Has anyone had a "flipped port" found during first fill

I am still changing my mind every other day on whether I should return to TJ for my first fill or not. My fear is going to someone 1.5hrs from my home and having them tell me my port is flipped or something is not right and then them sending me on my way. I feel like if I am at the OCC and something is found to be awry they will be able to correct it right then/there!

I read other forums and I keep coming across people saying that there port was found to be "flipped" and the time of their first fill and it only took a couple hours to get it fixed. Has anyone experienced this? How do you "flip it back" who does it?? LOL

Has anyone been at the OCC for a fill and something was found to be "not right" and you had to have surgery to fix it? Or one of the Dr's had to be called to fix it... etc?????

I'm sooo confused as to what I should do here... so please help me out. smile.gif

Thanks!!

Mindy

I am still changing my mind every other day on whether I should return to TJ for my first fill or not. My fear is going to someone 1.5hrs from my home and having them tell me my port is flipped or something is not right and then them sending me on my way. I feel like if I am at the OCC and something is found to be awry they will be able to correct it right then/there!

I read other forums and I keep coming across people saying that there port was found to be "flipped" and the time of their first fill and it only took a couple hours to get it fixed. Has anyone experienced this? How do you "flip it back" who does it?? LOL

Has anyone been at the OCC for a fill and something was found to be "not right" and you had to have surgery to fix it? Or one of the Dr's had to be called to fix it... etc?????

I'm sooo confused as to what I should do here... so please help me out. smile.gif

Thanks!!

Mindy

You ARE nervous aren't you Mindy? You know what, put your mind at ease and just make the decision to go to the OC for your fill. Yes, it will cost you some money, but I think in the long run you will be happier with it. Thats pretty much what I decided to do. I am not even sure if I will need a fill but I am already planning to come back out over memorial day weekend. I want to bring my mom (the one who said the mexicans don't wash their hands) so she can see for herself, and my neice too. So, we are making a little vacation out of it but I really will feel better having the OC for my first check up.

Oh and I do remember one thing about the port flipping thing. Here in the US the ports are usually placed on the right side of the body but Dr. Ortiz places his on the left because after further research on lap bands he determined that port flipping occurred less often placed his way. I believe he himself told me that. And if I am not mistaken, if the OC had to do a fix, wouldn't it be free? So you would save that way.

I have to admit, I know where you are coming from with the changing of your mind every day. I am right there with you deciding on whether to make final plans to fly ot not based on the fact of needing to purchase tickets prior to knowing whether I will really need a fill or not. Thats why I am kind of just deciding to make it a vacation, that way I won't be wasting a trip.

Of course, tomorrow is another day and another decision, LOL!!

Flipped ports do happen but the are not particularly common. They are also not an emergency situation so you don't have to rush anywhere in order to get it fixed. Getting your port fixed or even replaced is an outpatient procedure that OCC is capable of doing and will probably do for free or at a reduced charge if it wasn't because of something you did. They won't even put you to sleep, though you may want to turn your head depending on how squeamish you are. If I ever need my port repaired, I want to bring this with me because it will be impossible for me to freak out if this is in the room at the same time, though they may have to sedate me a bit to stop me laughing.

http://www.amazon.com/Palisades-Toys-Distr...6847&sr=8-5

Anywho, I do recommend going to OCC for at least your first fill as they can have a look and make sure everything is hunky-dory in there. I went back for my first fill, but have gone to local doctors for subsequent fills.

Flipped ports do happen but the are not particularly common. They are also not an emergency situation so you don't have to rush anywhere in order to get it fixed. Getting your port fixed or even replaced is an outpatient procedure that OCC is capable of doing and will probably do for free or at a reduced charge if it wasn't because of something you did. They won't even put you to sleep, though you may want to turn your head depending on how squeamish you are. If I ever need my port repaired, I want to bring this with me because it will be impossible for me to freak out if this is in the room at the same time, though they may have to sedate me a bit to stop me laughing.

Anywho, I do recommend going to OCC for at least your first fill as they can have a look and make sure everything is hunky-dory in there. I went back for my first fill, but have gone to local doctors for subsequent fills.

Clynn,

Ewwww!!! That's sick!!! I was one of those in the theater that watch Alien and screamed my head off!!! LOL!!!

Hanna

hahahah.. I loved that stuffed thing!

Ok.. I am 99% I am going to go back for my first fill. My good friend was saying she would go with me and would actually like to add an extra day on and get some sun.

Thanks guys for helping me. I'd still like to hear from anyone who's had serious "port' issues.

speaking of.... my hurts from the inside out... it feel like the stitches are healing and pulling ... but it's better today.

have I told ya'll lately that I love you. (platonic of course) ><' ><' ><' ><' ><' ><'

Hi Mindy, I'm from Portland too and going to Dr Ortiz on May 7 for LB. I have already made a fill appt. here in town with Dr. Fitzgerald as I figure that's cheaper than traveling. Let's stay in touch! Sufina

hahahah.. I loved that stuffed thing!

Ok.. I am 99% I am going to go back for my first fill. My good friend was saying she would go with me and would actually like to add an extra day on and get some sun.

Thanks guys for helping me. I'd still like to hear from anyone who's had serious "port' issues.

speaking of.... my hurts from the inside out... it feel like the stitches are healing and pulling ... but it's better today.

have I told ya'll lately that I love you. (platonic of course) ><' ><' ><' ><' ><' ><'

Mindy- You should come down on the 17th/18th of this month, there are 5 or 6 of us all getting fills the morning of the 18th but we are going to go out for a girls night out before! Hanna (WAgal) is the group coordinator for this fill trip, she can give you all the details!

I would love to come down this month and join ya'll... BUT.... I would be less than a month post-op and I don't think they would give me a fill!! I can't wait to hear how you guys do!!

xoxox

Lol, my bad for some reason I thought you were banded on 2/24... It was 2am when I was posting last night sorry!

Hi Mindy, I'm from Portland too and going to Dr Ortiz on May 7 for LB. I have already made a fill appt. here in town with Dr. Fitzgerald as I figure that's cheaper than traveling. Let's stay in touch! Sufina

HI Sufina!

Nice to meet a fellow portlander. Let me know if you have any questions. I want my first fill to be under flouro so that's why i'm going back to TJ. I will make appts with Dr. Fitzpatrick after my first fluro fill.

xoxo

Mindy

Clynn,

I see you have had an unfill. Why?

Maytee :blink:

I got a fill without floro. I was fine for a few days but then I just started getting tighter and tighter until I wasn't able to get solid food down. Not good. Went back and got the unfill. Before I'd even gotten up off the table I felt IMMENSELY better, though it was about three days before I felt 100% again. Just part of the gamble when getting a blind fill and why you need to be super aware of what's going on in there for a bit afterwards.

Now I've got very little restriction and just trying to hold steady until I can get re-filled. I'd have gone in already but my little doggy needs her teeth cleaned, and no one knows what that's going to cost until they get in there. Pet health insurance is looking mighty good right now.

I got a fill without floro. I was fine for a few days but then I just started getting tighter and tighter until I wasn't able to get solid food down. Not good. Went back and got the unfill. Before I'd even gotten up off the table I felt IMMENSELY better, though it was about three days before I felt 100% again. Just part of the gamble when getting a blind fill and why you need to be super aware of what's going on in there for a bit afterwards.

Now I've got very little restriction and just trying to hold steady until I can get re-filled. I'd have gone in already but my little doggy needs her teeth cleaned, and no one knows what that's going to cost until they get in there. Pet health insurance is looking mighty good right now.

Clynn

thanks for the update.. makes me feel even better about my decision to get my first fill back at the occ w/ floro. What kind of doggie do you have?

Mindy

Clynn

thanks for the update.. makes me feel even better about my decision to get my first fill back at the occ w/ floro. What kind of doggie do you have?

Mindy

I have a beagle mix and a black lab . . . and two kitties, and a bunny, and a fish. The beagle is the one who's getting her teeth cleaned.

Check out MY babies-

PC210175.jpg