Low BMI

Hello All, I am considering getting banded but don't know if my BMI is high enough to go through the whole experience. I am 5'4" tall and approximately 150 lbs. My weight does fluctuate a lot so I have been as much as 20 lbs higher and 20 lbs lower. The hunger always makes me gain weight back. I don't think I overeat, I just choose the wrong fattening types of foods. What do you guys think about it? The surgery has already been approved by Dr. O based on my overweight history.

Thanks for your help!

Being banded will not make you "choose the right foods" it is a tool to help you with your weight loss journey but it is not a "fix" that will make you not eat the wrong foods.

Thank you so much for saying that, it was EXACTLY what I needed to hear!!!!!

Hi Dieter,

One thing from a soon to be bandster ...

The band is a tool controlling the amount of food you eat, but not what you eat.

So even with the band you would be able to gain weight. It's all about your willpower and choices.

:lb11:

~Ute~

Hello All, I am considering getting banded but don't know if my BMI is high enough to go through the whole experience. I am 5'4" tall and approximately 150 lbs. My weight does fluctuate a lot so I have been as much as 20 lbs higher and 20 lbs lower. The hunger always makes me gain weight back. I don't think I overeat, I just choose the wrong fattening types of foods. What do you guys think about it? The surgery has already been approved by Dr. O based on my overweight history.

Thanks for your help!

The only bad thing about your weight and height is that your BMI is 25.9 and if you are doing it through insurance they probably won't cover it unless you have alot of health problems. So actually you are not that overweight. If I was a betting man an insurance company will not approve surgery for you, but if you are paying out of pocket thats different. I know you are tired of having your weight fluctuate. I think just a food adjustment would do you better. I tell you if I could avoid surgery I would, but with me being about 131 lbs. overweight if I have to get down to 169 but i think i can't go that low I really have no choice but surgery to protect my health. So good luck with whatever you choose to do. You could also try weightwatchers thats what I am doing now pre-surgery and it is a great plan.

BOY I DON'T KNOW. YOU'RE SO CLOSE TO "NORMAL" AND LIKE SOMEONE ELSE SAID, THE BANDS NOT GOING TO MAKE YA PICK THE RIGHT FOODS TO EAT.

BMI:

Underweight = <18.5

Normal weight = 18.5-24.9

Overweight = 25-29.9

Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

LET US KNOW WHAT YOU DECIDE :)

I don't think any of us are really qualified to say if you should or shouldn't get the band.. From my point of view seeing that we are the same height and you are at just about my goal weight I am going to say I don't think you NEED it... now if you have co-morbidities like diabetes then that is a different story!!

The band is a lot of money and a lot of work and a lot of hardship to only lose 20lbs!!! I mean for $8,000 you could hire a personal trainer and work out 4 days a week and lose the weight in a few months... If you're really concerned about the scale creeping back up on you then maybe it is the right choice- but you really just need to lay out the pros and cons for yourself to see if this is a life change you are ready to make!!

Only you can decide what you need.

In Ontario, we have to pay for Lapband surgery, no coverage at all and you I believe you need to have a BMI of 30 and over to be considered.

If you have had difficulty losing weight and keeping it off, you may be a candidate, however the band is a tool to help you make good food choices to lose weight and maintain weight loss....if you continue to make bad food choices, it won't work!!

Best of luck! Cathy