A confession and worried

NO MUSHY FOOD ALLOWED!!!

That is the last thing on Dr. Miranda's post-op orders, right? Sigh...

The other 3 that were banded with me have started having a few bites of mashed potatoes, mashed up green peas, chunkier soup..etc.

I am admitting that I have tried it twice against my better judgement. The other 3 that were with me keep it down fine and enjoy a bite every now and then.

On the other hand, when I try it, I PB it right back up. Why can they tolerate it and I can't? Does anyone think my band has already slipped from my sickness during my 1st week post-op? I am really, really worried.

Please be gentle on me..I know I have done wrong, but it is so hard to not chew anything for so long.

Why do you think I have to PB it up and they hold it down? I am worried about my band. :unsure:

You're probably still swollen or some other aspect of your anatomy gives you more restriction than your friends. You'll have to be more careful about what you eat but on the bright side, the band will be working harder for you. Put stuff in the blender until it is the consistency of milk rather than trying to chew it or mash it. You'll have an easier time of things and it's allowed under the post-op diet.

NO MUSHY FOOD ALLOWED!!!

That is the last thing on Dr. Miranda's post-op orders, right? Sigh...

The other 3 that were banded with me have started having a few bites of mashed potatoes, mashed up green peas, chunkier soup..etc.

I am admitting that I have tried it twice against my better judgement. The other 3 that were with me keep it down fine and enjoy a bite every now and then.

On the other hand, when I try it, I PB it right back up. Why can they tolerate it and I can't? Does anyone think my band has already slipped from my sickness during my 1st week post-op? I am really, really worried.

Please be gentle on me..I know I have done wrong, but it is so hard to not chew anything for so long.

Why do you think I have to PB it up and they hold it down? I am worried about my band. :unsure:

Do you have dr ortiz's book? Chapter 15 is troubleshooting the band. there is a section for right after you are banded, for solid food phase and later... I just read this chapter this morning and also read about PB'ing. Every person is different, that is #1. while your other bandster friends may be able to swallow these things, your stomach may be more swollen (especially because of the vomiting you experienced early on) and you need to follow dr Miranda's plan completely in order to heal properly. Make sure you call her if it continues when you are allowed to eat solids. then something is definately not right.

did you get the 4cc band or the 10 cc?

As for pb'ing, i have had this experience when I ate something too fast. I was actually reading on the forum here and didn't pay attention, took a second bite and the pain in my chest started immediately. I don't believe it was the food, or how much I chewed (although this might be another factor as I was not paying attention) but definately because i tried to eat too fast. Old habits die hard.

Thanks so much for the advice. I called the OCC and they said if my band had slipped I wouldn't be able to keep down liquids, which I keep down fine. I have read otherwise on the internet about band slippage, but I will trust the OCC on this one. I feel a little better and needless to say, I won't be trying anymore mushy foods until next Friday.

Thanks again for the support!

Kimmie,

Sorry to hear about your issues, I totally agree with Clynn your vomiting issues from week 1 has left your stomach more swollen than your friends... Everyone experiences the initial swelling after your band is installed which gives you those first few weeks of tightness/restriction. As your body heals the swelling goes down so since the others didn't have any issues their swelling has reduced so they can cheat with no problems, (except maybe the guilt, lol). If you really feel like you have to chew and spit or lick some chips then do it, but you're going to have a lot more success both with the health of your band and your future weight loss endeavors if you stick to Dr. M's diet!! YOU CAN DO IT!!