How's the Hotel (Camino Real)?

Hello,

I have only heard that the hotel is nice but what is nice. Does 5 star in Mexico mean the same as 5 Star in the US?

Also, how far is the Hotel from the Airport, OCC Center and Shopping?

And off the topic is Mrs. Ortiz Mr. Ortiz's wife or mother she seems older then him from their photos?

Yes I know he looks GOOD!

It's his mother, and Lori said the hotel is a few minutes from the center and from what I hear the airport is close to the border, a shopping center across the street for the hotel.

Denise

The OCC is very close to the border, but the airport is actually quite a ways from the border. They pick you up in a van and the drive to the OCC is about 30 minutes or more depending on traffic. The new hotel is much closer to OCC but doesn't look like much from the outside. We stayed at Lucerna last week and it was nice on the outside and Super 8 Motelish in the rooms.

I was just at the OCC this past week. I stayed at the Camino Real hotel to evaluate the service and accommodations for the OCC. The OCC and Dr. Ortiz are very concerned with the opinions of the patients. Are there ways to improve your stay while in Tijuana? You never know till you try something new or different. I know their decision will be made on which hotel best serves the patients. I looked for that the most.

I was just at the OCC this past week. I stayed at the Camino Real hotel to evaluate the service and accommodations for the OCC. The OCC and Dr. Ortiz are very concerned with the opinions of the patients. Are there ways to improve your stay while in Tijuana? You never know till you try something new or different. I know their decision will be made on which hotel best serves the patients. I looked for that the most.

Ok, so you stayed there, whats the verdict? You didn't say. Plus weren't you going to ask the staff about joining us for the get-together in Vegas or San Diego. What did they say?

Do you happen to know if the construction is over at Lucerna?

So many questions, hope I don't tire you out, LOL!!

OK,so what I was told was, it was just a big yellow box. No pool, but close to the occ. I met someone who was there and only stayed 1 night before they moved to the Lucerna. I am here for my fill and I am staying at the Lucerna. I would not call it construction, more like a remodel of rooms from what I can tell. No interuption for me, no mess to get around, actually, nothing in sight.

love the Lucerna,

reneej

So are the pictures not accurate? It looks fancy from them. What should I do I'm going june 9th. I want to stay at the best one. Did the people that moved have any problems when they requested to move, did they have to pay extra to be moved? Will this be resolved soon?

Denise

Well I guess I don't know anymore then I did. Other then 5 star means nothing. What is a big yellow box Camino or Lucerna because Camino does have a pool from what I have seen on their web site. I really don't know what Dolittle thought about the hotel GOOD or BAD? It sounds like they both may not be as nice as I thought. Also do you go stright from the airport to the hotel or to the OCC I have heard both. I think I would like to get checked into the hotel befor I went anywhere else.

Janell

Ok, so you stayed there, whats the verdict? You didn't say. Plus weren't you going to ask the staff about joining us for the get-together in Vegas or San Diego. What did they say?

Do you happen to know if the construction is over at Lucerna?

So many questions, hope I don't tire you out, LOL!!

I haven't been officially told what the verdict is.. I was there to critique the Camino. I didn't know of any construction going on at the Lucerna. But,, then,, I didn't stay there this time. I'll check that out and see what's going on at the Lucerna. With all what was going on the day I was there,, to be honest,, I didn't have time to talk to Dr. O about the get together,, I only got to chat with him in between one surgery,, but I will talk to him this week about the get together.. OK,, I know,, I get a spanking for that.

I haven't been officially told what the verdict is.. I was there to critique the Camino. I didn't know of any construction going on at the Lucerna. But,, then,, I didn't stay there this time. I'll check that out and see what's going on at the Lucerna. With all what was going on the day I was there,, to be honest,, I didn't have time to talk to Dr. O about the get together,, I only got to chat with him in between one surgery,, but I will talk to him this week about the get together.. OK,, I know,, I get a spanking for that.

But what do YOU think of the new hotel? Is there a reason you aren't saying and I should shut up?

Hmmm.... I read somewhere that the Camino does not have internet service available.

I had planned to just "go with the flow" and take whatever hotel I was assigned to; but I've got to have internet. Both my husband and I will want to stay in touch with work.

I've emailed Carolyn and will see what she says.

(Surgery date 5/30)

Tanya

Hello,

I was banded this week on Monday 5/12/08. I thought I was going to the Lucerna, but when we were picked up from the airport we were taken to the Camino. I didn't argue, I think there was one patient that did move, she said it was really gross and smelled bad to her. I really didn't know what to expect, just all the comments that I had read about the Lucerna. The resturaunts and Lobby are nice. The Hotel itself is clean, there were some strong odors, but to me it smelled more like the smell coming from the food. The rooms were ok. No I don't think its anywhere comparable to a 5 star in the US, but I have never stayed at one of those either.

They do have internet service, but you have to pay a fee to use them. We didn't find a pool. There is a excercise room. The shopping Mall is directly across the street. I don't know how well they can communicate at the Lucerna, but the communication was very poor at the Camino Real. When we checked out @ 4am to go back to the airport, all the charges were in spanish and the guy checking us out couldn't explain the charges, so I'm not sure what we were charged for.

At the Lucerna they all speak English pretty well. They are so used to Dr. Ortiz patients and it was even on the bill! The restaurant knows exactly what we are supposed to eat post banding and will let you know, because it's not on the menu.

If I go back for my fill, I would only stay there.

Jena

As far as I know,, both hotels are OK,, each one has its pro's and con's. I don't know for sure,, but I think they just wanted to try out the Camino. That's all there is to the story. I hadn't heard any complaints about either of them,, but I don't hear that stuff,, I'm just a volunteer moderator here at the forum. If there's any complaints,, I read them here at the forum like you. If I was a betting person,, I'd think a surgery patient would be OK with either of them.

Jenell,

Whan are you schedule to have youre surgery.

Denise

Hi Denice,

My surgery is on June 27th. Do you have a date yet?

I still don't fell sure about either of the hotels. At this point I'm not really sure that Dolittle stayed at either hotel. He does'nt have anything to say about either of them that really seem to help me feel better about them.

I'm not quit sure whats going on there. :-?

Janell

We met a cute and spunky to-be-bandster today. When she booked her surgery recently, she was told that they switched to the Lucerna :):)

How interesting is that?

Oh I love Daniel at the front desk of the Lucerna.

Hi Denice,

I still don't fell sure about either of the hotels. At this point I'm not really sure that Dolittle stayed at either hotel. He does'nt have anything to say about either of them that really seem to help me feel better about them.

Janell

Hi Denice,

Janell

Yes,, I've stayed at both hotels,, like I said,, their both good hotels,, I think the only differences are that the Camino is 3 blocks closer to the OCC. That's not that big of deal. The Camino does have internet,, but it will cost you $4 for an hour. The Lucerna,, its free and located just off the Lobby. The Lucerna has a pool,, the Camino doesn't. Alot of patients like the Lucerna because the staff is real nice and had been dealing The OCC patients for a long time. Returning patients get to know the staff,, people like to see the same faces. To me,, a hotel room is like a cruise ship cabin,, How long are you really in the room. I'm so busy when I'm there, I don't see the room that much. I don't think either of them will be a bad experiance for anyone staying there. If I was to say which hotel is better than the other, it would be a toss up. If I was to say which hotel has a personality,, it would be the Lucerna. I think the staff at the Lucerna is more personal. Now, Bandgroupie heard that they have made a decision to use the Lucerna,, You'll be fine staying there. I think it goes with the whole banding experience,, You come to Tijuana to be banded, you stay at the Lucerna,, everyone at the OCC is very nice and helpful,, Dr. Ortiz is the "Bomb", the whole experience is something your going to remember the rest of your life. And with the band inside of you constantly reminding you of your banding,, So in a way,, everytime you eat,, your going to be reminded of this whole experience. I don't know why the OCC was trying the Camino,, maybe there's something only they know about and we don't,, maybe the Lucerna was going to raise their rates and needed a reminder of how much business the OCC was giving them,, but I can say that the OCC isn't the only medical clinic in TJ that was using them. Who knows??? But you'll like the Lucerna,, I don't think anyone would have any complaints with either.

Yes,, I've stayed at both hotels,, like I said,, their both good hotels,, I think the only differences are that the Camino is 3 blocks closer to the OCC. That's not that big of deal. The Camino does have internet,, but it will cost you $4 for an hour. The Lucerna,, its free and located just off the Lobby. The Lucerna has a pool,, the Camino doesn't. Alot of patients like the Lucerna because the staff is real nice and had been dealing The OCC patients for a long time. Returning patients get to know the staff,, people like to see the same faces. To me,, a hotel room is like a cruise ship cabin,, How long are you really in the room. I'm so busy when I'm there, I don't see the room that much. I don't think either of them will be a bad experiance for anyone staying there. If I was to say which hotel is better than the other, it would be a toss up. If I was to say which hotel has a personality,, it would be the Lucerna. I think the staff at the Lucerna is more personal. Now, Bandgroupie heard that they have made a decision to use the Lucerna,, You'll be fine staying there. I think it goes with the whole banding experience,, You come to Tijuana to be banded, you stay at the Lucerna,, everyone at the OCC is very nice and helpful,, Dr. Ortiz is the "Bomb", the whole experience is something your going to remember the rest of your life. And with the band inside of you constantly reminding you of your banding,, So in a way,, everytime you eat,, your going to be reminded of this whole experience. I don't know why the OCC was trying the Camino,, maybe there's something only they know about and we don't,, maybe the Lucerna was going to raise their rates and needed a reminder of how much business the OCC was giving them,, but I can say that the OCC isn't the only medical clinic in TJ that was using them. Who knows??? But you'll like the Lucerna,, I don't think anyone would have any complaints with either.

Thank You.

That's what I wanted to hear. Just how you felt. =D>

Janell

Hi Denice,

Janell

Hi Janell

My surgery is on June 10th I arrive on June 9th. I too was very confussed about the hotel thing but I left it Lori's hands hopeing that by the time I arrived the issue is resolved. I think that Im going to call Lori on Monday. That way I can get a answer from the Office. I'll let you know what I hear.

Denise