Colonoscopy?

I'm scheduled for my first colonoscopy in late May. My Primary Care Doc knows I'm banded, but we've elected to keep it out of my medical records...this is a small town and even with privacy laws we felt it was a private matter (only husband knows i'm banded) and didn't want it leaking out into public knowledge. I saw the doctor who does the colonoscopy and didn't tell him...should I? Again, I don't want it in my medical records, but in a normal 'scope they don't need to put a tube down your throat for anything.

What do you all think?

Twigs

Twigs, Wow - your first colonoscopy...how exciting :cheerleader: JK. I am a nurse and part of me wants to tell you to inform your MD of all surgeries but I also understand why you don't want to disclose the fact about banding. I too come from a small town. With that in mind, since a colonscopy is a view from the bottom end so to speak, the scope will not come anywhere near the band. Therefore, I do not think you not telling him will put you or your band in danger. But....I am really good friends with the gastroenterologist where I live and I will see him later this week.....how about I just ask him for you so that you can be completely sure. It may also be a good idea to ask your primary care doc if he thinks you should disclose the info. I will let you know when I find out something.

Just my opinion, but I would want any Dr. doing a surgery on me to know that I have a band.

WOW...good luck with your colonoscopy.

I'm with Kimmie....I would want my doctor to know I've been banded, just in case.

But I can understand Twigs not wanting to divulge that information. Of course, my husband knows I'm getting banded, but my family thinks I'm going to San Diego on office business and my office thinks I'm going to a family reunion. I just gotta keep 'em straight!

Let's see what Blazn finds out from her Doctor friend. I would be curious to hear about that!

Barb

Thanks Blazn...I'll look forward to your input.

That's the problem with small town living...you can't burp without someone knowing about it. My Mom, sons, and the rest of my family thought I went to a "retreat" aimed at helping people with weight issues. Close to the truth, but not quite there. I also flew down to SD for my first fill. That time I was out of town for a class. In my profession it is common for me to leave town for classes and such so no one thought anything about that absence. I guarantee you though that if one records person or nurse at the hospital/clinic knew about the band it would become common knowledge.

Oh yes, I soooo excited abut the colonoscopy (NOT). Here's what so funny about it though...when given the choice of the dates I picked the day of an annual event here in my school that I just hate. Sitting in the bleachers with my students or going under sedation....uhmmmmmm...I'll go for the drugs!

Thanks for the input.

Twigs

Thanks Blazn...I'll look forward to your input.

That's the problem with small town living...you can't burp without someone knowing about it. My Mom, sons, and the rest of my family thought I went to a "retreat" aimed at helping people with weight issues. Close to the truth, but not quite there. I also flew down to SD for my first fill. That time I was out of town for a class. In my profession it is common for me to leave town for classes and such so no one thought anything about that absence. I guarantee you though that if one records person or nurse at the hospital/clinic knew about the band it would become common knowledge.

Oh yes, I soooo excited abut the colonoscopy (NOT). Here's what so funny about it though...when given the choice of the dates I picked the day of an annual event here in my school that I just hate. Sitting in the bleachers with my students or going under sedation....uhmmmmmm...I'll go for the drugs!

Thanks for the input.

Twigs

Twigs - for some reason I did not see the gastroenterologist this week but I will try to get in touch with him before your procedure. When is you consultation or next office visit?

Twigs - for some reason I did not see the gastroenterologist this week but I will try to get in touch with him before your procedure. When is you consultation or next office visit?

I'm scheduled for the end of May. He promises me I won't feel a thing. :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey - just wanted to let you know I talked to my gastroenterologist and he said there is no reason to disclose the fact that you have been banded. He said having a colonoscopy will not compromise the band at all and your gastroenterologist will not come anywhere near it during the procedure....so if you don't want to tell him, don't! Good luck!

Hey - just wanted to let you know I talked to my gastroenterologist and he said there is no reason to disclose the fact that you have been banded. He said having a colonoscopy will not compromise the band at all and your gastroenterologist will not come anywhere near it during the procedure....so if you don't want to tell him, don't! Good luck!

Thanks for all your extra leg work on that! I really appreciate it.

Twigs

• 1 month later...

i didnt want to be put to sleep for my colonoscopy.

I brought the room down when, after the doctor inserted the scope far enough, I said.. "OWWW....NOW I KNOW WHAT A MUPPET FEELS LIKE, DOC..."

Near the end, I confirmed that he DID NOT find my head up there, contrary to certain people's opinion.

Tell the doc. If you have any complication, and something bad happens, that is important information. Just tell him privately, and tell him you want it to remain completely off the record for privacy reasons.

Some people react poorly to anesthesia, and throw up a lot afterwards. You better believe I want the doc to know about my band, just in case of something like that.

Near the end, I confirmed that he DID NOT find my head up there, contrary to certain people's opinion.

LOL!!!