hi, I'm going to be banded on the 14th, and just wondering how bad the scars are, and thanks for all the advice, it's all been so helpful. Linda

The scars are barely noticeable after a few months, I had 4 and 3 of them you can't even see now and my surgery was in December. The only visible one is over the port and it is only about 1/2 inch long and fading away now, looks like a cat scratch on my tummy!

You should see the shock on people's faces when I tell them they can "feel" my port! I love the shock value :yahoo: When I was down for my pre-op one of the nurses let me "feel" her port and I thought that was sooooo coool! It is a great ice-breaker at parties! <_<:D

Here's the best I can do on the scar pics, as part of my monthly picture documentation I have been doing bikini pics, they are pretty icky so I have edited out my face but here you go:

Day before surgery, 1 month post op scars and 2 months post op scars

gallery_11221_12_111376.jpg

Here's the best I can do on the scar pics, as part of my monthly picture documentation I have been doing bikini pics, they are pretty icky so I have edited out my face but here you go:

I think we should start our own swimsuit calendars! You know... now that we're all gettin' so darned HAWT!!!

My scars are more red now than they were in the beginning, but they are very small and look more like a fresh scratch than a scar.

Michelle, you have been hiding these from us!! You look great.

Thanks misty,

The bikini pics are super icky, I know people visit this site at work on their lunch breaks and stuff and I didn't want anyone to barf on their computers after seeing them, hopefully after another month (May 28th) I will be ready to show all of them... Of course I'll have to put a big disclaimer to warn away those with heart conditions, lol.

Speaking of scars, does anyone know if getting some sun on them make them fade faster or make them show up worse in the long run or no long term effects? I was banded on 3/26/08 so I am only 6 weeks post op.

I am trying to not look so pasty but I don't want to do inhibit the healing. I know, I know, we are supposed to be staying out of the sun ANYWAY...but...hey, a tan always makes you look thinner!

I found this at http://www.merz.com/health/dermatology/scars/treatment/

The proper way to treat scars

Scarred skin needs attention and must not be neglected. It is particularly important to protect it from external irritation and drying out.

Recent scars should not be exposed to extreme temperatures for around six months to a year. Exposure to intense sunlight and UV rays, sun beds, saunas and the cold can have a negative effect on scar development – especially in the case of sensitive and newly formed tissue. It can also affect tissue regeneration. Adverse changes in the color and appearance of the skin may also occur. When outdoors protect your scar by using a high-factor sunscreen product

Avoid wearing tight clothes or garments which can rub over scarred skin. Scar tissue is more sensitive than healthy skin. It may react to irritation of this kind with redness and hardening.

Particularly protect scars located near bones (e.g. on the elbow, shin or ankle). Be careful not to injure the scar tissue again (e.g. with hard edges on your shoes). Fresh scars can easily open when playing sports (e.g. if hit by a ball). This makes the chances of healing less favorable. Skin which is already damaged cannot regenerate as well as healthy skin.

Relatively smooth scars on the face, neck or neckline area can be covered temporarily using special make-up techniques (camouflage). Ask your doctor about this. Or get professional advice from a good beauty parlor.