NOT drinking

JFleming56

I am having a very unexpected struggle! I'm in my first week of eating solid food post-op, and I keep forgetting to NOT drink when I eat. Before surgery, I would drink 2 or 3 glasses of water or diet coke during a meal...and now, I am so dry-mouthed! I feel like I'm eating cotton...any suggestions would be much apprectiated...

Jodie

I am having a very unexpected struggle! I'm in my first week of eating solid food post-op, and I keep forgetting to NOT drink when I eat. Before surgery, I would drink 2 or 3 glasses of water or diet coke during a meal...and now, I am so dry-mouthed! I feel like I'm eating cotton...any suggestions would be much apprectiated...

Jodie

Jodie - I had this problem too. When I was in my 20's I had to have one of my saliva glands removed due to a tumor and as a result I feel like I don't have enough moisture in my mouth to chew and swallow, but it is really a matter of transitioning to smaller bites. Now that I have restriction, I can't drink and eat because there isn't enough room for it all and I'll end up PB'ing. Try cutting up whatever you are eating like you are feeding a toddler and you will find that with the smaller bites you do have enough moisture in your mouth to chew and swallow. I also sip liquids before the meal, but once I get ready to eat I stop drinking and do not drink for about 1 hour after a meal. Hope this information helps! Chelley

Jodie

Ugh, this is the hardest pre-op part for me. I'm trying to get into the habbit NOW so that I won't be all futzed up after surgery. I drink water all day long, especially during a meal.

To help deal with the dry mouth part, I would suggest going to your local pharmacy. They should have several options for people suffering from dry mouth (I've had to do this with anti-depressants in the past). They have a toothpaste, a mouthwash, and also a gel that you kinda rub on your tongue and teeth (it doesn't taste bad). It helps keep your mouth from drying out and helps protect your teeth and gums from reduced saliva.

Hope this helps!

Hi All,

Something Dr. Miranda suggested to me... if you feel particularly dry and need some moisture after a bite, suck a little bit on an ice cube. It will give you that moisture in your mouth, but you really won't be taking in much liquid.

Jodie

Hello Jodie,

We are all creatures of habit, aren't we? lol I, too, found it hard not to drink with a meal...and when eating out I'd often order a beverage without even thinking that I couldn't have it! lol It takes time to adjust to a change in lifetime of routine. But it will happen for you. It took me a short time to realize that solid food helps the my body feel satisfied longer because the food stays in my lil' stomach longer when not washed thru with drink. I'm all for anything that keep my hunger at bay. It is a struggle I don't care what anyone says! And you will also learn what solid foods go down well and those that don't. Like Chelley said, the smaller bites help, and for me drinking a substantial bottle or glass of water about 30 minutes "before" I eat helps keep me from eating too fast....that is NOT good! I hate PB'ing! I have to make sure that I do not allow myself to get too hungry...also the fiber tablets were useless to me! Just access and remember what works for you...everyone is different....also share your thoughts and problems with us here, you just might find a solution that you'd not thought about that will work for you! Keep your chin up and good luck on your journey~~~ Dreamer

Yep - hardest thing for me to is not drinking with or one hour after meals (well small bites and chewing are tough too -smile) What has helped me is to completely clear any liquids off the table during the meal - then after I eat I immediately get up and do something - the dishes and cleaning the kitchen usually kills 20 minutes then maybe a walk around the neighborhood or checking my email - as soon as i take my last bite i look at the clock and scope out when an hour is up and then get moving. If you just sit there and think about how thirsty your are, you are doomed so try to be active doing something - make some phone calls, etc. You can do it. I also try to have some moist foods at a meal - a little homemade dressing on my salad or veges, maybe a spoon or two of sauce on my protein. Also, I've found if I'm eating ethnnic foods like chinese or mexican i have to watch the spice level as that can really be a killer. Good luck - you CAN do it - just start and it will get easier.