Fills seem very expensive

Wow, I have been reading all the posts about fills/unfills. I read a post form one woman saying she was paying $500 some for a fill! :blink: Holy COW! I am just wondering if this is average for a fill? If so it seems to me that not only do you spend the $8000 for the surgery but then possibly a few thousand $$$ on fills/unfills before you have your band adjusted properly. I am now having doubts because I am barely able to scrounge up the $8000 for surgery and probably $600 for flights, but then I have to worry about a thousand or more $$$ for fills. Then if I don't get the fills then my band might be worthless anyhow (if I am not restricted). I don't know what to do.

Fill Center USA charges an initial fee of $349 plus $100 something for the flouro and fill. The fee after that is $85 per visit or they offer a $1300 package for one year. I am paying $199 for the fill and transportation at OCC. I am paying for my airfare with points, and also flying in and out the same day. If you need to stay overnight, OCC charge is $299 for everything. Hope this helps, good luck!!!

Wow, I have been reading all the posts about fills/unfills. I read a post form one woman saying she was paying $500 some for a fill! :blink: Holy COW! I am just wondering if this is average for a fill? If so it seems to me that not only do you spend the $8000 for the surgery but then possibly a few thousand $$$ on fills/unfills before you have your band adjusted properly. I am now having doubts because I am barely able to scrounge up the $8000 for surgery and probably $600 for flights, but then I have to worry about a thousand or more $$$ for fills. Then if I don't get the fills then my band might be worthless anyhow (if I am not restricted). I don't know what to do.

It depends on the person doing the fill, and whether or not they use fluoroscopy, which usually costs more. Fills can be anywhere from $125 up to who knows what. I would do some research to see what the costs would be in your area before getting too far into your plans.

You might try lapbandtalk.com, another forum, that has threads for each state. You may be able to get in touch with other bandsters from your area who can help point you in the right direction.

Fill prices are going to be just as varied as the number of fills you may need. There is a small percentage of bandsters that never need a fill others may need 3-5 in the first year. Like anything else you should shop around to find a local fill center/doctor taking into account not only the best price but also choosing a doctor that you like and are comfortable with!

Once you find a doctor and know the price of the fills I would make sure you have enough to cover at least 2 fills set aside before getting banded. Without a good fill your band can't do its job and many people will regain some of their weight because they can eat as they did before when not properly filled!

I know it seems expensive but if you take into account how much money you will be saving on food and apply that to your fill fund you should be fine. I was eating fast food 6 times a week and going out to dinner 2-3 nights a week, just that food bill alone was about $100-$125 a week... You multiply that by 4 weeks in a month and that's $400 a month I could apply towards getting a fill!!

I know exactly how you feel. When I found out how much I was going to be paying for my first fill I just about died.....not really but you know. I live in GA, so my plane ticket would be $250....transportation to OCC approximately $100....$100 for fluoro.....and then I would have to spend the night because there would not be a flight home in the same day plus who wants to fly 12 hours in one day. So I am looking at approximately $550 (at least) to return to the OCC. So.....I decided to use Fill Centers USA. As utahmom previously stated Fill Centers charges $349 initial fee and where I am going the NP charges $200 for fluoro (only for the first time). So I am still looking at $550. All subsequent visits will be a little cheaper as the Fill Centers appt. will decrease to $165 (its $85 if you do not get a fill and are just there for an office visit) and the fluoro charge decreases to $120 - making the total visit $285. Am I rich.....absolutely not, I am a nurse who only works 2 days a week because of nurse practitioner school but I am dedicated to this weight loss journey. So I won't buy those shoes I don't need.....nor will we go to the movies every weekend. I must save my money to pay for my fills. But keep in mind that some people only need 1 or 2 fills and some need more. I haven't even had my first fill yet so I don't know if I will be one of those fortunate ones to have 1 or 2 or one to have more.

But just like Michelle posted you will be amazingly suprised at how much you are going to save on food. I cannot believe how much I used to eat that my body did not need. I can already see where I am saving on groceries. I think snowbird posted a good suggestion about the other forum that will give you an idea about what is in your area and what your options are. Keep us posted on what you find and what you decide to do. But really, we understand. Fills can be pricey and no one wants to pay 2-3Grand after paying 8 for the surgery.