Major Mucus coming up

Does anyone else have this trouble??? Ever since having my first fill a month ago, I have had some serious mucus coming up. It first feels like a burp coming up and then my mouth fills up with nasty mucus. Once this starts, I need to be by a toilet or trash can because it continues for about 20 more burps.

Please tell me this is common...........yes/no???

I'm not banded yet, but a lot of people talk about PBing, which is when you swallow something that won't go through the band. It gets covered in a pinkish mucus and then comes back up again.

Try taking smaller bites, chewing a LOT, and feeling for your "soft stop" signals. This is what tells you when to stop eating. I've heard people mention pain in the left shoulder, a hiccup/burp combo, and runny nose as being soft stop signals.

If you go beyond that, eat too large of bites, or just too fast, you may end up PBing.

Jennifer - This has happened to me this week after my 2nd fill. I was trying to drink a slim fast for breakfast and I guess I just took too big a sip toward the end of the 8oz shake I'd made from powder. Before I knew it my burp was actually slim fast comming back up :blink: ... no pain.. just slime. I immediately stopped, walked around and thank goodness it hasn't happened again. However, Mom and Sister who were banded same day I was have both had the hard stop ... pain the chest with heaving because they have eaten too much or something that didn't want to pass through the band. Just hearing about it is enough to make me not wanna do it!!! Needless to say neither of them have repeated the experience! Chelley

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sounds like you are doing what we call "sliming". It is when the food is either going down to fast or not chewed properly. In order for the food to be passed through the stoma for digestion the stomach and esophagus produce lubrication in mass amounts (ie slime). It is your body trying to get the food down naturally. The slime builds and builds and only has two options. 1. It finally pushed the stuck food away or through or 2. it comes up in a slimey stringy grotesque mess

Try stretching up the sky (several times). Hands above the head and fingertips reaching to the ceiling and on tippy toes, relax, then do it again. Somewhat will relax you and help the food pass (at least this works for me).