I am starving!

Halobabe

:( I'm following the post op to the letter, and I am really hungry! I don't know if it's head hunger or not, but my mouth is watering thinking of eating a plate of some healthy food...vegetables! I've been eating jello and chicken broth and beef broth and popsicles, and I'm so sick and tired of clear liquids!!! Ugh! I need real food! I feel nauseaous, I'm so hungry! I wasn't really hungry the day after my surgery, but now I'm 4 days post op and I'm really struggling! I really think I'll try some really really thin liquids other than clear because this just ain't getting it! I have to return to work Monday and all I can think of is how hungry I am! Any ideas??? Helllllp!!!

I completely understand, the same thing happened to me. I ended up emailing Dr. Miranda and telling her. She gave me some suggestions. I would reccomend that you do that. However, giver her a day or so to respond. I found that if I copied Dr. Ortiz, she responded quicker. However, don't go off of the post op diet without her consultation.

Did Dr. Miranda tell you that you could add a fiber pill to your diet a couple of times a day? I know it doesn't sound like much but it really did help.

You can have as much chicken broth, popsicles, etc as you like. I found that usually I was more thirsty than hungry. Are you keeping yourself well hydrated?

I feel your pain! I had my surgery July 7th, and was not hungary for the first two days. However when I got home, and back to real life, I found myself (expectedly) head hungry, but quite unexpectedly physically hungry as well! I'm talking STARVING! I used the fiber pills, which helped a little, but my stomach would growl so loud you could hear it in the other room.

I really underestimated how difficult that first week would be. I think the first few days went well due to swelling, but after the swelling went down, the hunger pains came. I called Dr. Martinez and he explained that with the VG band being larger, there is little to no restriction before the first fill. I was concerned about the hunger since Dr. Miranda gave us the post-op instructions that clearly stated that we would NOT feel physically hungry.

I wound up taking some diet pills that were leftover from my pre-banding days, just to curb my hunger. I don't know how the clinic feels about this, but for me--I felt it was absolutely necessary to keep from sabotaging the band somehow. I'm not taking the diet pills any longer, so I can feel the hunger or lack of hunger...but it did help me get over those tough weeks.

For the two weeks after clear liquids, I found full liquids to be easier in terms of keeping the hunger at bay...but not the emotional hunger. It did get MUCH easier day by day. In fact, last Friday was my first day of eating solid food and I was very nervous about it. During my clear liquid week, I would fantasize about being able to eat a whole pizza!! haha As I came closer to the day I could actually eat, and having lost almost 25 pounds already, those fantasies have left me. I had a small piece of baked chicken and noodles for my first meal--and it made me sick to my stomach. I don't think it was the food reacting with the band, but my stomach having a hard time "stomaching" real food after 3 weeks.

I can't wait to get my first fill, in 2 weeks. I don't feel any restriction thus far. I haven't been testing it by overeating, however. I still feel able to eat regular portions, although I'm watching what I eat because I don't want to stop losing and/or gaining weight. I thought no pop would be the really tough part for me (I drank at least 4 diet cokes a day), but the really hard thing wound up being not drinking while I eat! I'm really struggling with THAT! Any suggestions??

I was banded on the 14th and I have been starved for the past 10 days. I feel like I could take a bite out of my arm! I hear and feel loud growling. I really wasn't having a problem at first, but then it hit me! Also, I fell last week (Some klutz put their dufflebag on the floor, in front of a door. When I entered the room, I immediately tripped and fell, hard, on my stomache). I felt so hungry after that; I thought the band had slipped. I immediately called the local surgeon who is doing my follow up care and asked if I should have fluroscopy to be sure that the band is in place. He laughed and told me to wait 4 more weeks.

I also feel no restriction and find that I am tired and irritable. I have only lost 12 pounds since the week before surgery...also a little disappointing. I definitely underestimated how hard it would be to get to that first fill. I know I shouldn't wish time away, but I do wish I would wake up and it would be the end of August, so I could get my first fill. Everyone is right when they say that the band is only a tool. No matter what anyone says, this is not easy.

I was banded on the 14th and I have been starved for the past 10 days. I feel like I could take a bite out of my arm! I hear and feel loud growling. I really wasn't having a problem at first, but then it hit me! Also, I fell last week (Some klutz put their dufflebag on the floor, in front of a door. When I entered the room, I immediately tripped and fell, hard, on my stomache). I felt so hungry after that; I thought the band had slipped. I immediately called the local surgeon who is doing my follow up care and asked if I should have fluroscopy to be sure that the band is in place. He laughed and told me to wait 4 more weeks.

I also feel no restriction and find that I am tired and irritable. I have only lost 12 pounds since the week before surgery...also a little disappointing. I definitely underestimated how hard it would be to get to that first fill. I know I shouldn't wish time away, but I do wish I would wake up and it would be the end of August, so I could get my first fill. Everyone is right when they say that the band is only a tool. No matter what anyone says, this is not easy.

Guest marys

Yes, call or email Dr. Miranda - she responds quickly and will offer some suggestions. I hated tomato juice prior to surgery and loved it post op (hate it again - go figure) but that plus warm THIN tomato soup (no junks at all) saved me from starvation. Don't take any pills without her ok and try try try to stay on diet - it is so important to let that band heal in place. I liked soup broths better than bouillon - ramen noodle beef broth was good (of course, no noodles - bummer - lol)

hang in there and experiement - i did a lot of watered down fruit juices too. good luck don't give up.

I haven't had any trouble with fiber pills getting stuck, but you might want to check which ones you are taking. I take fibercon - they are mostly soluble fiber - which don't generally cause what they call a "choking hazard" - some of the other fiber choices that have insoluble fiber may. So check labels. I always break mine in half first. I have other issues that I take fiber for, so I take them prior to eating a salad, or something that might be a little harder to disgest because they "coat" my stomach... but again - I take soluble fiber not insoluble fiber.

The growling in your stomach... I experienced that a lot - and very loudly, but it didn't come with pangs of hunger at all. Was a wierd sensation to hear and feel my stomach growling, but not feel hungry, but I was drinking almost constantly. Make your own chicken broth... boil a chicken and toss onions and veggies in there - then just strain it before you drink it. It also makes dinners for the rest of the family (i made chicken enchiladas, etc with the chicken I boiled)

Good luck :)

You are not filled yet. The first 6-8 weeks is for healing from the placement not concentrated on the weight loss. Don't panic, it will happen. Just take this time to HEAL properly. The post op diet is TOUGH, no doubt about it. Once you get through this, and your band has had time to set and settle.... you will get your fill and life will be different.

Talk about 'head hunger':

I'm lucky, I guess, because the diet has been...well, not easy, but I just do it. I can't say that I'm really struggling with it. I think I just don't know what real hunger feels like. I do think about eating of course, but try to force my thoughts in a different direction. Fact, after I realized that I was seeing 5 ads in a row that were food related, I stopped watching TV entirely!!

But last night (I'm day 8 pos-op BTW) I kept dreaming that I was eating...I mean really detailed dreams(?) of chewing (usually a tunafish sandwich ????) and then suddenly realizing I shouldn't be eating because of the surgery, and then spitting out the food!! Veeerrry weird.

And now day 8 dawns, it's yogurt day...and I couldn't care less! I am looking forward to full liquids, but not with any real longing. I thought I'd be ready to gnaw on the table by now.

Seabreze - I've never had "food" dreams until I was post-op! I recall dreaming that I was eating a home grilled hamburger during my liquid phase! When I woke up, I had the giggles thinking about the pure bliss I'd had in my dream munching on that burger!!! LOL! For me, a home grilled hamburger is some of the best food you can eat! :lol: So, you aren't alone. If you can't eat it for real, then at least enjoy it in your dreams. Chelley

Seabreze - I've never had "food" dreams until I was post-op! I recall dreaming that I was eating a home grilled hamburger during my liquid phase! When I woke up, I had the giggles thinking about the pure bliss I'd had in my dream munching on that burger!!! LOL! For me, a home grilled hamburger is some of the best food you can eat! :lol: So, you aren't alone. If you can't eat it for real, then at least enjoy it in your dreams. Chelley

I think that's hilarious guys. I quit smoking about 2 and a half years ago and sometimes dream I'm having a cigarette. I wake up upset with myself. LOL Nita

The dreams reminded me when I had my jaw surgically broke (MANY years ago) and wired shut - not for weight loss - ha. I was wired for 6 weeks and the doc said blend anyhing up and drink it - couldn't stomach anything and only ate milk with bananas in it for 6 weeks. by the end i was dreaming every night non stop about ordering food at mcdonalds, going to restaurants etc. I still couldn't chew for many weeks after and guess what? I started then at 155lbs and ended up at 150 - no wonder i'm a slow loser now! Oh yeah and a few months later a guy friend of mine had it done and he lost so much weight in the first two weeks they put him back in the hospital to feed him. arrgh!!!

• 2 weeks later...

speaking of hunger (sorry i didnt want to create another thread about this one question), at what point on the post op liquid diet can we drink tomato soup??

I'm still barely on day 5 of the first 7 days of the post op diet.

Thanks!

You'd need to wait until you go to full liquid phase, day 10. No chunks!

Ask if this is okay with Lori and company, but I really found that top ramen flavor packets helped "mix it up" between the awful chicken and beef broth. Different flavors, at least. And if you serve it good and hot, it really helped me.

Not sure what they say about it, but worth checking into.

Also, when you get to the tomato soup stage, you HAVE to try the Campbells Select Gold Label Tomato Basic and Garlic soup. It really is the BEST!

Ask if this is okay with Lori and company, but I really found that top ramen flavor packets helped "mix it up" between the awful chicken and beef broth. Different flavors, at least. And if you serve it good and hot, it really helped me.

Not sure what they say about it, but worth checking into.

Also, when you get to the tomato soup stage, you HAVE to try the Campbells Select Gold Label Tomato Basic and Garlic soup. It really is the BEST!

IN THE DELI DEPARTMENT AT SAFEWAY'S, THEY HAVE A SAFEWAY BRAND TOMATO BASIL SOUP, IN A CLEAR PLASTIC "BUCKET" THAT'S TO DIE FOR!!! IT'S ALMOST LIKE A SAUCE MORE THEN A SOUP, AND VERY TASTE!!!

IN THE DELI DEPARTMENT AT SAFEWAY'S, THEY HAVE A SAFEWAY BRAND TOMATO BASIL SOUP, IN A CLEAR PLASTIC "BUCKET" THAT'S TO DIE FOR!!! IT'S ALMOST LIKE A SAUCE MORE THEN A SOUP, AND VERY TASTE!!!

Also, check in your organic food aisle. There are some FABULOUS cream soups that are also dairy free and low in fat. I like the mushroom one myself. Can't think of the brand, but you'll know it when you see it. Comes in those square cardboard containers instead of cans.

Thanks for all the great soup ideas. I can't wait. Tomorrow is day 10 yippee!!!! I will be going to the grocery store to get all the soups that were suggested. Thanks for checking them out for me ahead of time.

Becki

TOMORROW IS DAY 21 FOR SANDY AND I AND YA KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS......... WOO HOO!!! LOL

I can't imagine that a flavor packet, fully dissolved is a problem, it would be like making chicken broth from a boullion cube. I really found that boiling my own chicken, with onions, garlic and seasoning then straining it and drinking the broth tasted better than any canned broth or stock. By the way... who made ME the band nazi... that's kepola's husband!!! :P

Just no chunks, and nothing thick or creamy until after day 10.

You are not filled yet. The first 6-8 weeks is for healing from the placement not concentrated on the weight loss. Don't panic, it will happen. Just take this time to HEAL properly. The post op diet is TOUGH, no doubt about it. Once you get through this, and your band has had time to set and settle.... you will get your fill and life will be different.

This was great to read,I will be banded on Sept 22, and have been very worried about just loosing the weight. Just knowing how you have came through with the knowlegde of the post op diet its very encouraging. I really want this to make a difference for me as well. thanks again for the thumbs up. :)

dixie darlin