Port pain... getting worried!!??

Hello All,

I've had port discomfort since my banding on 3-25 [which I know is normal.] Last night I was in the bathroom and turned slightly and a pain shot through my port area and made me gasp. I've not been over-doing-it, I'm not even working right now. I've been doing normal household chores but nothing real strenuous. I noticed that I have 2 egg sized lumps, one right on top of my port and one down to the lower left side of my port [these are under the skin and not protruding.] Now when I bend or turn a certain way, that pain "grabs" me. Even when I sit too long or if I'm slouching, which I do alot, it's uncomfortable. My incisions have healed nicely and the bruising is almost gone. Not that I'm hoping anyone else is in pain, but is anyone going through something similar? I'm kind of in a financial bind right now and although I want to go back to Dr. Ortiz for my first fill, I'm not sure when that"ll be. I thought I'd run this by all of you before calling the OCC. Thanks for any and all help, it's much appreciated!! :-h Darlene

Hello All,

I've had port discomfort since my banding on 3-25 [which I know is normal.] Last night I was in the bathroom and turned slightly and a pain shot through my port area and made me gasp. I've not been over-doing-it, I'm not even working right now. I've been doing normal household chores but nothing real strenuous. I noticed that I have 2 egg sized lumps, one right on top of my port and one down to the lower left side of my port [these are under the skin and not protruding.] Now when I bend or turn a certain way, that pain "grabs" me. Even when I sit too long or if I'm slouching, which I do alot, it's uncomfortable. My incisions have healed nicely and the bruising is almost gone. Not that I'm hoping anyone else is in pain, but is anyone going through something similar? I'm kind of in a financial bind right now and although I want to go back to Dr. Ortiz for my first fill, I'm not sure when that"ll be. I thought I'd run this by all of you before calling the OCC. Thanks for any and all help, it's much appreciated!! :-h Darlene

If you think something is wrong...call your doctor, better to be safe than sorry.

Cathy

I emailed Dr. O and he emailed me back and said that this happens sometimes during the healing process. He said to watch for swelling or signs of infection [which I don't have] and he'd like me to come down and be seen for my first fill. I'll have to get the money together some how. Thanks again girls!!! Darlene

I too have got that pain. I was banded on 3/24/08, but it didnt really start until I started my period. It does help if I suck in my stomach when I go to sit down. It feels like the stitch that is holding the tube that is sewn to your muscle is pulling if you turn a certain way. And I am hoping that it goes away when my period goes.

I have also had this pain, off and on. It is worse after I finish my 3 days at work. I think sitting at a desk doesn't help it much. I have noticed it is getting better and less often now. I was banded 3/10, so just a bit before you. there is hope. sometimes i have pain in the morning so I think it may be the way I was sleeping. my insides pressing on it or something.

hth

Do you ladies notice if you hold your hand on the area and apply pressure, does it help? It seems to make mine feel a little better, like I'm holding it in. The lumps aren't protruding, but when I bend over it hurts more. Thanks for the replies, let's keep each other informed on how this turns out. Mine feels a little better now, but still grabs at times.

Do you ladies notice if you hold your hand on the area and apply pressure, does it help? It seems to make mine feel a little better, like I'm holding it in. The lumps aren't protruding, but when I bend over it hurts more. Thanks for the replies, let's keep each other informed on how this turns out. Mine feels a little better now, but still grabs at times.

I was banded on 3/26 and I have a real tenderness at the port site as well. You aren't alone....I do notice that if I gently hold that area, it feels a bit better. I know I pushed the limits a few times with trying to wash the dog in the tub and using my abs too much. So now I have a stinky dog! Stinky dog is MUCH better than that pain!!!

I was banded on 3/26 and I have a real tenderness at the port site as well. You aren't alone....I do notice that if I gently hold that area, it feels a bit better. I know I pushed the limits a few times with trying to wash the dog in the tub and using my abs too much. So now I have a stinky dog! Stinky dog is MUCH better than that pain!!!

Could you possibly wrap an ace bandage around your abdomen? That would keep a little pressure on it and maybe help with the pain....

I was banded 3/24 and have been experiencing the "gut wrenching" pain mostly at night when I go to bed. I have to sleep laying on a pillow .. the pressure makes it a little more bearable. I thought it felt like a stitch was pulling/healing or something along those lines. I also found that wearing some sort of compression undergarmet helps ease it a little bit. I am also seen walking around laying hands on my port site... now people who know me say.. "your port/stomach bothering you" to which I reply YES! the last few nights have been really bad and I've had to take pain pills to be able to cut the pain so I can sleep. This was one of the reasons I decided to go back to the clinic for my first fill 5/12.

I was banded 3/24 and have been experiencing the "gut wrenching" pain mostly at night when I go to bed. I have to sleep laying on a pillow .. the pressure makes it a little more bearable. I thought it felt like a stitch was pulling/healing or something along those lines. I also found that wearing some sort of compression undergarmet helps ease it a little bit. I am also seen walking around laying hands on my port site... now people who know me say.. "your port/stomach bothering you" to which I reply YES! the last few nights have been really bad and I've had to take pain pills to be able to cut the pain so I can sleep. This was one of the reasons I decided to go back to the clinic for my first fill 5/12.

Wow Mindy! Mine isn't that bad!! I sure hope nothing major is wrong. Mine bothered me for a few days, and is still sore but has gotten a little better. Mine usually feels better when I'm lying down. I put my hand over my port area if I have to bend. Clynn mentioned that mine could have something to do with a stitch. I'm hoping to go back to Dr. O in June for my first fill also. Best wishes Mindy, and please keep us updated about this!! :unsure: Darlene

This must happen to alot of bandsters!! :-? I really haven't pushed myself I must have turned my belly just right that day to flair up my port area. I hold my port area now without even thinking about it.... kind of supporting it.

LOL... yeah, I'd havee to agree about the stinky dog! :lol:

Could you possibly wrap an ace bandage around your abdomen? That would keep a little pressure on it and maybe help with the pain....

That would probably help... would it hurt anything though? I saw BEBE's thread about binding and wondered if the constriction would hurt anything?? Mine seems to be getting better, but poor Mindy sounds like she's in agony!!

Just had a thought... is mindy [or anyone having this port pain] having any trouble holding down fluids or food? I start eating tomorrow but so far haven't had any issues. [i cheated and had pain... my fault and I'm behaving] I never PB'd though. Thanks Michelle!! :-h

Hmm, I haven't had port pain at all. In fact, I can't even feel it. Not exactly sure where it is. If you are in that much pain that you need to take pain medicine, you need to call the OC I think.

Hope it's ok and you feel better soon!

Hey Mona!

Your port is the biggest incision you have out of the 5. [it's just below my left breast] I had kind of a tugging pain in it at first but then I got that real sharp pain and soreness. I wrote Dr. O and mine seems to be getting better. That's awesome that your's doesn't hurt at all!! :)

I have thought about it but it seems to be getting better. I am almost at my 3 week post op point and I am being smarter about what actions I take.

That would probably help... would it hurt anything though? I saw BEBE's thread about binding and wondered if the constriction would hurt anything?? Mine seems to be getting better, but poor Mindy sounds like she's in agony!!

Just had a thought... is mindy [or anyone having this port pain] having any trouble holding down fluids or food? I start eating tomorrow but so far haven't had any issues. [i cheated and had pain... my fault and I'm behaving] I never PB'd though. Thanks Michelle!! :-h

I think it would be a light support for it, nothing too extreme like the binding.. So glad you are feeling better let us know how your first day on real food goes!!

thanks for the concern my fellow bandsters.... hugs to you alll ><' ><' ><' ><' ><'

One of the reasons I decided to go back to the OCC for my first fill was because of this pain. I have ZERO problems with ANY liquids or food... <_< I really feel it towards the end of the day and once I climb into and start turning over to get in the "comfy zone" I really feel this SHARP pain... I like to think I'm pretty in tune with my body and my gut feeling is that a stitch is tight/pulling or something along those lines. The weird thing is that I was walking outside and hitting the treadmill at the gym but I notice when I do that now I feel the pain. I don't know if it's because my job requires me to stand, twist and bend all day or what?? I also have a hard time slowing down so all and all I think my body is just telling me that's it's still trying to heal and to "slow my roll" ha!! In my mind I am giving it another few days then contacting Dr. Ortiz to find out what might be going on. My 5 "cuts" are healing soo nicely! 2 of them you can hardly see anymore.. the big one looks fantastic and the other 2 are just great. Nothing is infected or extra tender to the touch... I feel great.. oh.. I will probably start another post about a "pb'ing" episode I had this weekend.. it's disgusting, hysterically funny and a learning experience all rolled into one. It also might be TMI so not sure if I ya'll will want to hear it or not??

If I haven't told you guys lately... I really appreciate everyone on this forum!

xoxoxo

thanks for the concern my fellow bandsters.... hugs to you alll ><' ><' ><' ><' ><'

One of the reasons I decided to go back to the OCC for my first fill was because of this pain. I have ZERO problems with ANY liquids or food... <_< I really feel it towards the end of the day and once I climb into and start turning over to get in the "comfy zone" I really feel this SHARP pain... I like to think I'm pretty in tune with my body and my gut feeling is that a stitch is tight/pulling or something along those lines. The weird thing is that I was walking outside and hitting the treadmill at the gym but I notice when I do that now I feel the pain. I don't know if it's because my job requires me to stand, twist and bend all day or what?? I also have a hard time slowing down so all and all I think my body is just telling me that's it's still trying to heal and to "slow my roll" ha!! In my mind I am giving it another few days then contacting Dr. Ortiz to find out what might be going on. My 5 "cuts" are healing soo nicely! 2 of them you can hardly see anymore.. the big one looks fantastic and the other 2 are just great. Nothing is infected or extra tender to the touch... I feel great.. oh.. I will probably start another post about a "pb'ing" episode I had this weekend.. it's disgusting, hysterically funny and a learning experience all rolled into one. It also might be TMI so not sure if I ya'll will want to hear it or not??

If I haven't told you guys lately... I really appreciate everyone on this forum!

xoxoxo

We would love to hear your PB story, share, share, share! (I'm egging you on, lol)