Question

=^..^=Meow

Carbonated drinks like sodas, beer, sparkling wines are discouraged because some research has shown consumption of these beverages can cause band slippage. In addition, depending on how tight your restriction is, you may not be able to burp causing some discomfort. I personally, drank my last soda the night before surgery 1 1/2 months ago. I didn't crave a soda until just recently and I just told myself it is something I can't have ... just like I know I can't have sugar because I'm a diabetic. I was drinking at least 2-3 diet soda's a day before the pre-op diet. I don't miss them like I thought I would.

Carbohydrated drinks like sodas, beer, sparkling wines are discouraged because some research has shown consumption of these beverages can cause band slippage. In addition, depending on how tight your restriction is, you may not be able to burp causing some discomfort. I personally, drank my last soda the night before surgery 1 1/2 months ago. I didn't crave a soda until just recently and I just told myself it is something I can't have ... just like I know I can't have sugar because I'm a diabetic. I was drinking at least 2-3 diet soda's a day before the pre-op diet. I don't miss them like I thought I would.

I was one of those people who drank at least 5 regular sodas a day and champange was my fav alcholic beverage. I had my last coke the night before surgery and I have not really wanted one knowing the fack that it could make my band uncomfortable. The book that I ordered from Dr Ortiz website does not discourage the use of carbonated drinks but Dr Ortiz office does. If this is a life choice you want you will need to give up some stuff but your health is worth it. Good luck with your choices.

Carbonated drinks like sodas, beer, sparkling wines are discouraged because some research has shown consumption of these beverages can cause band slippage. In addition, depending on how tight your restriction is, you may not be able to burp causing some discomfort. I personally, drank my last soda the night before surgery 1 1/2 months ago. I didn't crave a soda until just recently and I just told myself it is something I can't have ... just like I know I can't have sugar because I'm a diabetic. I was drinking at least 2-3 diet soda's a day before the pre-op diet. I don't miss them like I thought I would.

Is it true that you don't crave food like you did before the surgery?

I can only speak for myself ... in the first few weeks after surgery I was not hungry. As I graduated to regular food and am waiting for my first fill I am finding I can eat as before before the lap band placement.

Guest marys

Yes, I understand your reluctance to give up carbonated beverages - i was addicted to diet soda and loved a glass of champagne now and then. I didn't think i could do it either but it really hasn't been that bad and i've only craved a diet soda a few times. You can make it go flat (get all the bubles out) but it isn't the same so yes you do need to prepare yourself for not having them. I know several bandsters that DO drink sodas and one guy has had a few beers (no more then one at a time) BUT i wouldn't do this and i want to do everythign in my power to keep this band and Dr. Ortiz and many others think it causes slippage. If you really have to have carbonation, don't have the surgery or wait until it is not that important to you. The costs and life changes are too great to take lightly. However, my guess is you COULD DO it - why not try for a few days you may find there are other beverages that you could grow to love. I drink a lot of crystal light in all flavors and tomaote juice and other juices (watered down significantly cuz of the calories).

• 2 weeks later...

OMG.... Is this true???? No carbonated drinks ever???? Why????:ph34r: This could be a deal breaker!!!!!

Yes, no pop EVER!!! the carbonation in the pop stretches the belly, so say good bye to pop! it's not so bad through, I'm getting by without soda

My surgery isn't till August, but I had my last carbonated soda yesterday. I figure I had better get it out of my system now, one less craveing to deal with. Besides it will show my husband how strong my resolve is to have this done :) . The killer is giving up Mojotos (spelling may be off), my favorite drink (it is made with carbonated water) :( . I guess I will be a wine girl from here on out, when I want a drink.

I have all ready started looking at all the crystal light and such, that seems to the recomendation from the people who have been through this before. Lots and Lots of water products. That seems easy enough, especially if I start now. I am trying to be very upbeat about this and see only the positive life style change I am making. Water is so much better for me than soda :lol: . Good Luck. Lanie

I have all ready started looking at all the crystal light and such, that seems to the recomendation from the people who have been through this before. Lots and Lots of water products.

Crystal Lite Tips:

Buy a lot of it in September when the price drops.

Mix four lemonade with one raspberry, yum.

Get little tiny baggies and put 1/2 TSP of the mixture in each one for on-the-go drinking. 1/2 TSP flavors a 20-ounce bottle of water.

Watch out for the raspberry or you'll turn your house, car, clothes, children & pets pink.

Crystal Lite Tips:

Buy a lot of it in September when the price drops.

Mix four lemonade with one raspberry, yum.

Get little tiny baggies and put 1/2 TSP of the mixture in each one for on-the-go drinking. 1/2 TSP flavors a 20-ounce bottle of water.

Watch out for the raspberry or you'll turn your house, car, clothes, children & pets pink.

I also like to brew a batch of decaf tea for iced tea. I put 1/2 iced tea and 1/2 batch of crystal lite lemonade in a glass. It makes what they call an "Arnie Palmer" its yummy!