Questions about stress and your band

I went to a lapband support group last night and some of the people were talking about how stress in their lives affect the tightness of their band. Has anyone ever heard this before? I know I am very sensitive some days and can barely eat anything because I am so tight, and sometimes I can eat almost anything. Could this be from stress???? I never much thought of that being the reason before, but it would explain a lot of things on why I can eat something one day and the next day can't tolerate it, but a few days later have no problem with it. Anyone else experiencing this?

Donna

I think my BFF's band is tighter when she's under stress.

Isn't BFF???

I went to a lapband support group last night and some of the people were talking about how stress in their lives affect the tightness of their band. Has anyone ever heard this before? I know I am very sensitive some days and can barely eat anything because I am so tight, and sometimes I can eat almost anything. Could this be from stress???? I never much thought of that being the reason before, but it would explain a lot of things on why I can eat something one day and the next day can't tolerate it, but a few days later have no problem with it. Anyone else experiencing this?

Donna

Donna,

Stress definitely affects my band. The more stress...the tighter my band. I've no idea why stress causes more restriction...but after two years, I've learned a lot about what works and what doesn't!

This was news to me, but I have been really stressed lately and was worried that I needed to get unfilled.....didn't want to do that as it was working fine on some days. That must be my problem....guess I just have to relax, but that is easier said than done, got (4 ) 16-17 year olds in the home!

I have heard that this is a very common occurance, just like stress can produce ulcers and other compications in a normal human body, the band seems to be a target for stress (maybe it has something to do with it being a foregin object that your body clamps down on) but you are not alone in this!!

Stess makes my band slam shut! I am generally quite stress free but my mom is sick and it had reaked havoc with my band. I competely unfilled in Jan 08 but still have trouble with food and have brutal acid reflux.

Donna

HI DONNA,

YEP, FOR ME STRESS ISN'T GOOD IF I PLAN ON EATING. SOMETIMES IF I'M STRESSED, A GLASS OF VINO, ETC IS JUST WHAT THE DR ORDERED TO RELAX AND ENJOY MY DIN DIN. (I DIDN'T SAY BREAKFAST LOL)

Donna, I also get tighter when stressed or on my period. As long as you are getting enough calories I think it's ok. Normally for me I do experience different levels of tightness regularly as well. I just try to eat slower on those days, "easier" foods, etc..

Karen

Okay this is very informative! Thank you experienced bandsters for posting. Has it ever been medically explained? So. If I stress out does that mean my band will slam shut! It's the opposite with me.. I'll eat when I'm stressed... in fact I grazed on nuts and trail mix while my mom was stressing me just last week and everything went down fine it seems. I'm going to be more observant in this regard with my band.

YES! Stress definitely affects my band, just as it used to affect my eating habits! It's easier to relax when I'm full now, but it's still an effort every single day to chill out!!!