What can I expect

calicat

So I'm a little confused. At week 3 - Dr. Miranda has us eating solids....right? But I'm reading a few posts here and there that refer to "sticking", or "getting stuck", or breads not being good, etc.

So if our band is not restricted yet, and our swelling is theoretically gone, what's to stop us from being able to eat steak and pizza and....??

Can someone please explain it for me??

I do understand how the restriction works, and how that will affect the foods we choose to eat, as well as, the amount we eat. I'm just confused about the non-restricted phase between week 3 and our first fill??

Thanks bandsters!!!

I think that everyone is different, I haven't had any problems with any food not even doughy bread. But I have read that some people cant eat bread after their three week post op liquid diet. I believe that all of our stomachs are different sizes and the people with smaller stomachs the band has no restriction when it is not filled, but those that have larger stomachs have restriction when the band is not filled.

Breads, rice, pastas all seem to be a problem with a lot of people. They told me that when we swallow it sits and collects as a ball in front of the band and this causes us to PB (regurgitate). I am 4 month post op- and bread is still a no-no as well as a few other things. Even chicken if it is too dry will get stuck. When this happens you need to stop! You will definitely feel it happening. Just use this experience to learn the things you need to avoid or take more time with. I still occasionally have these things, but in very small amounts and I need to be extra careful to eat with sauces or take extra time chewing and time between bites.

I had surgery April 3rd, and my doc has me on a 5 wk restricted diet - 2 oz. at a time, yogurt, strained cream soups, sugar free pudding, applesauce or popsicles. My first fill will be on May 13th. Are you saying the rest of you folks get to EAT??? I wasn't hungry at first, but now that I've healed, I am starting to get really hungry.

It sounds like you got your surgery in the US? I've read the post op guidelines online and it sounds very similiar. Dr. Ortiz recommends we stay on clear liquids for 1 week, then 2 weeks of creamy liquids - anything that can be sipped thru a straw. He wants us to eat 3 small meals per day, every day until week 6, when we can go in our first fill.

I had surgery April 3rd, and my doc has me on a 5 wk restricted diet - 2 oz. at a time, yogurt, strained cream soups, sugar free pudding, applesauce or popsicles. My first fill will be on May 13th. Are you saying the rest of you folks get to EAT??? I wasn't hungry at first, but now that I've healed, I am starting to get really hungry.

I think that everyone is different, I haven't had any problems with any food not even doughy bread. But I have read that some people cant eat bread after their three week post op liquid diet. I believe that all of our stomachs are different sizes and the people with smaller stomachs the band has no restriction when it is not filled, but those that have larger stomachs have restriction when the band is not filled.

Brittany I see you are a golfer. How long after the baning did yo play? I am 21 days into the post op tomorrow and would like to play on wednesday.

I am 1 month post op and can eat anything. Yep, anything. I have had 1 major pb episode where I ate a triscuit cracker and forgot to chew it really well... a few minutes later I wanted to fall to the floor writhing in pain! If I hadn't read and knew that I was experiencing food getting stuck then I would've sworn I was having a heart attack! It was intense... followed by my first and so far only sliming/throwing up episode.. it lasted 45minutes and I was on liquids the rest of the day.

I find that if I eat chicken to quickly and don't remember to chew chew chew (duh) I will occasionally get a "tight/stuck" feeling. I am really looking forward to my first fill.

As far as I can tell by reading the board everyone single person is different... sooo.. that does not answer you questions at all does it?? LOL

:wacko:

I too, unfortunately, can eat anything I want. Well...I guess I do get fuller faster but I don't think it has anything to do with my band. I think it is because my real stomach has shrunk. My first fill is scheduled for May 3rd and I can't wait. I don't want to eat all this stuff but my will power is slipping!!

Thanks everyone! I am learning that EACH of us are different - and can handle different foods, etc. I guess I'm just going to try everything I want until I see what does or does not work.

Thanks again!