Why am I hungry?

I am almost 4 weeks post band and I want to know much have you guys (other bandsters) been able to eat prior to a fill. I am eating less than I would of normally eaten prior to the band. That makes me happy, however; I am getting hungry between meals at this point. Would a fill help with the hunger (allowing the food to stay in the pouch longer)? I am looking for hunger control and I am getting it, but should I be expecting more? Also, I am eating very well. A little bit of protein, a little bit of veg and a little bit of fruit. On another note, does hunger and the ability to eat a certain amount fluctuate with regards to "that time of the month"? Your thoughts would be appreciated and I thank you in advance for your words of wisdom. :)

Lisa,

This is totally normal in my opinion. After I was banded and eating, I was back to my usual tricks and meals. Are you getting enough calories everyday? After fills I've found that I am less hungry. Also it takes so long to eat that sometimes I don't even look forward to eating! Just be patient and hang in there. Most people gain a little back after surgery but before their adequate fill level (which may or may not be the first fill).

Good luck! Just try and stay active and don't worry about it. Maybe try fruit for snacks? I like to munch on Corn Bran if I feel a little hungry.

Karen

Oh and I definitely think that having your period affects your appetite, I've always found that. (My fill gets tighter too during that time).

Hey Lisa!

I'm finding that I'm not very hungry. However, my therapist has me monitoring my hunger level so I'm very much aware of how hungry I am. It just doesn't creep up on me and bam! I'm hungry. I think it's because when I'm at a level 3, (from 1-5) I eat something or prepare something to eat so that I don't get to a level 4 or 5 which is ravenous.

Maybe your blood sugar is dropping? Try eating a little protein when you get hungry between meals.

Hope you and your husband are doing great!

Jena

Hey Lisa!

I'm finding that I'm not very hungry. However, my therapist has me monitoring my hunger level so I'm very much aware of how hungry I am. It just doesn't creep up on me and bam! I'm hungry. I think it's because when I'm at a level 3, (from 1-5) I eat something or prepare something to eat so that I don't get to a level 4 or 5 which is ravenous.

Maybe your blood sugar is dropping? Try eating a little protein when you get hungry between meals.

Hope you and your husband are doing great!

Jena

Good to hear from you Jena!!! Sounds like you are really getting in touch with your inner hunger self and I think it is healthy to go to a therapist.

I just was not sure if I should be getting hungry between meals. Dr. Ortiz had always told me, three meals only. That is it!

I hope all is well with you. How is Gloria??? Tell her hi and Rob and I would love to see the pics she took while you both were in TJ.

Take Care, Lisa

Lisa, I was exactly like you before I got my fill. I wasn't eating as much as I was before the band but I definately did not have restriction. I did get hungry between meals and occasionally still do if I don't eat a well balanced meal but the hungar has definately subsided some. And yes, the amount of restriction you have can depend on that time of the month. I have heard other bandsters say they have GREAT restriction during their period and I have other say the opposite. I guess it just depends on the individual. But don't worry, just a couple of more weeks and you'll be ready for a fill!! Good luck and keep us posted.

lisa good to hear from you. I just listen to my body. When I am truly hunger and not just craving something I eat protein first, then veggies, then carbs. I eat really slowly, don't drink while eating and chew well. Then when I am just satisfied not stuffed I stop because I know that I will give myself permission to eat again as soon as I am truly hungry. It does mean I may eat more than 3 times on certain days but then most days I just do protein water for breakfast because I am not truly hungry but I know I need to get my metabolism moving.