Very Nervous!!

Hello everyone,

I am so happy that they have this forum in here. I have been overweight for most of my life and was

looking into doing the gastric bypass surgery. I was recently at my doctors office where his wife mentioned

about a friend going to mexico and had Lap Band Surgery done. That was the first I heard of it so I have

been doing alot of research on the Lap Band Procedure. After weeks of research I came across Doctor Ortiz's website. I have read all of the testimonials and everything everyone who has went through the procedure and have been very happy with all the responses. Sooooooooooo I decided to go ahead with doing the procedure and now I am scheduled to be banded June 16th. Okay, now comes the hard part for me. I am 5' 4" tall and weigh 314 pounds. I have also been a smoker since I was 19 years old and I am 46 years old now. So they told me I need to quit smoking at least 10 days prior to my surgery. I smoke at least 2 packs a day. Also, they want me to lose 5% of my body weight before surgery, so I need to get down to at least 300 pounds in the next 13 days. I have a very good support system, in my husband, who is very wonderful. But if anyone have any suggestions or words of encourgement it would be greatly appreciated. I have always been terrified of surgeries and I shutter when I even think of them putting an IV in me. As you can tell my biggest fear is needles...LOL. I started to quit smoking today and been on a weight watchers diet for the past two days. I know this decision will change my whole life and I am dedicated to make this happen. My husband is by my side and supporting me through every step. He will be with me in Mexico. Now the question I have is, dieting is one thing but quitting smoking too....how will my husband put up with me...LOL. I am sure he will have no problem cause he is a wonderful man. Now I am looking for some wonderful friends for support. Has anyone out there had to quit smoking before the surgery? I read all the good stories on how they put you at ease but right now I am very nervous and I am having anxieties about it everyday. Any help or support would be greatly appreciated. Look forward to hearing from all my banded friends and to be banded friends! :) Take care all and talk to you soon!!

Kepola aka Deb

Hey Deb,

Yes quitting smoking is difficult however you can do it. I quit smoking about 1 1/2 years ago. I found that the easiest way for me to quit was to go on welbutrin (Zyban). This drug is a antidepressant and one of the side effects was smoking sessation. What I found was that it did not make me quit but it did take the edge off. I was only on it for 4 months until I knew that the smoking was definately over. I hope that helps and believe me both the decisions you are making will change you life forever.

kelli

I too was a smoker. I got banded on May 16th, and all the "quit" decisions are soooo worth it. The band just makes it easier. Stick with it and good luck on your surgery. I can't express enough how wonderful everyone treated me, and how good I feel now. I was uncomfortable for the 1st 10 days, okay, learned that Milk of Magnesia is a blessing. Lot of my problems were constipation, I thought gas, well yes it was, but got control of it with MoMag...

I hated giving up my carbonated water, but really don't miss it, you find great substitutes and will be amazed how creative you are with such little amounts of food! I'm glad your husband is a great support, mine is too, and makes it sooo much nicer and easier to do all of this.

I'm down 18 lbs. and actually like all the exercising too. Yes, it took time and alot of push, but if you want it bad enough, you'll do it.

Good luck!

Lisa :D