Bumps in the road?

:unsure: Hello Everyone,

I'm new here, but I've been reading lots of the posts over the last several weeks. I have made an appointment to be banded on November 4th with Dr. Ortiz and I have to admit while I'm mostly excited, I'm a little scared too. I might be going alone and because my family won't understand, I'm not telling them about it until I return from Mexico. I've read lots of positive posts about people's experiences, which is great, but I want to know about any bumps in the road people have experienced or things for which people weren't prepared. Please share! I'm looking to posting again a few months from November 4th with lots of positives myself!

Hi Penny

I was banded in April of 2004

So far no bumps in the road for me, everything has gone smoothly and my weight loss is almost 60lbs. I love my band, it has changed my life!!

The only thing I would advise is if you are not planning on going back to TJ to Dr. Ortiz for your fills is that you arrange aftercare in your local area. I have known people who have had a difficult time getting aftercare in their area. Many Dr's will not touch a paiteint banded in Mexico and if they do they charge an arm and a leg. If you do not plan on going back to TJ for fills make sure you ask Dr. Ortiz if he has any associates in your area who will fill Mexican patients. You will loveDr. Ortiz he is the best and his entire staff takes care of your every need. You are in good hands.. also if you do not plan to go back to Tj here is a good site to check for Docs in your area www.lap-band.com Click on Surgeon Locator at the top of the page..

Best of Luck to you..

Hi Penny

I was banded in April of 2004

So far no bumps in the road for me, everything has gone smoothly and my weight loss is almost 60lbs. I love my band, it has changed my life!!

The only thing I would advise is if you are not planning on going back to TJ  to Dr. Ortiz for your fills is that you arrange aftercare in your local area. I have known people who have had a difficult time getting aftercare in their area. Many Dr's will not  touch a paiteint banded in Mexico and if they do they charge an arm and a leg. If you do not plan on going back to TJ for fills  make sure you ask Dr. Ortiz if he has any associates in your area who will fill Mexican patients. You will loveDr. Ortiz he is the best and his entire staff takes care of your every need. You are in good hands.. also if you do not plan to go back to Tj here is a good site to check for Docs in your area www.lap-band.com Click on Surgeon Locator at the top of the page..

Best of Luck to you..

Thanks for the information Michelle! I have asked if Dr. Ortiz worked with any doctor's in the NC area (I haven't heard back yet), but based on everything I'm reading it seems like it will be cheaper to go back to Mexico to get the fills. I just wish it didn't take so long to get there from NC! Thanks again and congratulations on your weight loss, you've done an awesome job!