Anybody Out there banded longer that 2-3 months

Since I started reading the forum I have heard from and appreciated alot of the advise and imput from the people who where recently banded and those who are getting banded soon but not much from those with long term successes or struggles. As someone who is going to have this proceedure soon, I want to know what the long term experiences have been.

Thanks!

Since I started reading the forum I have heard from and appreciated alot of the advise and imput from the people who where recently banded and those who are getting banded soon but not much from those with long term successes or struggles. As someone who is going to have this proceedure soon, I want to know what the long term experiences have been.

Thanks!

I've been banded for 14 months,, so far so good,, even my wife decided to get banded after I had been banded 7 months,, She saw my results and jumped on the "BAND" wagon. LOL. I'm down 90lbs since I started this adventure. Wifes down 35 to 40lbs. LUV MY BAND!

Since I started reading the forum I have heard from and appreciated alot of the advise and imput from the people who where recently banded and those who are getting banded soon but not much from those with long term successes or struggles.

Really? I think you're hearing from them more than you realize.

• 2 weeks later...

I was banded in October of 2006, my highest weight were I got on a scale and looked was 275, my surgery weight 265. I am now 150 and doing great! I went from a size 22 to a size 6 pants, 8 top. I look 20 years younger and I'm nearly at my goal. I had hard times, however when I lost the most weight it was when I was following the rules, so stick to it! To date I've had an extended tummy tuck and just had my breast lift last week by Dr. Nyte in Maple Valley WA. I love my new body and spirit!

Take care, stick with it and make sure you are having fun!

Lisa

Thanks!

Well, I was banded the day after Labor Day last fall ('07), and my struggle continues. I lost 9 lbs on the 3-week after-surgery dietary restriction, but very, very little since. I am puzzled and so is my Dr. I was walking 3 mi. every other day, from Jul. to Jan., but there was no net weight loss whatever. I switched to an hr. of intensive cardio on the machines at the YMCA 3 nights per week beginning in Feb. That has ground off another 7 lbs. to date. I am at a level 3 constriction of a possible 4, and I promise I really am being nutritionally compliant.

Clearly, for me at least, I will have to "grind" this weight off. My band is not going to simply "melt" it off. I lost 25 lbs a year ago on a prescribed 90-day course of phentermine (pre-surgery) as my effort at a "headstart". At least I have not regained any of that.

I still have about 50 lbs to go, and it is a very, very slow process indeed, at least for me. I wish others more rapid success.

If you are a patient of Dr. Ortiz I would give the clinic a call - I know he would not be happy with that progress and would do everything to assist. If not, good luck with your doctor - (if you don't have it yet - get Dr. Ortiz's book - its very helpful).

One bit of advice - whenever I was moving slow I would increase my protein intake - I'd have my Isopure Low Carb, high protein shake in the morning. It has 50 grams of 100% Ion Exchange Whey Protein Isolate and when you add in your nonfat high protein milk that brings you up to 60 grams for only 310 calaries. It was my biggest hit of calories for the day and I'd only have it in the morning when my band was tight. (I was lucky if I could drink it all) And then the rest of the day only solids in two other meals, my band is tight so about 1/4 to 1/2 cup total and I'd always start with my protein (chicken/fish/turkey) chew the living daylights out of it and then veggies - hardly had room for fruit and rarely made it to the carbs - but tried.

The high protein really kicked my body into burning the fat - I had heard that from a lady from this board that had lost most of her weight - she was right on.

Hi Nereston,

You say you lost 9 lbs post op but very little since - 10 or so lbs in almost 7 months is really nothing. U have the right to be discouraged. I think it is great how hard you exercise and continue to keep the faith. Have you been eating more protein than carbs or the other way around? You could have a food allergy that is keeping the weight on - far fetched - but maybe

Has your doctor checked to see if your band is ok; and have you had a fill yet? Your weight loss is so slow and I feel for you and I'm just wondering if all is being done for you that can be - that is why the questions.

Let us know.

My best,

Helen ><':wacko:

I was banded almost a year ago and while the results were ok, I don't regret it. I have only lost 42 pounds and have continued working out 6 days a week, but each person has different results. I wish you well and can say that the care I received at Dr. Ortiz's medical facility way outway the treatment you get here in the states. Ths staff was absolutely wonderful.

I was banded in October of 2006, my highest weight were I got on a scale and looked was 275, my surgery weight 265. I am now 150 and doing great! I went from a size 22 to a size 6 pants, 8 top. I look 20 years younger and I'm nearly at my goal. I had hard times, however when I lost the most weight it was when I was following the rules, so stick to it! To date I've had an extended tummy tuck and just had my breast lift last week by Dr. Nyte in Maple Valley WA. I love my new body and spirit!

Take care, stick with it and make sure you are having fun!

Lisa

WOW WOW, you look amazing...what an inspiration!! My starting weight is the same 275 right now, pre-op diet starts at the end of May for sx date of June 10th. It's these kinds of success stories that solidifies my decision to do this!!

Way to go!! Cathy

Hi Lisa,

Well my daughter is Cassie, featured on Oprah and on the website. She has been banded since March 17 2004 that is 4 years !! She is doing great and you !

The newest fills and Bandsters saw her on April 18 at the OCC Clinic. She is a true inspiration.

Take Care,

Jenn

Thanks all of you for your inspirational and realistic help. I am really looking forward to my band surgery on May 8. I start My pre-op diet on Monday and then just 10 days to surgery. I realize everyone experiences something different but My greatest difficulty up until now hasn't been losing the weight but keeping it off. I am encouraged that most are able to keep their weight of whatever their loss is, even when they plateau so that is my great hope.

Blessings!

Thanks!

[/quote

Wow, the site has changed since I've been on. I have been banded for about a year and a half with my son Kyle. He still weighs the same as surgery. I am up and down constantly due to my restriction all over the place. some days, i can eat a normal meal at a sitting and other days, nothing. hard to adjust to meals. i'm going to update in Newly Banded Mom and Son Nov 2006 if i can find it. teri

Looks like they're up - here's the link to some of my pictures. (I will be removing the bathing suit one soon, its a a bad picture - however a good one to understand the changes that have happened to my body). Also some of my thinner pictures were taken at the Holidays - or in Feb and I've since lost more weight.

Thanks, Lisa

http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?auto...um&album=42

Looks like they're up - here's the link to some of my pictures. (I will be removing the bathing suit one soon, its a a bad picture - however a good one to understand the changes that have happened to my body). Also some of my thinner pictures were taken at the Holidays - or in Feb and I've since lost more weight.

Thanks, Lisa

Lisa your pics are great!! Looks like you're hubby has lost some weight also!!! Keep it up!

I was banded on 2/15/08.

I've had one fill, and one unfill. I think I'm going to get another fill in a few weeks. While I'm still loosing weight, I think I need just a little bit more of a fill to get that sweet spot. I have not really lost anything in the last 10 days - I'm anxious to keep up the 3lbs per week weight loss.

I'm very happy with my weight loss. It's funny - I've lost more weight in the last few months with the band than I have ever before - yet I still wish I would loss it a bit faster - haha, you always want more, right?

Anyway - below are my current stats.

Good Luck to us all!

Peace,

Maggie

Thanks, Lisa

Lisa,

These are great but I must have missed the swim suit one. You are doing awesome and I am inspired.

Terri,

I just read what you wrote on April 28 and if I read it correctly you lost 26 lbs in over a year and your son lost nothing???? Have either of you had a fill yet and have you spoke to Dr. Ortiz about this?

I am really curious to hear your story. I wish you and your son lots of better times ahead.

Helen :blink:

Wow Lisa, you look Great!!! I hope to post pictures like that on here someday soon.

Terri,

I just read what you wrote on April 28 and if I read it correctly you lost 26 lbs in over a year and your son lost nothing???? Have either of you had a fill yet and have you spoke to Dr. Ortiz about this?

I am really curious to hear your story. I wish you and your son lots of better times ahead.

Helen :blink:

Helen-

Here's a link to Teri's post it's quite a few pages starting in Nov of 2006 and the last post she updated on the 28th of April 2008 - It goes into details about her struggles and her son's refusal to eat properly and get regular fills, it should give you more details on her story:

http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?showtopic=987

Well, I was banded the day after Labor Day last fall ('07), and my struggle continues. I lost 9 lbs on the 3-week after-surgery dietary restriction, but very, very little since. I am puzzled and so is my Dr. I was walking 3 mi. every other day, from Jul. to Jan., but there was no net weight loss whatever. I switched to an hr. of intensive cardio on the machines at the YMCA 3 nights per week beginning in Feb. That has ground off another 7 lbs. to date. I am at a level 3 constriction of a possible 4, and I promise I really am being nutritionally compliant.

Clearly, for me at least, I will have to "grind" this weight off. My band is not going to simply "melt" it off. I lost 25 lbs a year ago on a prescribed 90-day course of phentermine (pre-surgery) as my effort at a "headstart". At least I have not regained any of that.

I still have about 50 lbs to go, and it is a very, very slow process indeed, at least for me. I wish others more rapid success.

How many fills have you had done and who did your surgery??

• 4 weeks later...
I've been banded for 14 months,, so far so good,, even my wife decided to get banded after I had been banded 7 months,, She saw my results and jumped on the "BAND" wagon. LOL. I'm down 90lbs since I started this adventure. Wifes down 35 to 40lbs. LUV MY BAND!

Seriousily contimplating this surgery, nervous as hell. Scared recovery will take to long, can I handle the immediate lifestyle change. Seems from reading testimonials people are going back to work in a few short weeks ( how did you find it) I work in the construction industry and live in camps three weeks out of the month. Just not sure if this is for me, maybe I'm making more out of this than needed. Very scary and confusing.

Hey congrats on step one - thinking about doing the surgery!

It is scary, we are adding something to our body and for me - it changed who I was. (For the better). But since I've already been through it and I'm almost done with my weight loss its pretty darn cool.

I had my surgery Friday and was back to work by Tuesday. But I have a sit behind the desk job where not too much action occurs except for typing on a keyboard and making calls. I was also close to home, family and doctors if needed. (It wasn't needed, I felt really good really fast, but each person is different and some take longer to recover)

You may need to organize your time off better, but the people that could help you figure it out is the team here. Lori is really good; you can reach her on this board. I know that people who do heavy lifting get the band and from what I see they go back to work quicker than I would expect.

Its a pretty simple surgery for Dr. Ortiz, he's one of the top in this field, so you would be in really good hands.

Good luck!

Lisa

Thanks, Lisa

LisaL.. I love your spirit and I hope you know your comments are very helpul to me and I am sure to others on this forum. Your pix are great and I can't wait to get banded. It is people like you that keep me motivated!! =D>