. <_<

It hurts like heck, doesn't it?

Bread is always a no-no for me for exactly that reason. Ground beef can also be tricky at times. A hamburger from McDonald's? I look at those commercials and think barf city. Over time you'll learn what foods to avoid but unfortunately, the best way to learn that is trial and error.

For breakfast I usually eat a bar called Fiber One. It has lots of fiber and protein in it and I find it quite tasty.

Thank you all for the suggestions and sympathy. I did learn a HUGE lesson from this.