Oh, Dear!

I have a friend that was scheduled to have lapband surgery on May 9th. She has great insurance, so she is having it done in her home city. She has had to go to all the meetings required by that dr. and last night she attended the one with the dieticion and one of the doctor's assistants. Today she went for her appointment with her surgeon, and decided to change to the VGB surgery. She said it involved some stitches in the stomach and then a mesh ring that didn't require fills.

I am aghast, but I am not really sure what vgb is... It cannot be as safe as the lapband.

She is so happy for her upcoming procedure that I don't want to discourage her... she has 165 pounds to lose.

Anyone know what to do?

I just read about it, it's stomach stapling!! I thought they stopped that. There doesn't seem to be a need for it with the less invasive lap band.

I bet her doctor has never performed lap band, or at least very few. Some of the U.S. doctors prefer to continue to use the procedure they are most comfortable with regardless of newer and safer procedures. Or maybe he has not yet been trained for lap band, or hasn't performed very many.

If I were you, I would try to discourage her. Why get stitches and mesh if it isn't necessary? And if her doctor is talking her into that, that would concern me since stomach stapling is going out of favor with the newer and safer choices.

The best way to describe Vertical Gastric Banding is that it is like a combo of the lap-band and gastric-bypass.. Here are some pics that should help show the differences in the 3 types of bariatic surgery:

(A.) Stomach before bariatric surgery. (B.) Stomach after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass procedure; food is redirected to the middle portion of the small intestine, limiting absorption of calories.

1403_f1.jpg

(C.) Adjustable gastric banding (The Lap Band) involves inserting an inflatable ring, usually laparoscopically, which can be adjusted via a subcutaneous access point.

1403_f3.jpg

(D.) Vertical banded gastroplasty divides the stomach using staples and directs the food into a small pouch, limiting caloric intake.

1403_f2.jpg

As we know, many insurance companies will not cover weight loss surgery, but I have found that those that do cover WLS, cover procedures other than the lapband. I was told because it still is new (yeah right!).

I have a friend that was scheduled to have lapband surgery on May 9th. She has great insurance, so she is having it done in her home city. She has had to go to all the meetings required by that dr. and last night she attended the one with the dieticion and one of the doctor's assistants. Today she went for her appointment with her surgeon, and decided to change to the VGB surgery. She said it involved some stitches in the stomach and then a mesh ring that didn't require fills.

I am aghast, but I am not really sure what vgb is... It cannot be as safe as the lapband.

She is so happy for her upcoming procedure that I don't want to discourage her... she has 165 pounds to lose.

Anyone know what to do?

Wow, that looks invasive!!

In Ontario , gastric bypass and duodental switch is covered by our Provincial health care, but Lap Band is not! Go figure!

I could save 15K, but refuse to have my stomach cut or stapled. In addition, I wanted a slow weight loss to minimize loose skin.

All the best to your friend, I to have well over 100 lbs to lose.

Cathy

The best way to describe Vertical Gastric Banding is that it is like a combo of the lap-band and gastric-bypass.. Here are some pics that should help show the differences in the 3 types of bariatic surgery:

(A.) Stomach before bariatric surgery. (B.) Stomach after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass procedure; food is redirected to the middle portion of the small intestine, limiting absorption of calories.

1403_f1.jpg

(C.) Adjustable gastric banding (The Lap Band) involves inserting an inflatable ring, usually laparoscopically, which can be adjusted via a subcutaneous access point.

1403_f3.jpg

(D.) Vertical banded gastroplasty divides the stomach using staples and directs the food into a small pouch, limiting caloric intake.

1403_f2.jpg

Wow, Michelle! You are a doll for looking that up. I tried, but couldn't find any picture that made me understand better. Yours are perfect.

I will tactfully try to get her to change back to lapband, but one reason she loves me is that I am so supportive of her. :( Seems to be a breach of her trust almost.

Well, at least I am better informed now, but I cannot figure out why anyone would do that instead of lapband.

Thanks for all opinions.. you guys are why I log on here.

If you are going to try to push her over to the lap band then I would approach it from a standpoint of support... Tell her you have already been banded and you can support her and answer her questions but if she has the VGB you won't be able to share stories and support each other since she will have a whole separate set of complications and struggles during her post-op and recovery. The main thing is that you both get healthy and lose the weight!!

Anyone know what to do?

I MET A GAL AT THE OCC THAT WAS BANDED THE DAY AFTER I WAS, SHE'S AN RN. SEVERAL MONTHS AFTER BEING BANDED SHE COULDN'T FIND A LOCAL FILL DR SO SHE WENT BACK TO MX AND HAD THE VGB DONE BY ANOTHER SURGEON AND IS DOING WELL WITH IT.

WISHING ONLY THE BEST FOR YOUR FRIEND :)

I talked to her, and the insurance is the problem. She can get the vgb surgery for her 250 deductable. I would stop and think about that, too, but I have researched everything and would still choose the lapband for me. Her fills would be the other problem. She switched jobs so she could get insurance for the surgery, and as a new employee, taking time to get the fills would be uncomfortable for her. (I told her that fills would be separated by a reasonable amount of time, but she was still uncomfortable with it.

I do understand her feelings there, as when my husband had prostate cancer, he had to go in late every time he had radiation, and get off early when he had his assorted doctors' appointment.

Still, I think the decision is unfortunate, but I will just be as supportive as I have been and be happy that she can afford ANY type weight loss surgery.

Thank you all for your suggestions... I tried them all

I believe it's also known as "sleeve" where they leave part of the stomach kind of like banana shape. That was my first choice, until I read about all 3 surgeries, and found out that the VGB is the least one for long term success. They say it's too easy to stretch your stomach, and therefore, you tend to gain the weight back. If I can find out where I read this, I will let you know.

From this picture it looks like the Mini Gastric Bypass is a combonation of the Vertical banded gastroplasty and Gastric Bypass:

mini-gbs.gif

I posted an article about it in your other post!

Thanks as always, Michelle

Also, your online name cracks me up.. it implies that you are everyone's mother, but I am more than twice your age.. just an irony to me.

However, you give good advice just like any mother does.. are you sure you aren't 60?

All these bariatric surgeries work, if the patient follows the post-op care. There are VGB, gastric bypass, and lap band surgeries that ALL fail because the patient does something they shouldn't. There is nothing "wrong" with VGB surgery - or so I've read. Dr. Ortiz even acknowledges it in his book. But it is more invasive. Lap band obviously is the least invasive.

As a friend, I would be supportive of her decision to get any bariatric surgery - that's a big step - as we all know. She will have different post-op instructions than you - and maybe you can help her out with that - I understand the rules are more stringent.

Be proud that she's making the choice to lose weight - try not to judge her for not taking the same route as you. There are different surgeries to suit different people. The goal is to lose weight!

• 3 weeks later...

I was considering the "Mini Gastric Bypass" as well. My dr was not for it and would not give me a letter of recommendation.

Well, the good news was that my friend opted for lapband after all. She has called me twice to ask if nausea is normal.. that she has been nauseous since her surgery. I told her to call her doctor immediately.