Lap Band Storyline on a Soap Opera

I saw this on another board!! I don't watch soap operas but the other day as I was sitting in a waiting room in the doctor's office (I think that's where it was!) the Guiding Light was on. At first I thought I was crazy or just band obsessed but then I researched it and its true. One of the characters on the Guiding Light has a story line right now about band surgery! Does anyone watch this? If so, are they treating the story line fairly and giving accurate information? I was really just blown away! The band has made it to the soaps... go figure!

I used to watch it every once in a while, but they changed the way they film and it makes me sea sick!! Too much movement and extreme close-ups. Anyways, there's only one girl I can think of on the show that would even come close to needing the band... the rest of them are as skinny as rails!! I forget her name on the show, but she's a young blonde girl who probably weighs around 225 to 250lbs. Very pretty and a very good actress. I wish I could remember her name.....

Yes, I watch GL. It is my favorite soap - it deals with more real life issues than just who's sleeping with who (although there is some of that in there). Anyway the character's name is Ashlee and since she started the show a couple of years ago she has been dealing with weight issues (on the show). She was taking diet pills at one time and she always made her weight an issue in her relationships. So a couple of weeks ago she started talking to Coop (her BF on the show) about gastric banding (not necessarily calling it Lap Band - as that is a trademark Brand). Of course he did not want her to do it and keep insisting that he loved her the way she is. Which is great and all but she finally had a breakthrough episode and proclaimed to him that everything was not about him and that this was for her and her alone. She just had the surgery last week and she was not on the show today so I am not sure how they will play the story out. I hope they are doing this to promote the band and show people that although people may support and love you the way you are - you are not wrong for wanting to better yourself for YOU and you alone. I will keep you posted as the story plays out.

PS I kinda figure the person who plays Ashlee really did have the surgery so they worked it into the show so that the audience would know why she was losing weight.

She has a myspace.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endID=157479019

Yes, I watch GL. It is my favorite soap - it deals with more real life issues than just who's sleeping with who (although there is some of that in there). Anyway the character's name is Ashlee and since she started the show a couple of years ago she has been dealing with weight issues (on the show). She was taking diet pills at one time and she always made her weight an issue in her relationships. So a couple of weeks ago she started talking to Coop (her BF on the show) about gastric banding (not necessarily calling it Lap Band - as that is a trademark Brand). Of course he did not want her to do it and keep insisting that he loved her the way she is. Which is great and all but she finally had a breakthrough episode and proclaimed to him that everything was not about him and that this was for her and her alone. She just had the surgery last week and she was not on the show today so I am not sure how they will play the story out. I hope they are doing this to promote the band and show people that although people may support and love you the way you are - you are not wrong for wanting to better yourself for YOU and you alone. I will keep you posted as the story plays out.

PS I kinda figure the person who plays Ashlee really did have the surgery so they worked it into the show so that the audience would know why she was losing weight.

Update on GL and the lap band surgery.....This is from Tuesday's episode. Ashlee is now on the post-op diet and drinking only liquids. Ashlee's mom tells her to support her she is going to do the diet with her. Ashlee also tells her mom to feel her right shoulder - "it's an air bubble" she explains (I didn't know you could feel them.) She explains about the pain in the shoulder associated with gas and actually describes what is happening....even mentioning how they pump the air into your body which gets trapped under the diaphragm...etc. Anyway she tries to show her mom her incisions and let her feel her port but her mom tells her no. She also talks about the importance of walking to prevent blood clots, work out soreness, and get air out.

Here is the video link.....only a little over 8 minutes.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5X4FCRracqM

Interesting clip I totally identify with her issue about seeing the food and wanting it... I used to watch DAYS for 2 years in college so I'm no expert but is the acting and the actual production of the Guiding Light was always so bad??? Seemed like an amateur production and not a main stream soap... Maybe it was just a problem with whoever recorded the clip, a bad video stream??

Interesting clip I totally identify with her issue about seeing the food and wanting it... I used to watch DAYS for 2 years in college so I'm no expert but is the acting and the actual production of the Guiding Light was always so bad??? Seemed like an amateur production and not a main stream soap... Maybe it was just a problem with whoever recorded the clip, a bad video stream??

No the soap has not always been like this. I have watched GL for years and in February they moved their set to Springfield...somewhere - not sure what state, but they did this because the show has always been shot in "Springfield". Anyway they had this big change and their motto now is "This is life". They changed their approach to be more "real" so the filming does come across as very amateur but it's like they want to get up close and in person with the actors. I can't really describe it. It is kinda aggravating though.

• 2 weeks later...

And the Lap Band story on Guiding light continues. This is last Wednesdays episode. Not sure where they are going with the storyline. Ashlee (the character that has had the band) is only a couple of weeks post-op and is really wanting to speed up her weight loss. She is working out, hard! Her friend is worried about her. Not sure what they will do with the story but I do think they are trying to cover it in a positive way. Here is the youtube link.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VQaKnIAVOCM

I won't even watch GL anymore, I hate the way they are filming it. I don't mind the "real" look, as far as being outside or in real places. I hate the constant camara movement and extreme close ups!! Makes me motion sick!! I heard they use hand held camaras to get that effect.... they lost me as a loyal watcher!! I do wish Ashlee luck and best wishes though!! :cheerleader:

The actress from GL was/is featured on todays episode of Entertainment Tonight (ET) where they are talking about how she actually had the surgery not just the character on the show having it (as we assumed).

It comes on at 7pm pacific time tonight and they replay it at like 1:30 am so maybe you east coast people can catch the late night replay!

I am not at home to watch soaps..but did note several episodes on You-tube..she was also featured on Entertainment Tonight the other night.

It's about time they started focusing on the weight problem in your country (U.S.) and ours (Canada). In Canada, they cover gastric bypass but not Lapband.

Why I have no idea??

Have a great day ladies!

Cathy

Here is a clip from last Thursday's episode of GL. You can really start to tell "Ashlee" is losing weight! For those of you that have not seen it - make sure you check out Michelle's post with the ET story about the actress really having lap band!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Clg62IZt5AU&feature=related

• 1 month later...

Ok - Caitlin (Ashlee on GL) is really looking AMAZING!! Guiding light has really done a good job with this Lap Band story. I am not sure how much she has lost to date but she really looks wonderful. She has a myspace with a few updated photos. Check it out!!

http://www.myspace.com/caitlincodyvanzandt (you will have to be logged in to view the photos - if you do not have a myspace - Then Get One!!! - post your lap band story!!)

For you newbies, Caitlin Van Zandt plays Ashlee on Guiding Light (soap on CBS). I think maybe in February, Caitlin had lap band and GL decided to add it to the story line for Ashlee. They have done really well with the story and even went through the common complaints like gas pains and how to excercise and how not to excercise, etc. A lot of the story is on youtube.com but I have not found anything recent.

Thank you for the update, I was wondering how she was doing,

I don't watch soaps but I had viewed the links you guys provided

on you tube a few months ago.

Thanks Again

Here are some before and after pics of Caitlin Van Zandt in her weight loss journey with Lap band.

BEFORE:::

280_cvanzandt_070410_bwetcher_hbo.jpg

soap-opera-actresses.jpg

AFTER:::

dt_gl_cast_240_cvanzandt.jpg

caitlin_vanzandt.jpg

daytime_emmys_20.JPG

• 3 months later...

UPDATE!!! Caitlin is down 70lbs since her surgery in Feb...

There's a video clip here: http://kdka.com/entertainment/Guiding.Ligh...y.2.839920.html

'GL' Actress Sheds Pounds After Lap Band Surgery

Reporting

Brenda Waters PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― During the last few months, viewers of the CBS soap opera Guiding Light may have noticed one of the characters melting away right before their eyes.

Caitlin Van Zandt who plays the role of Ashlee Wolfe recently lost more than 70 pounds.

She was a plus size actress who never had trouble landing roles, but she knew she could look and feel better.

More than a year ago, at the age of 22, Van Zandt weighed more than 200 pounds and suffered from high cholesterol, asthma and low self-esteem.

Van Zandt was in town recently to talk about some changes she had made.

She lost the weight in seven months.

"I never let my physical appearance stop me from following my dream which was to act, to entertain people, to bring enlightenment or enjoyment to people, but I was never comfortable in my skin," said Van Zandt.

Nor was she happy.

She says she tried all the popular diets, went to the gym and worked out with a trainer.

She would lose 20 pounds and then gain it all back plus more.

Then she did some research and so read about weight loss surgeries.

She decided to go with the lap band procedure, which she had done in February.

Her goal is to lose 100 pounds.

"I am not worried when I go into wardrobe and pick up my costume that it is not going to fit, because there days when the jeans would be too tight and I would leave unbuttoned and go down and do my scene," said Van Zandt. "I just know that those awkward things will never happen again."

The producer of Guiding Light, Ellen Wheeler, was supportive and even worked the weight loss into the plot of the soap.

Caitlin says initially viewers were outraged, fearing that she had been forced to shed the pounds.

Then, she started traveling across the country with her surgeon, Doctor George Fielding.

Caitlin had the procedure done at the NYU Medical Center.

"So what we do, we do this through laparoscopic surgery where we put a telescope in and make tiny little holes," said Dr. Fielding. "I work my way around the back of the stomach and I wrap this band around like so and lock it into place and what it does it makes this new upper part of the stomach about the size of a golf ball. So the food hits that and stretches and you get full."

Doctor Fielding had the surgery himself nine years ago and lost 120 pounds.

He calls it minimally invasive, which means patients can go home the same day.

The lap band remains in your stomach for life if you choose.

If not, it can be removed when you have reached your desired weight but Doctor Fielding warns that most people gain weight.

Van Zandt says she plans to keep hers in place.

"I am so much, more happy," she said. "So much more relaxed, so much more proud of who I am."

Thanks for the update, Michelle. I love GL but school has me so busy I hardly have time to watch any TV at all.