Completley amazed

I was sitting hear, eating my 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and a few slices of turkey, thinking about how many calories Im getting on average now. Im between 800-1100 (friday OR saturday is prob my highest :angry: ) But0 is anyone else just completely amazed at the amount of food that we need to survive compared to what we were eating before? This whole process (post op diet/pre-op diet, new LIFE diet!) has really re-worked my brain and I am soooo thankful for it! Food no longer controls my life. sure, I have my moments when I NEED TO EAT, but now i take a step back and think about what it is I really want.

Before the band I was eating ridiculous amounts of food- I never let myself get hungry bc I was always eating- HUGE meals, tons of snacks, candy, diet cokes, red bull, ICE CREAM!!!! I would want to know what was for dinner before breakfast was over. Or if it was around 6:00 and I hadnt had dinner yet, I would start to get angry, like withdrawls almost, LOL!

I just wanted to post this bc I know how hard it is for most people on the diets before and after the band..but it gets better. You will wake up one day and realize that it was all worth it!

I am proud to say that I am know understanding eating to live, not living to eat. I am thrilled to be on this journey..its hard, but its the best thing Ive ever done for myself! :good2: :lol2:

It is amazing, isn't it? Everyone keeps asking us if we feel okay, like we are going to fall over in a dead faint at any moment. I don't know how many times I have explained to people that we need much, much less food to get by than the average American eats.

Since my husband and I are both banded and the kids are grown and gone, we forget how big a "normal" meal is. When we go out to dinner with friends, I am absolutely floored by the amount of food other people eat. We went out to lunch Saturday with friends, and I ordered a bowl of chili. I ate my lunch, brought the rest home, and it lasted for two more meals for me. The friends cleaned their plates, and they had ordered much larger meals than I did. It definitely makes you realize why obesity is such a problem in this country!

MacKenzie... how did you find giving up Diet Coke. I drink alot of it, and I know I will be going through withdrawals for sure. Any suggestions? Did you/do you miss it?

Yes, it's amazing how little food we do need but I also find it amazing how some people can eat SO MUCH and not gain weight.

My little sister is about 4'11 and weighs probably 100 lbs. She has ALWAYS been able to out eat me at any meal. Whenever we eat together she has always made a scene about how I eat like a bird. It's pretty embarrassing sometimes so I usually follow up that she thinks I eat like bird only because she eats like a seagull. And she really does. She can consume so much food that if I did that I'd gain 5 lbs in a day. (and she's over 40 so age and weight don't seem to affect her). My boyfriend is the same way and he is skinny, of course. When we would go out he will eat his meal and finish up anything I don't want or can't eat. I asked him the other day how much he weighed. He has now lost 2 lbs since we met. On the other hand, I gained 14 lbs. Life can be cruel. :D

Mackenzie, yes, that too has hit me. I made the same comment during the post-op clear liquid diet phase. I could not believe how little my body needed to survive - well not only survive but feel good. I cannot believe how much I used to eat.....even though I was not hungry I would clean my plate. Always. Thank God for this renewal on life.

allcdngirl: Well giving up diet coke was pretty hard.. i used to drink like 4 or 5 a day!!!! I quit for my pre op diet - and had one the night before surgery. I drank A LOT OF water- about a gallon 1/2 a day for the first 2 weeks. I also started drinking green tea in the AM- and now I drink propel as a treat. I feel A LOT better- just in not drinking so much diet coke! I knew it was bad for me but I was in denial! hahah I dont think Ill go back to that even after my 6 months is up.. I dont miss it anymore! Good luck, you can do it!

Redhead: that is too funny! All of my friends can pretty much eat whatever and stay the same... my husband is the same too- None of them understand the feelings that we have and our struggles with food that is why I LOVE THIS FORUM!

Mackenzie you are sooo right. I am already amazed just going from pre-op to my liquid phase about how little I need. And I totally agree with you about how crazy it is that all of my friends can eat what they want and not gain an ounce so this forum is a huge comfort to me. All of you know how hard it is to go up and down up and down and still be bigger and bigger and feel less and less confidant. I am so glad I have met other young people that have the same problems and decided to go this way. Good luck Mackenzie can't wait to see you lbs drop!!

Diet coke was also a huge vice of mine, it was so easy to go a couple of blocks for the 44 oz one at sonic at least once mostly twice a day. But I have replaced it with lots of decaffeinated tea, crystal light, and even a little bit of fresh lime or lemon juice in my water. Stick with it though I was surprised that I didn't want just lick the can to get close but it hasn't been terrible at all. You can do it!!