Back on track but frustrated!

karenlynn79

I was banded a while ago (year and a half) and didn't get fills until 6 months post-op. At that time I had great restriction and lost 30 pounds in 3 months and was really happy. Then.... we decided to have a baby. She is now 2 months old and an angel. Anyway, I had a fill over 4 weeks ago. I have had/have great restriction, about what I had last year when I was losing. But, I am not losing much. Eating hardly anything it seems, around 1000 calories a day. Getting enough protein, not starving all day etc... Can't workout hard yet (had a cesarean) but I do walk and do some minor pilates moves. Any suggestions? I did talk to Dr. Miranda and she suggested a specific diet, but I am a super picky eater and have not followed it, BUT I am having less or similar calories that she suggested, so that shouldn't matter!

Just not sure what to do! I definitely don't need a fill.

Karen

I'm not a nutritionist, but I would say that what you're eating does matter rather than just the calories. For instance I've heard switching from coffee to green tea can jump start a few lbs....and adding in my veggies.

I'm sure this is really frustrating for you though. Hang in there!

Up your calories to 1200 a day. You can do this by just drinking a yogurt smoothie or having something else. For whatever reason, to get optimum weight loss 1200 calories is the magic number. I know I lose more eating 1200-1500 calories than I do 800-100.

Unless you are nursing, then you are going to need a lot more calories!

Jena

I have thought that I maybe am getting too few calories (but that never seems to make sense). And I am not nursing! Yikes I know I'd need way more. I do eat healthfully though, not getting 1000 calories through Herseys bars.... I will try and add more yogurt or maybe a cup of milk daily. thnx

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been banded as long as you have but I am 12 days post op and was frustrated that everyone was losing way more than I was (I was only down 1.5 lbs. from pre-op weight). I finally added more calories to my diet and magically 2 lbs. came off almost immediately. That day I was at 1470 calories. Prior to that I was eating around 700 - 1000. Not having enough really does make you stop losing. If I hadn't experienced it myself I wouldn't have believed it.

Cheryl

Cheryl,

Glad to hear it! I know, last week I ate little due to my baby going through painful constipation (fun!) but this week I've eaten more like 1300 per day, enjoying a glass of hot choc at night, and I've lost 3 lbs since last weekend. Good luck! Have fun after your fills! It's tough learning what you can and can't have but once you do, it's great.

Karen

I haven't been banded as long as you have but I am 12 days post op and was frustrated that everyone was losing way more than I was (I was only down 1.5 lbs. from pre-op weight). I finally added more calories to my diet and magically 2 lbs. came off almost immediately. That day I was at 1470 calories. Prior to that I was eating around 700 - 1000. Not having enough really does make you stop losing. If I hadn't experienced it myself I wouldn't have believed it.

Cheryl

I believe that the body goes into starvation mode where it starts to attack muscle mass and stores it's precious fats. It makes sense to me that you would have to eat 1200 cals a day (varies person to person no doubt) to keep the body from doing what it's naturally programmed to do to protect itself. Also, you may be surprised, one day you'll step on the scale and see a major weight loss that you didn't expect to see after "not" losing for a period of time. I'm not sure why that happens but I do know it does.