Aftercare in the US/MIDWEST

Hello all,

I am a band surgeon in Cincinnati, Ohio, and we have just opened our practice up to patients from Mexico for aftercare. I am an experienced surgeon and have done thousands of fills. If you need our help just call us at 877.442.BAND or 513.559.1222

Dr. Trace Curry

330 Straight Street #401

Clifton Surgical

Cincinnati, Ohio 45219

Hello all,

I am a band surgeon in Cincinnati, Ohio, and we have just opened our practice up to patients from Mexico for aftercare. I am an experienced surgeon and have done thousands of fills. If you need our help just call us at 877.442.BAND or 513.559.1222

Dr. Trace Curry

330 Straight Street #401

Clifton Surgical

Cincinnati, Ohio 45219

Thanks Dr. Curry wish you were here in Calif. Maybe you can answer some of us bandsters questions or doubt?

Sylvia

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

Dr. Trace Curry

330 Straight Street #401

Clifton Surgical

Cincinnati, Ohio 45219

THERE WAS MORE ATTACHED TO THIS THREAD BUT IT LOOKS LIKE IT'S NOW BEEN DELETED?

IF DR CURRY IS STILL A MEMBER OF THIS BOARD, I'D LIKE TO INVITE HIM TO ELABORATE ON THIS AS I THINK OTHERS WOULD FIND IT INTERESTING ALSO.

LITTLEROO,

YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT EROSION AND THE BAND BEING TO TIGHT. I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR ANY INFORMATION ON THIS AND JUST CAME ACROSS THIS FROM DR CURRY ON ANOTHER BOARD AND FOUND IT INTERESTING.

Surgeon tip of the day - when do I need a fill?

The answer to the above question is NOT "every time you see your doctor!"

Some of my patients think they need a fill every time. This is not the case! In my opinion, the looser you can keep your band and still lose at a rate of 1-2 lbs/week the better off you are. The tighter you are the more risk you are for slippage and erosion. This is not a race!

The next thing is, if you are disappointed in your weight loss, make SURE you are doing your part - diet and exercise must be followed properly before you start relying on your band.

The band is not a crutch - you can't follow poor eating habits and not exercise and hope that the band will be strong enough to overcome that - it won't!

Also - if you have a question for me please post a separate message, don't post new topics on this thread as I can't keep up with them all!

Dr. C

Dr. C...I have heard that if you are not losing 1-2 lbs/weekly, can eat more than 1- 1 1/2 cups of food, and are not staying full between meals (say 3-4 hours apart), then it's time to think about a fill. Would you say this is a good checklist? Thanks!

Yes, but if you're losing 2 lbs/week I might hold off on a fill even if you are eating 1 1/2 cups at a time - if it ain't broke don't fix it!

For example I have one patient who has had only 2 fills and has lost 115 lbs in a year. She exercises like crazy and her band isn't all that tight. I would rather see this any day than a patient with a super-tight band who sits on the couch all day with an equivalent weight loss!

Dr. C

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

I EMAILED DR CURRY TO SEE IF HE COULD SHED ANY LIGHT ON THIS:

Sorry I'm kinda short on time I'll try to answer this briefly and maybe you can post it for me...

When an erosion happens, we never know the true cause, but if you had a bracelet that was too tight on your wrist for a year it would erode through the skin. The same mechanism applies to the band. Do we have actual statistics on this? Not really...but it's kind of logical when you think about it.

As far as I'm concerned there is only one kind of erosion--band eroding into the stomach. The band is a foreign body, it causes an inflammatory response which can lead to an erosion. It doesn't make sense to say the stomach erodes into the band -- the stomach was perfectly happy as is when there wasn't a band wrapped around it.

Make sense?

C

THANK YOU DR CURRY FOR TAKING THE TIME TO EMAIL :)

I had surgery in early July, my first fill Aug. 15th, and still have no restriction whatsoever. I live in northern Ohio and called around to several band doctors within an hour's drive to me. I had many doctors refuse to give me a fill, since I had surgery with Dr. Ortiz/Dr. Martinez in Mexico. One office in Toledo would treat me, but charged-GET THIS--$175 consultation fee, $250 doctor's fee, and $1000 to St. Vincent's hospital for the xray!! WOW!

I went ahead and made an appointment to go back to Mexico for my second fill--leaving tomorrow am, actually. As I was getting things together this morning, I happened to check the postings on this site and came across Dr. Curry's message about doing fills for surgery-out-of-the country band patients. Cincinnati is about 4 hours drive away from me, but I thought, well, let me call just to see what they say...

I called Dr. Curry's office today, and spoke the the office manager, Tracy--who was lovely! She was very generous with her time and patience. I was THRILLED to find out that their fees were reasonable and acceptable, and look forward to using them in the future.

• Like 1

I had surgery in early July, my first fill Aug. 15th, and still have no restriction whatsoever. I live in northern Ohio and called around to several band doctors within an hour's drive to me. I had many doctors refuse to give me a fill, since I had surgery with Dr. Ortiz/Dr. Martinez in Mexico. One office in Toledo would treat me, but charged-GET THIS--$175 consultation fee, $250 doctor's fee, and $1000 to St. Vincent's hospital for the xray!! WOW!

I went ahead and made an appointment to go back to Mexico for my second fill--leaving tomorrow am, actually. As I was getting things together this morning, I happened to check the postings on this site and came across Dr. Curry's message about doing fills for surgery-out-of-the country band patients. Cincinnati is about 4 hours drive away from me, but I thought, well, let me call just to see what they say...

I called Dr. Curry's office today, and spoke the the office manager, Tracy--who was lovely! She was very generous with her time and patience. I was THRILLED to find out that their fees were reasonable and acceptable, and look forward to using them in the future.

BE SURE AND POST AFTER YOU GET A FILL WITH DR CURRY. I'VE HEARD NOTHING BUT WONDERFUL THINGS ABOUT HIM. ONCE I START GETTING FILLS, I PLAN ON AT LEAST FLYING ONCE INTO OHIO AND GETTING A FILL DONE BY HIM.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning, I just returned from Mex. (band surgery on 9/25). Looking for fill doctor in midwest, MO, KS, or AR any suggestions? Does it get any easier these first few weeks? It's only been 5 days and but I feel hungry and weak. I'm drinking new whey , broth and clear liquids. thx

Hello all,

Dr. Trace Curry

330 Straight Street #401

Clifton Surgical

Cincinnati, Ohio 45219

i contacted your office but have not gotten a reply in regards to you taking mexico patients i was

told by your receptionist that you don't but i informed her that according to your post that you do

so what is up do you or not because i need a doctor.

i contacted your office but have not gotten a reply in regards to you taking mexico patients i was

told by your receptionist that you don't but i informed her that according to your post that you do

so what is up do you or not because i need a doctor.

I ALWAYS GET A REPLY FROM DR CURRY WITHIN A DAY USING HIS EMAIL ADDRESS:

Trace Curry

dr.c@thebanddoctor.com