Confused a little...

Sorry for asking what I think is a stupid question, but I keep trying to figure this out. Okay .. here goes... I understand that the band is there so we now have a way smaller stomach so we feel full faster. But what confuses me is... we are told to chew, chew, chew everything really well, so it doesn't get stuck in the band. Okay.. so if it's supposed to sit in my "new stomach" why am I wanting it to go down? If it goes down, am I not going to be able to eat as much as I used to?? If I don't chew it as well, won't it stay on top of the band, and that's what will fill my new stomach up? Does this make any sense? Thanks for your replies in advance. Anita

You'd be shocked at how small the hole going through the band is, I've heard once you're filled it's between the size of a dime and a nickle (the standard un-banded sized opening is the size of a sillver dollar) {that may not mean alot to you Canadians, lol eh?} your ideal "bandster bite" is the size of the eraser on a pencil or the size of a pea. So if you imagine a pipe the size of a nickle you'll find that if you stack up enough pea's (smashed or not) that they will still back up into the band (this is when you get the feeling of fullness).

I have felt full by eating mashed potatoes which are already almost liquid (not a lot of chewing required) so if those are able to stop up the band (in a good, feeling full way) then small bites of anything chewed to mush would also stop up the band. This is also why it's important not to drink with meal, the liquid would just wash the mushed food through the band making you feel hungry sooner!

So it sounds like to me, the minute your chewed food hits that new stomach, you know it. Well I don't. As a matter of fact I am not sure I have ever felt it. :wacko: What's up with that.

Hey anita, you and dr. o were made for each other! especially in that picture!

reneej

That helps Michelle thanks. I think I understand. And oh... our Canadian Silver Dollar, eh, .... is worth more today than your yankie dollar honey. lol

That helps Michelle thanks. I think I understand. And oh... our Canadian Silver Dollar, eh, .... is worth more today than your yankie dollar honey. lol

Lol, go ahead rub it in... I was just talking more about size reference I tried to find a pic with actual sized money but couldn't...

Hi Anita!

This is to help explain the size of the band at it's smallest possible opening and biggest possible opening. I went to a local seminar here in Everett before getting banded and during the seminar two types of band were passed around. The 4cc (which is what I have) and the 10cc (which I believe they refer to as the VG band). Inflated fully both bands choked my thumb (size of a pea). Deflated at its biggest opening I can stick 3 of my middle fingers in with ease (size of a quarter). I sort of think of our esophagus as a pipeline now. Before being banded our expandable esophagus pipe accommodated big chunks of food and letting all of what we can chow down slip right on to our stomachs. I know I was probably able to do that in 5 mins or less if I was super hungry but would by then be overstuffed in 20 mins with the continued ungated stomach (which is by the way how long it takes our stomach to send a signal to our brain that we are full).

Having food pass through a gate (our band) slows the food entering our stomachs therefore not enabling us to overstuff our stomachs in 5 mins but actually in 20 mins time after only about a cup of food (hopefully feeling full by then). The chewing and chewing part, think of how our disposal works in the kitchen sink. We turn it on to make things pass through that are too big and when the water won't go down fast enough. Big chunks can only pass through the pipe if it is a small enough size. Our teeth chewing up food is our disposal mechanism. What would make it ideal is that our human disposal would be located right there just above the band where we can grind up stuff that gets stuck! But unfortunately if it doesn't fit it will come up we PB!! I hope this makes some sense.. it's a weird explanation but it makes sense to me. Not sure if I am correct so please anyone out there let me know if it's ever been explained this way to you or if what I am thinking is even right.

Now I pose a different question.

Since I was filled for the second time today, my question is, how many times do we get poked with a needle in our port before the port area will leak or malfunction? I'm sure I can look this up but I'm wondering since I never really thought about it before. I've seen the band, tubing, port, the whole implant and held it in my hand but never thought about how that port will continue to work for years to come with repeated needle poking? Anyone had this answered by someone before? I know I feel silly asking but I've been thinking about it since this afternoon. I'll probably be emailing Dr. Romero and Kitty at NWFills about this now since I'm obsessing again.

Thanks in advance to those who can offer an explanation!

Hanna

Thank you so much Hanna, that was excellent. Definitely puts it more into perspective. I knew their had to be an explanation, but I had no idea what it is. Anita

Hi Anita!

This is to help explain the size of the band at it's smallest possible opening and biggest possible opening. I went to a local seminar here in Everett before getting banded and during the seminar two types of band were passed around. The 4cc (which is what I have) and the 10cc (which I believe they refer to as the VG band). Inflated fully both bands choked my thumb (size of a pea). Deflated at its biggest opening I can stick 3 of my middle fingers in with ease (size of a quarter). I sort of think of our esophagus as a pipeline now. Before being banded our expandable esophagus pipe accommodated big chunks of food and letting all of what we can chow down slip right on to our stomachs. I know I was probably able to do that in 5 mins or less if I was super hungry but would by then be overstuffed in 20 mins with the continued ungated stomach (which is by the way how long it takes our stomach to send a signal to our brain that we are full).

Having food pass through a gate (our band) slows the food entering our stomachs therefore not enabling us to overstuff our stomachs in 5 mins but actually in 20 mins time after only about a cup of food (hopefully feeling full by then). The chewing and chewing part, think of how our disposal works in the kitchen sink. We turn it on to make things pass through that are too big and when the water won't go down fast enough. Big chunks can only pass through the pipe if it is a small enough size. Our teeth chewing up food is our disposal mechanism. What would make it ideal is that our human disposal would be located right there just above the band where we can grind up stuff that gets stuck! But unfortunately if it doesn't fit it will come up we PB!! I hope this makes some sense.. it's a weird explanation but it makes sense to me. Not sure if I am correct so please anyone out there let me know if it's ever been explained this way to you or if what I am thinking is even right.

Now I pose a different question.

Since I was filled for the second time today, my question is, how many times do we get poked with a needle in our port before the port area will leak or malfunction? I'm sure I can look this up but I'm wondering since I never really thought about it before. I've seen the band, tubing, port, the whole implant and held it in my hand but never thought about how that port will continue to work for years to come with repeated needle poking? Anyone had this answered by someone before? I know I feel silly asking but I've been thinking about it since this afternoon. I'll probably be emailing Dr. Romero and Kitty at NWFills about this now since I'm obsessing again.

Thanks in advance to those who can offer an explanation!

Hanna

The port is designed to be poked hundreds of times and still be OK,, it's the tube that can't handle being poked. If a doctor or fill tech misses the port and hits a tube,, you'll have a leak. So, normally an average patient would require maybe 4 to 6 fills in a year,, after that,, fills should taper way off. Once you hit a "sweet spot" you might not have a fill or unfill for a long time. I might be a good example,, I've had my band since March 1st 2007,, I've had 4 fills total,, the last one was in December. I just got back from TJ and the OCC and I did a barium swallow and Dr. Romero said restriction was good and I didn't need to have my band adjusted. Those patients that require fills and unfills constantly are in my opinion, playing games. I just don't see why patients would need to keep filling or unfilling their band. I know that the girls may have an issue with a certain time of the month, but if you get a little tighter for a week,, I'm sure you can manage to adjust your eating to work around that and not run to a fill doctor to add or remove saline on a monthy schedule. I think making the eating adjustment would be easier,, on you,, your band and your wallet.

I was also wondering some people already have 3.0cc in a 4cc band in just a couple of fills. I can't remember who it is but they had there band put in Feb 08 and already have 3.0 cc in their band. This doesn't leave much room for future fills. Anyone on the forum reached the max fill in their band? I'm worried that this could happen in a couple of years.

Linda

I was also wondering some people already have 3.0cc in a 4cc band in just a couple of fills. I can't remember who it is but they had there band put in Feb 08 and already have 3.0 cc in their band. This doesn't leave much room for future fills. Anyone on the forum reached the max fill in their band? I'm worried that this could happen in a couple of years.

Linda

If a patient has 3cc's in a 4cc band, it really doesn't mean much other than what it says. A patient could go on and never require another fill or the fills would be in tenths from now on. When you hit a certain spot of restriction,, you may only require a fine tuning/tweeking of the band. In reality,, a 4 cc band will hold a little more than 4 cc's,, but your not get Inamed to tell you what it really holds. I'd think that if you get close to the 4cc mark your going to be really restricted or completely closed off. A 4cc band and a 10cc band when completely filled have almost the same inside diameter when there full of saline. It all depends at the time of surgery,, how thick the layer of fat is around your stomach and how thick your stomach wall is to which band the surgeon places inside of you. Most American surgeons use only one size band for all patients,, they'll use either the 10cc or 14cc band. They all do the same job,, just some are bigger and require more saline and or fills to get you to a "sweet spot"

Dolittle, you're the best. Thanks for the explanation. The unfill I heard is for when you are sick or find yourself pregnant. I know these were excluded from your explanations which are the exceptions. I have read in other forums where some US doctors are doing a fill/tweaking every 6 weeks, for the first year... Cost was included with the 18-30K lapband surgery but why??? That would be about 8.6 adjustments in a year, if $500 for each visit then that's about $4500.

Yeah, I really like having control over my expenses and adjustment needs. I really doubt that I would end up having to have 8-9 fills in a year unless I become sickly. So far my cost and results have been great with my decision to go with Dr. Ortiz.

Surgery- 8K (trip cost $250 + $120)

1st Fill - $100 w/fluoro (trip cost $250)

2nd Fill - $150 no/fluoro

3rd Fill - $125 (future expense)

Total cost so far has still been under 9K and even if I project a future cost of 5K for this year, I'm still under the 18K that would have been charged here and in the process I get to take mini vacations and all the cost and travel expenses will be tax deductible for this surgery. Add to the peace of mind that my doctors were excellent and one of the best in their field. This was my first deciding factor..( having my lapband done by an experienced, well renowned doctor with a great track record)

Hanna:)