My 1st Fill Experience

This is the 2nd half of my trip report from San Diego and Tijuana... If you'd like to read the full report check out my blog: http://mamamichellelv.wordpress.com/

All 8 of us (5 bandsters and 3 daughters there for support) walked into the OCC to some pretty surprised faces, lol we were a big crowd… There were 6 or 7 women there getting banded who also had family there for support so it was a packed lobby, we started to mingle and then Claudia checked us in and took our payment ($100) and had us fill out a quick questionnaire (name, age, address, when was your surgery date, starting weight, current weight, date of your last period, etc) along with a medical release and a survey about birth control or something… Once we got those turned in we kept chatting (poor Claudia had to yell over us to call patients in for their bloodwork and other pre-op tests) but it was so great to be able to talk to patients just about to be banded and share our success stories, tips, and ease some fears hopefully! Then Jenn and Cassie walked in, they are total rock stars in my eyes having met Oprah and everything… Both were super sweet and encouraging- of course everyone had questions for Cassie about her surgery, and fills and progress poor girl was probably worn out answering everyone’s questions, lol.

At about 9:30 they called the first one of us from our fill group in, it was Lisa and she was in and out before I even knew she was gone!! Hanna was up next and I wanted to take some pictures for her since her daughter wasn’t feeling well, she was totally relaxed and took it like a champ- for me it was really comforting to watch her go through the whole process so I knew exactly what was coming and what to expect!! After Hanna it was my turn and I told her to go get Linda so she could watch me, before I knew it in walks Linda, Lisa, Cassie, Jenn and Hanna… lol it was a full house in that little fill room!

Dr. Romero had me lay on the table- put some iodine on my belly and showed me where my port was (a little below and to the left of my port scar) and then he set up all his supplies. He turned on the Fluro machine and showed me my port (which was fine, not flipped) and also showed me the esophagus and the pouch (fine again, not stretched) so no problems at all! He then inserted the needle, not really much pain though pretty weird seeing the needle sticking out of your belly. He had me drink the Barium and showed me on the fluro screen how the liquid flowed pretty quickly through the unfilled band, then he flushed some water in and out of the band (to clear out any air bubbles) and then gave me a 1.6cc fill and asked me to drink the Barium again. We looked at the fluro screen again and watched the Barium drain through the pouch at about 1/3rd the speed as it did before!! Pretty amazing… He then asked me to drink some water and I took a big gulp (old habits die hard, lol) I paid for that gulp later when I ended up burping, well it was more like belching actually for about an hour after my fill… Sweet Hanna was so worried about me she asked Dr. Romero to check my fill, so I got back on the table and drank another sip of Barium and everything was flowing well so no problems at all!! After we all got our fills we left the OCC for a little shopping and then crossed back into San Diego with a little traffic but no other problems!!

Overall it was an amazing experience!!!

Thanks for your post Michelle!!

I go for my fill next month and it's nice hearing a play by play!! :lb24:

I go on the 6th.. thanks for the encouraging words! You made me all excited again to go for my fill.

Was your band the small one? Were you happy with the 1.6 fill?

Boy how time flies!

I had my first fill 3 weeks ago, and an unfill 5 days later. Boy let me tell you this is certainly an experience!! I've experienced the 'slimming' and vomit on more than a few occassions. This certainly is a process.

Anyway - I LOVE the ladies at the Arlington Pharmacy (in WA State)!! They are so kind and understanding.

My band size is the 4/9.5 or something like that. Which I guess means I can be filled up to 4ccs. They filled me with 1.6ccs. About 5 days later I realized I wasn't really eating anything, so they did an unfil - .6ccs. Now I'm good. I don't usually ever feel hungry, so I need to remind myself to eat and since the fill I'm loosing about 3lbs a week. I'm so happy!

This is a great new start for me, and I'm loving it so much. I cry sometimes because I'm so happy. While I still have about 50lbs to go, I know now that it's possible - and it's really happening. I'm looking forward to summer this year for the first time in so long!

Good Luck to us all!!

Much Peace,

Maggie

Boy how time flies!

I had my first fill 3 weeks ago, and an unfill 5 days later. Boy let me tell you this is certainly an experience!! I've experienced the 'slimming' and vomit on more than a few occassions. This certainly is a process.

Anyway - I LOVE the ladies at the Arlington Pharmacy (in WA State)!! They are so kind and understanding.

My band size is the 4/9.5 or something like that. Which I guess means I can be filled up to 4ccs. They filled me with 1.6ccs. About 5 days later I realized I wasn't really eating anything, so they did an unfil - .6ccs. Now I'm good. I don't usually ever feel hungry, so I need to remind myself to eat and since the fill I'm loosing about 3lbs a week. I'm so happy!

This is a great new start for me, and I'm loving it so much. I cry sometimes because I'm so happy. While I still have about 50lbs to go, I know now that it's possible - and it's really happening. I'm looking forward to summer this year for the first time in so long!

Good Luck to us all!!

Much Peace,

Maggie

Did you have the fluro with your fill?

Disregard my other post about your experience - I found it. That's great!! How is your restriction now? I guess you are still on liquids. Keep us posted. My first fill -- 2weeks and counting!!!

Michelle - now that you are a few days out from your fill how is your restriction? Is today your first day eating food? What are the recommendations after a fill...day 1 clear liquids, day 2 creamy liquids, day 3 ?