Surgery with Dr.Ortiz July 13th

Hey all, I'm off to Mexico on the 12th, this Wed.I'm going alone so I'm a bit apprehensive.It is such a big step. Thought I had my insurance all worked out and found out that the company I work for denied to have my insurance cover any gastric surgery even though Cigna would have covered it. So...talked to Caroline and am going there on the 12th and flying back the 15th. Anyone else going to be there?Wish me luck! Eve

Good luck!! I will be there on Thursday, the 13th and have surgery on the 14th. I hope that we meet and can give each other some moral support. I had similar problems with my insurance, AETNA, and my employer, but I think all will work out for the best. See you soon, Sheila

Good luck!! I will be there on Thursday, the 13th and have surgery on the 14th. I hope that we meet and can give each other some moral support. I had similar problems with my insurance, AETNA, and my employer, but I think all will work out for the best. See you soon, Sheila

Ok..heres the deal. I get ALL whining rights on the 13th, and I'll give you exclusive whining rights on the 14th. I'm glad to know you will be there also.Will leave my room number at the desk! Eve

Eve,

I will see you in a couple of days. My best friend is coming with me...we are both nurses and friends for many years. She can force me to laugh and be brave in any situatiom. I will also leave my room number at the desk for you, and am happy that I will know someone there. How is the liquid diet going? I really thought it would be harder. But still have only lost 3 pounds, though my clothes feel looser. See you soon,

Sheila

Hey all, I'm off to Mexico on the 12th, this Wed.I'm going alone so I'm a bit apprehensive.It is such a big step. Thought I had my insurance all worked out and found out that the company I work for denied to have my insurance cover any gastric surgery even though Cigna would have covered it. So...talked to Caroline and am going there on the 12th and flying back the 15th. Anyone else going to be there?Wish me luck! Eve

Hey Eve,

You'll meet people!!! In the lobby in the morning before pickup, on the way to the clinic with Mrs. O and at the clnic in the waiting area. Lots of moral support!

Good Luck and call or email me if you have ANY questions!

Eve,

I will see you in a couple of days. My best friend is coming with me...we are both nurses and friends for many years. She can force me to laugh and be brave in any situatiom. I will also leave my room number at the desk for you, and am happy that I will know someone there. How is the liquid diet going? I really thought it would be harder. But still have only lost 3 pounds, though my clothes feel looser. See you soon,

Sheila

I was actually a last minute appointment as I had the crazy situation here with my insurance and since I teach I need to get my sx done before the kids are back in school. I still have lost 4 lbs since my weigh in at the bariatric center from my nerves I guess.Its getting close! I'll get packed today...

I was actually a last minute appointment as I had the crazy situation here with my insurance and since I teach I need to get my sx done before the kids are back in school. I still have lost 4 lbs since my weigh in at the bariatric center from my nerves I guess.Its getting close! I'll get packed today...

:) Eve and Rose my blessing will be with both of you. Enjoy your trip and new friendship visits. Keep us posted and remember things will be just fine. Sylvia

Hi Eve, I'm going on the 17th- also going alone. Today was the first apprehension I have felt so let me know all about your experience as soon as you can write

I am getting very nervous. Another day without weight loss. I wrote to Dr. Miranda about my lack of weight loss and she said that "you will have the surgery when you lose the weight." I just wrote back and asked if there is a chance that I might not have the surgery, since I have not lost the 10 pounds. Has anyone had similiar trouble? I am flying in from NJ and have made many plans...a friend to come with me, time off from work. Does anyone have any advice?

Sheila

I am getting very nervous. Another day without weight loss. I wrote to Dr. Miranda about my lack of weight loss and she said that "you will have the surgery when you lose the weight." I just wrote back and asked if there is a chance that I might not have the surgery, since I have not lost the 10 pounds. Has anyone had similiar trouble? I am flying in from NJ and have made many plans...a friend to come with me, time off from work. Does anyone have any advice?

Sheila

For a smile: :lol: Ya know, I really don't understand the problem with not losing weight before surgery...IF we could lose weight that easily, we wouldn't be getting banded now would we? It's like my aerobis instructor said to wear loose clothing to our aerobics class---well, IF I had loose clothing---I wouldn't be needing to go to aerobics!!! LOL

Good Luck!

WE can do this!!!

Karen MT from Kentucky

being banded 7/25/06

9 more days!!!

There are some very good reasons they are soooooo strict about you loosing weight before surgery. The most important reason is that they must delicately pull back your liver during the surgery. The liver is a very vascular organ and is fatty and soft in large people. When you go on the crash diet of salad greens and protien shakes, you loose water weight rapidly and this helps shrink your liver and make it more firm so that it is not damaged in surgery. When you loose the weight and your liver shrinks it actually makes the band placement go much more smoothly for the surgeon and is safer for you!

The second reason they want to see you loose the weight pre-op is to see what level of committment you have to making this work. If you can't commit to a diet for a few days pre-op then what chances do you have of following the post-op diet for the rest of your life? The band is a TOOL. You can still overeat with band and risk your health. Someone described the band as a gentle reminder ... if you ignore that gentle reminder then there are consequences to your overeating and I'm not just talking about a little vomit... I'm talking about serious complications like band slipage.

There are some very good reasons they are soooooo strict about you loosing weight before surgery. The most important reason is that they must delicately pull back your liver during the surgery. The liver is a very vascular organ and is fatty and soft in large people. When you go on the crash diet of salad greens and protien shakes, you loose water weight rapidly and this helps shrink your liver and make it more firm so that it is not damaged in surgery. When you loose the weight and your liver shrinks it actually makes the band placement go much more smoothly for the surgeon and is safer for you!

The second reason they want to see you loose the weight pre-op is to see what level of committment you have to making this work. If you can't commit to a diet for a few days pre-op then what chances do you have of following the post-op diet for the rest of your life? The band is a TOOL. You can still overeat with band and risk your health. Someone described the band as a gentle reminder ... if you ignore that gentle reminder then there are consequences to your overeating and I'm not just talking about a little vomit... I'm talking about serious complications like band slipage.

:(I am "only" a 35.1 BMI, and Dr. Ortiz's pre-op directions only say that you need to go on a pre-op diet if you are 300> lbs. I haven't been dieting...and I"m getting banded in 8 days! Do you think I should??? I"ve just been eating normal, and enjoying some things before I won't be able to anymore.

:ph34r:

Karen MT from Kentucky

2B Banded in TJ by Ortiz 7/25/06

Karen,

I was banded on May 2. The only thing that I haven't been able to eat is bread or tortillas. Everything else seems to be fine. Granted, everything else.....really means...... a few bites of everything else. A few bites and you're full. You can feel the food backing up in your throat. You'll realize that when you go to a restuarant with your family.....you can't order your own plate. Just nibble off of everyone elses. And here's another tip.....when they tell you to "Chew to Goo" that doesn't mean put a big bite of enchilada in your mouth and chew chew chew and swallow all of that big ole bite at once. You need to chew really good and kind of pool your food like a chipmunk and swallow a tiny bit at a time....wait a few seconds and swallow a tiny bit more. Otherwise, just put really small amouts on your fork and eat really slowly.

And the part about not drinking right after eating, be really careful with this. I have times when I feel the food is going down fine....maybe I've had 5 or 6 bites and I try to swig some soda, or even tea. I feel like a human bottle rocket. I must race to the nearest toilet and puke. So, when being seated at a restuarant, always sit close to the restroom. I usually puke twice during our trips to restuarants. Quite embarrassing when the restroom is full of people.

Best of luck. I'm 14 lbs down and counting.

Jennifer

:(I am "only" a 35.1 BMI, and Dr. Ortiz's pre-op directions only say that you need to go on a pre-op diet if you are 300> lbs. I haven't been dieting...and I"m getting banded in 8 days! Do you think I should??? I"ve just been eating normal, and enjoying some things before I won't be able to anymore.

Karen MT from Kentucky

Karen MT from Kentucky

Hi Karen,

email me at the address below and I'll get you in touch with Dr. Miranda!

:oname='JenniferA' date='Jul 17 2006, 05:51 PM' post='2952']

Hi there Jennifer! Just a gentle reminder that you are NEVER allowed to drink soda EVER or you can cause your band to slip. The carbonation may be creating that effect. No bubbles allowed :( ! Eve

Karen,

I was banded on May 2. The only thing that I haven't been able to eat is bread or tortillas. Everything else seems to be fine. Granted, everything else.....really means...... a few bites of everything else. A few bites and you're full. You can feel the food backing up in your throat. You'll realize that when you go to a restuarant with your family.....you can't order your own plate. Just nibble off of everyone elses. And here's another tip.....when they tell you to "Chew to Goo" that doesn't mean put a big bite of enchilada in your mouth and chew chew chew and swallow all of that big ole bite at once. You need to chew really good and kind of pool your food like a chipmunk and swallow a tiny bit at a time....wait a few seconds and swallow a tiny bit more. Otherwise, just put really small amouts on your fork and eat really slowly.

And the part about not drinking right after eating, be really careful with this. I have times when I feel the food is going down fine....maybe I've had 5 or 6 bites and I try to swig some soda, or even tea. I feel like a human bottle rocket. I must race to the nearest toilet and puke. So, when being seated at a restuarant, always sit close to the restroom. I usually puke twice during our trips to restuarants. Quite embarrassing when the restroom is full of people.

Best of luck. I'm 14 lbs down and counting.

Jennifer

I was told by Scripps Hospital that soda was okay. I don't actually drink soda anyway cuz carbonation makes my tummy rumbly (IBS), but they said once the band is healed in place, you should be okay with soda - it doesn't really expand the pouch or anything, though you may experience gas after :-D

I was told by Scripps Hospital that soda was okay. I don't actually drink soda anyway cuz carbonation makes my tummy rumbly (IBS), but they said once the band is healed in place, you should be okay with soda - it doesn't really expand the pouch or anything, though you may experience gas after :-D

PLEASE READ WHAT INAMED HAS TO SAY, PAGE 13 "DRINKS"?:

http://www.allerganandinamed.com/pdf/healt...atient_Book.pdf

ok.... imagine me saying this in a Joan Crawford voice from Mommie Dearest "no carbonated beverages.... everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

Please take Dr. Miranda's advice... no more carbonated beverages. Is a small price to pay for your health. For some people it might not be a problem, but I don't think its a risk worth taking!