Intro, New Option

Evan

Hi, I'm Evan. I am 17, turning 18 in July. I am very overweight. I am right around 300 lbs and am between 5 11 and 6 foot. My bmi is just over 40. My mom's friend was banded maybe a year ago, and we were talking about it yesterday. I have failed diets multiple times, and while my eating is psychological, I am deathly afraid to throw up, so I know that will change my psychological eating habits and make me extra careful. that is how well I know myself.

I am at wits end with myself, and am physically tired of eating so much. it is like i have an insatiable appetite. i cannot stand it anymore. i want to warm my parents to the idea, any help? thanks.

Do you know how your parents feel about it now? Have they had ongoing weight struggles. In other words, will they be sympathetic to what you're going through and where you're coming from? Is your relationship with them as such that you can receive their support?

Do as much research as you can and present it to them. If you can show them that you're not taking this lightly they'll take you more seriously. See if you can get them to talk to someone who has been banded. Do you have a doctor who you have a history with? If so, try talking to them and seeing what they think. If you can get them on your side, it gives your arguments credibility. If they don't think you should be banded, a good doctor will point you in another direction such as a nutritionist rather than just leaving you hanging. Banding is really for those who have exhausted all their other options, so you should explore any (healthy!) suggestions first. By law, doctors are not supposed to share your confidential medical information with your parents if you don't want them to, so you can count on whatever they tell you to be private if that's what you prefer. You can always bring your parents to this forum so they can see what the situation is and ask questions.

There are many factors which will dictate how your parents react to this. Though they may initially say no, keep the dialog with them open. Hopefully they'll be supportive in whatever weight loss method you choose.

Do you know how your parents feel about it now? Have they had ongoing weight struggles. In other words, will they be sympathetic to what you're going through and where you're coming from? Is your relationship with them as such that you can receive their support?

Do as much research as you can and present it to them. If you can show them that you're not taking this lightly they'll take you more seriously. See if you can get them to talk to someone who has been banded. Do you have a doctor who you have a history with? If so, try talking to them and seeing what they think. If you can get them on your side, it gives your arguments credibility. If they don't think you should be banded, a good doctor will point you in another direction such as a nutritionist rather than just leaving you hanging. Banding is really for those who have exhausted all their other options, so you should explore any (healthy!) suggestions first. By law, doctors are not supposed to share your confidential medical information with your parents if you don't want them to, so you can count on whatever they tell you to be private if that's what you prefer. You can always bring your parents to this forum so they can see what the situation is and ask questions.

There are many factors which will dictate how your parents react to this. Though they may initially say no, keep the dialog with them open. Hopefully they'll be supportive in whatever weight loss method you choose.

I have started my research. The more my mom's friend spoke to me about it and I told her what was going on, the more I felt that this may be an option. I am already in the read with my health. I am in pain and I am out of breath. I cannot diet, I have tried too many times, and it failed. I have two issues:

1. My primary care doctor is leaving the practice.

2. I am relocating to New York for college (and probably permanently), so my parents won't be with me.

How much can this cost? We can afford it, but I was wondering.

I also have never had surgery before (not even stitches for a cut). The worst I have had was a splinter taken out of me.

Evan, Kudos for realizing that WE can't do everything. So many people say those that have lap band are cheating.....but those people don't understand and don't listen to them. Only you know what you have been through. As far as talking to your parents about it.....your mom's friend sounds like a real asset to you. Has she talked to your mom about you having lap band or just you. If not, maybe you two could talk to her together. But keep in mind....you are an adult now. This is not like asking mom for a tattoo. This is a procedure that could improve your quality of life and in fact may save your life. You must beat that into their heads if at first they object. When I mentioned it to my husband I can't describe to you the rejection I got from him. He was stern in his "no" decision. But he has never been overweight and has never had to diet. I started showing him Internet videos about how obesity is one of the leading causes of death (indirectly) in people today. Most of us on this forum were banded by Dr. Ariel Ortiz in Tijuana, Mexico. On his website (you can click home in the upper left hand corner of this forum) is www.obesitycontrolcenter.com and he has posted videos about the procedure and a video about a study performed in Australia, I believe, on diabetes being cured after lap band. Wherever you decide to go...do your research on your surgeon. Of course I would recommend Dr. Ortiz. You can read his credentials on his website but please read testimonials on this forum.....the patients will speak for him, his staff, and his facility. He charges $7,950 (which includes transportation from and to San Diego Airport, 2 nights stay at a beautiful hotel, and the procedure, plus fills are free - you just have to pay $100 for fluoroscopy - they will explain aftercare to you if you decide to go with Dr. Ortiz)....as where most US surgeons charge $14-22 thousand. I even read a forum post somewhere that in Penn. they charge like $40-44G. That is absolutely ridiculous. Also check with your insurance. They may cover weight loss surgery. It is a very long approval process but it would be worth it if they would pay. Also when you do decide to tell your mom.....use this forum. Show her how happy we are. Show her our concerns. She will see that the good outweighs the bad by a mile. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Hi Evan, my name is Brittania and I was banded on 3-27-08, so I am very new to this. So far my experience has been wonderful! Before I told anyone that I wanted the lap band I researched it for about 1 year. The hardest thing for me was telling my mom (she was the first person I told). Her reaction was surprising, I thought that she would be against it but she was all for it once I showed her all of the facts. From all of my research I found that Dr. Ortiz is the most qualified and experienced lap band surgeon out there! The only down fall is he only preforms the surgery in TJ, Mexico, but the good part about that is it costs a lot less for the surgery (about $8000 compared to about $20,000 in the states)! Getting the band was the best decision I have ever made! I couldn't be more happy!