Eating 3 weeks post op and before first fill

Had my sugery on 3/24 and although I am only on real food for 2 days, I can already tell I am eating like a horse!!! I can't get back to the center until the end of may for my first fill. So, my question is, can I go back to the Adkins Advantage shakes and lean cuisine for dinner until my first fill? I know we aren't supposed to rely on liquids, but isn't that true only AFTER the first fill? I am so afraid I am going to gain back the 25 pounds I lost so far.

I know exactly how you feel! I think that would be okay. Those shakes are not just empty calories. You would take in less calories eating those than eating like a horse. I think you are right about the shakes after fills. I have been living by lean cuisine type meals. Smart Ones even makes a ham, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwich. It's delicious. Just try to make healthy food choices when you do eat. But don't be discouraged if you gain some of your weight back between now and your fill. Lots of people gain wait while waiting on their fill. Keep us posted.

Ok- after you get the band- it says no liquid calories or protein shakes bc they pass thru the band and dont leave you feeling full for a long time- helps you avoid snacking throughout the day, etc. If you are ok with feeling hungry (like we all did on the pre-op diet) i dont see why it would be a bad thing. I still use a slim fast as a meal replacement sometimes- The key is to treat it like a MEAL- not eat that and then eat again. However, going back to your old eating habits isnt a good thing! Personally, i think 3/4 of having the band is mental!! You have to control yourself, and its hard! No human being needs the amount of food that I was eating before I got the band- it was crazy how much I was eating- then to all of sudden have to stop eating all that- was very hard, but this is my new life and its something that I have to learn to deal with!

I hope that this helps a little bit! Its hard- really hard, but you can do it! portion control!!!!!

I am sorry you aren't feeling any restriction, but honestly that's very common and that's why it's called "bandster hell" you are smart to recognize your weaknesses and take the steps to get the most successful results you can!!

I have done an optifast for breakfast since day 6 of banding, because it's a great protein boost and I'm usually not hungry enough in the morning to eat a full meal!

You will do great!!

If losing weight post op to first fill is a bonus, then how did you manage to lose so much weight in there MichelleMama? Do tell us your secret?

I am sorry you aren't feeling any restriction, but honestly that's very common and that's why it's called "bandster hell" you are smart to recognize your weaknesses and take the steps to get the most successful results you can!!

I have done an optifast for breakfast since day 6 of banding, because it's a great protein boost and I'm usually not hungry enough in the morning to eat a full meal!

You will do great!!

If losing weight post op to first fill is a bonus, then how did you manage to lose so much weight in there MichelleMama? Do tell us your secret?

Lol, well maybe the optifast was part of the secret!!

Honestly there's no secret, just following the rules!

1000 - 1200 calories per day

60 - 100 grams of protein per day

80 - 100 oz of water per day

20 - 45 min of exercise per day

I post a lot of my daily triumphs, trials and thoughts on my blog: http://mamamichellelv.wordpress.com/ so if you really want a peek inside my head that's where you'll find it!! :lol: lol

For anyone who is interested, you can purchase Optifast at ebay. I've bought the Optifast 800 ready made shakes in Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry. They have 14 gr of protein. They average about $4.00 a shake and they taste awesome. You can buy the Optifast 800 powder packs also on ebay and they are cheaper. For both items, you don't always have to bid and wait to see if you've won, they have a buy it now deal, which is how I go.

Barb

I get mine from another doctor's E-store I pay $16.75 for a box of 7 shakes...

Yes it is the Optifast 800, the 800 is how many calories minimum you should eat in a day... each shake has 160 calories in it so you can have 5 a day or more depending on your weight loss needs/goals. The reason they want you to get it through a doctor is because they want you to be on a montoring plan if you are eating so few calories..

Like I said I replace 1-2 meals with a shake per day, taking up 320 calories which leaves 680-880 that I can have for my 3rd meal...

Had my sugery on 3/24 and although I am only on real food for 2 days, I can already tell I am eating like a horse!!! I can't get back to the center until the end of may for my first fill. So, my question is, can I go back to the Adkins Advantage shakes and lean cuisine for dinner until my first fill? I know we aren't supposed to rely on liquids, but isn't that true only AFTER the first fill? I am so afraid I am going to gain back the 25 pounds I lost so far.

Hey Mona,

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about!! I'm so afraid that I'll go back to my old habits now that I'm on solid food! It's so easy to slip right back into it.... I had too much for dinner and now my stomach hurts cause I probably stretched it. I'm going to drink a protein shake for breakfast tomorrow and eat a light lunch and take it easy for dinner. Gotta keep reminding ourselves [in my case, continuously!!] why we got banded!! ;)

We can do this Mona, we have to stick together and help each other through the tuff times. That's why I love this forum so much, I have no one else but you all that understands!! ><' Your Bandster Buddy, Darlene