Can someone describe a fill from Dr. ortiz office

Hi, I know he uses floro but does he check to make sure the band is in place, etc. Can you see things on a screen? Do you drink the barium first and then he checks or after to see if you can swallow? Just wondering about the process, etc. Thanks! :P

:D OK...this is how mine went. I didn't even have to get undressed! He cleaned my tummy with betadine where the port is. Then he positioned the c-arm (x-ray/fluoro machine) so he could see my port. He took a foot-long needle (well...that's what it looked like!) and said, "okay, little pinch" and put the needle in my tummy. I didn't even feel it! He positioned the needle over the port while watching it on the c-arm screen. Then he pushed it into the port. The only sensation I had was this wierd pressure that seemed to spread throughout my entire abdomen; just for a second. He drew out the little bit of air that was left in the port from surgery, then injected and withdrew saline a few times. He sat me up, repositioned the c-arm so he could see my band to check placement (it was okay!) I then drank a small amount of barium while we both watched it go through my banded area...cool! He was satisfied so he had me drink some water. That was fine so he removed the needle (again, no pain...or bleeding) and I was on my way back to the airport! Very easy.

Barbie

Thanks Barbie, was it Dr. Romero?

:D OK...this is how mine went. I didn't even have to get undressed! He cleaned my tummy with betadine where the port is. Then he positioned the c-arm (x-ray/fluoro machine) so he could see my port. He took a foot-long needle (well...that's what it looked like!) and said, "okay, little pinch" and put the needle in my tummy. I didn't even feel it! He positioned the needle over the port while watching it on the c-arm screen. Then he pushed it into the port. The only sensation I had was this wierd pressure that seemed to spread throughout my entire abdomen; just for a second. He drew out the little bit of air that was left in the port from surgery, then injected and withdrew saline a few times. He sat me up, repositioned the c-arm so he could see my band to check placement (it was okay!) I then drank a small amount of barium while we both watched it go through my banded area...cool! He was satisfied so he had me drink some water. That was fine so he removed the needle (again, no pain...or bleeding) and I was on my way back to the airport! Very easy.

Barbie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest marys

I think it can work both ways - i budgeted and really wanted my fills in Mexico but I know several other bandsters who go to a local doc. make sure the if you go local that the doctor is experienced and uses flouro so they know what's going on. most mexican docs are a little more agressive with fills and you will probablly need less of them whereas most u.s. docs tend to fill a little bit more each month until you get to a good restriction leve. base it on your financial situation, ability to travel to mexico, availability of local fill docs, etc. Fills are very important to your success so plan ahead.b

My first fill was done in TJ, Mexico by Dr. Romero who is one of Dr. Ortiz's colleagues. Since having the first fill, I found a place more convienent and close to home for my fills because airline fare has increased quite a bit with the fuel situation the way it is. Plus, to be perfectly honest ... a 2 hour drive to the airport, a 3 hour plane ride, and overnight stay in TJ then back home was just exhausting for a 15min procedure! The nearest Fill Center USA, which Dr. Ortiz is affilated with for aftercare here in the USA is just about as far away as TJ ... so I opted for a radiology group in Paris, TX which is 45 minutes from my itty bitty home town in Oklahoma. I've had two fills by the radiologists, but there is no aftercare. My primary care physician here in the USA provides all that for me. If going to TJ for your fills isn't economically feasible, I'd recommend you contact Lori or Carolyn with Dr. Ortiz's office and access their list of fill docs here in the USA. Now, they do not actually recommend these physicians ... they have just complied a listing of docs who are willing to do fills for patients banded in Mexico. It's still up to you to do your homework. Best wishes! Chelley

BTW Laura ... I saw where you've posted that you've since had a fill. Hope you are doing well. Best wishes on your journey to a healthier life. Keep us posted on how you are doing!

I had my fill on the 27th of July and it was a piece of cake. I decided to have my first fill in Mexico with Dr. Ortiz's office just because they did the surgery and I felt better with them. It was easy and Dr. Ramirez was so nice and explained everything as he did it. I had 1.8cc and the restriction after the 3 days of soft foods was amazing. I suggest that you be careful with what you eat. I was not expecting the difference between the band by itself and with a fill. Oh my gosh I could not eat hardly anything and I threw up after my 2nd day of true food. I was told something interesting. You can have soda and champange you just have to wait a minute before you drink it but it does not have to be flat. I have not tried it because I am proud of myself for 2 months with no soda.. Good luck to all

I got my first fill today and got to spend some time with Dr. Ortiz at the clinic - he is truly amazing - as is everyone there!

I got a 1.4 cc fill. I'm hoping that's enough. I was worried to have too much restriction.

I'll keep everyone posted!!

If you are debating whether or not its worth going back to OCC for your fills, especially that first one, I would say YES! Dr. Ortiz and everyone else there really do care how you are doing and want you to be successful on your journey.

HELP I got my first fill with Dr. R 2 weeks ago. at that time I asked him if it was ok to drink soda or champange. I was told that it was ok but that you should let it sit for a little bit to get rid of some of the fizz. I tried a coke and although it tasted awful which I was shocked because I use to drink 6 a day I did not feel anything bad happen but I am matron on honor at a wedding this weekend and would like to drink some champange with the toasts can anybody let me know if they were told this or have drank any thanks

My first fill was done in TJ, Mexico by Dr. Romero who is one of Dr. Ortiz's colleagues. Since having the first fill, I found a place more convienent and close to home for my fills because airline fare has increased quite a bit with the fuel situation the way it is. Plus, to be perfectly honest ... a 2 hour drive to the airport, a 3 hour plane ride, and overnight stay in TJ then back home was just exhausting for a 15min procedure! The nearest Fill Center USA, which Dr. Ortiz is affilated with for aftercare here in the USA is just about as far away as TJ ... so I opted for a radiology group in Paris, TX which is 45 minutes from my itty bitty home town in Oklahoma. I've had two fills by the radiologists, but there is no aftercare. My primary care physician here in the USA provides all that for me. If going to TJ for your fills isn't economically feasible, I'd recommend you contact Lori or Carolyn with Dr. Ortiz's office and access their list of fill docs here in the USA. Now, they do not actually recommend these physicians ... they have just complied a listing of docs who are willing to do fills for patients banded in Mexico. It's still up to you to do your homework. Best wishes! Chelley

BTW Laura ... I saw where you've posted that you've since had a fill. Hope you are doing well. Best wishes on your journey to a healthier life. Keep us posted on how you are doing!

How has your weight been doing? When did you have your surgery and when did you have your first fill? How far apart?

Chrissy- I would definitely stay away from carbonation - and it takes some time for the drink to become flat - not just a few minutes. I was extremely addicted to diet orange soda and i loved champagne on special occassions bbut i've let both go. i tried to flatten diet orange soda once and opened it and let it sit opened for 24 hours - it was totally flat and not near as good. I've been to many utah bandster dinners and several of the gals drink sodas but i won't risk it. one friend was in agony when she tried it and never tried it againa and it appears others can get away with it. One guy said his doc (not ortiz) told him you gotta live and one beer once in awhile won't kill him and he's had a few but never more than one at a time - again, dr. ortiz told me and dr. miranda too - no carbonation ever and that's what i'm sticking to. I think Dr. Romero told you flat is ok but again i think you need to wait more than a few minutes for it to be truly flat - now that said - i did too have two sips of champage once and one sip of soda on a hot drive and i was dying of thirst but i was so scared i didn't enjoy it all - so be careful ok? no one will notice if you pretend to sip that champagne at the wedding toast - they are much more interested in the bride and groom etc. take care, mary

OK... i called the office on this one and asked Dr. Romero. You can have a couple of sips of champagne during the wedding toast. You might want to ask for your glass to be poured early - so you can let some of the bubbles dissipate (and ALL the foam) -but remember.... just sips and just a very little!!

As a general rule... no carbonated beverages!!!!

Have a wonderful time at the wedding