New Band: AP band

Found this info on another site, FYI

Interesting info about AP bands

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this info on the 'net and thought I'd share it:

The "skinny" on the AP:

Allergan/Inamed has a new band in the US called the AP band.

AP stands for Advanced Platform.

There are a couple of differences in this band and the previous ones:

1. Cuff - the cuff on the AP band is 360 degrees around, as opposed to about 300 degrees on the prior bands (there was no cuff around the buckle on the old ones)

2. Cuff length - the cuff on the AP band is 18mm longer/taller than on the previous bands, so the surface area in contact with the stomach is much greater, hopefully increasing the speed of weight loss and maybe reducing the risk of slips

3. Cuff volume - the AP small holds 10cc, the AP large holds 14cc

Note that we do not believe that AP patients will lose MORE weight, just possibly faster. So those of you with the older models, it would definitely not be to your benefit to think about having your band swapped out!

·They are either APS (small, 10cc) or APL (large, 14cc).

·They are considered by some to be "the next generation in AGBs".

·They are considered less likely to cause blockage or obstruction than other AGP types.

·They are considered less likely to slip than other AGP types.

·They are considered to be less likely to cause band erosion than other AGP types.

·Like the VG band it is "Omniform" technology - i.e. the balloon has ribs or baffles and the band itself is curved.

·The AP has more of a 360 inflation around the stomach as opposed to the 10cm or 9.75cm (4cc) bands, which have more like 260 or 280 degrees inflation (the rest being the buckle), and the VG which has more like 280 or 300. It is understood that this was simply an upgrade to the existing band to make it easier and less traumatic to remove.

·The silicone material is much softer than other AGP types.

·They are more concentric (rounded) when inflated than other AGB types.

·The balloon is pleated to 'grip' the stomach better.

·The balloon goes all the way around the inner surface of the band, rather than missing a piece at the locking mechanism.

·The balloon is wider.

·They have an easier release mechanism to remove the band if need be.

·They have the locking mechanism isolated from the stomach.

·AP type bands have been FDA approved for the US, but will not be available until the summer at the earliest.

·We understand that there are NO plans at this time to discontinue any of the bands Allergan already makes. They still plan to manufacture and offer the 10cm and the 9.75cm (the 4cc) bands as well as the VG band.

·new : AP ( Advanced Platform )

·APS ( small)

·APL ( large )

I asked the same thing before being banded.....per Lori, OCC is not using the AP band. From the commercials I've seen, the AP band is only availiable in the US...

Thanks for the information.

Jim,

I assume your surgery date is June 16th. What date do you head home? I will be arriving on the 18th for my June 19th surgery. Maybe we will get the chance to run into each other there.

I am going to start the pre op diet now as it can only make things easier on the Docs. I just got all my paperwork faxed in and made my plane reservations.

Jim,

I assume your surgery date is June 16th. What date do you head home? I will be arriving on the 18th for my June 19th surgery. Maybe we will get the chance to run into each other there.

I am going to start the pre op diet now as it can only make things easier on the Docs. I just got all my paperwork faxed in and made my plane reservations.

We are arriving June 15th for June 16th surgery and flying back June 18 @ 11:25 am .

Very cool! do you have a link to the original article? I thought there might be some pictures to help explain all the new changes!!

Wow. You look great fabulous picture. Sorry for the delayed response. No I don't have the link to the original article. I just copied and pasted what was posted on another site.