Pre Op diet question

I just started my pre op diet today. I am doing the slim fast shakes for breakfast and lunch and then lean cuisine or smart one for dinner.

My question is my shake I had for breakfast was 180 calories, my shake I had for lunch was 190 calories and all the lean cuisines and smart ones I bought have no more then 250 calories in them. So for the day I will have a total of 620 calories.... Is this going to affect my weight loss? I mean it just seems like I would go into starvation mode instead of losing weight ya know..

And plus I AM FREAKING STARVING!

HELP PLEASE!

Hi there,

I am on Optifast 900...4 shakes per day at 225 cal. each...I can replace a shake with non-starch veggies. I have been replacing a shake with a lean cuisine and still lost 9 lbs in one week. I would take in at least 900 calories, if you take in too little, you won't lose weight as quickly, as your body could go into starvation mode.

Best of luck...you can do it!!!!

Cathy

I emailed Dr. Miranda and she said we can also have cucumbers, mushrooms and asparagus. If you have mushrooms and asparagus you can sautee them with PAM cooking spray, no oil.

I have been adding this in with my shakes and it is helping me feel fuller longer. :lol:

That sounds like too few calories. I probably am closer to 800-900 a day. I have added a piece of fruit or for some of the dinners addres parmesan cheese so I don't feel deprived.

Something else I have found helps. Dring a full glass of COLD water when the dinner is cooking. It gets rid of the immediate hunger/ thirst and preps the body for the non drinking for an hour after the meal.

I also have better luck feeling full after a Glucerna drink or meal bar than the others. I don't think the blood sugar varies as much so you don't get the crash afterwards.

So far I am down 24.5 pounds and I still have 2 weeks until my surgery. I started about 3 weeks ago due to terror over possibly not losing the 17.5 pounds I was supposed to before surgery. So, I am happy to have gone beyond that.

Good Luck!

That sounds like too few calories. I probably am closer to 800-900 a day. I have added a piece of fruit or for some of the dinners addres parmesan cheese so I don't feel deprived.

Something else I have found helps. Dring a full glass of COLD water when the dinner is cooking. It gets rid of the immediate hunger/ thirst and preps the body for the non drinking for an hour after the meal.

I also have better luck feeling full after a Glucerna drink or meal bar than the others. I don't think the blood sugar varies as much so you don't get the crash afterwards.

So far I am down 24.5 pounds and I still have 2 weeks until my surgery. I started about 3 weeks ago due to terror over possibly not losing the 17.5 pounds I was supposed to before surgery. So, I am happy to have gone beyond that.

Good Luck!

Elaine that is great results!!! I hope I have results like yours!

Guest sdejong

Does anyone think it depends on how much you currently weigh??? This might sound crazy but I would think if you have more weight to loose it would be easir to loose greater amounts than someone with a low BMI that only weighs 198-220lbs. Any thoughts on this?????

I am getting ready to start my pre-opt after the last day of school (4 more days.....) and I am totally stressed that I won't loose enough and I will have spent all the $ for nothing...

shy

I just started my pre op diet today. I am doing the slim fast shakes for breakfast and lunch and then lean cuisine or smart one for dinner.

My question is my shake I had for breakfast was 180 calories, my shake I had for lunch was 190 calories and all the lean cuisines and smart ones I bought have no more then 250 calories in them. So for the day I will have a total of 620 calories.... Is this going to affect my weight loss? I mean it just seems like I would go into starvation mode instead of losing weight ya know..

And plus I AM FREAKING STARVING!

HELP PLEASE!

During my pre-op period I think Dr. M said that you could have up to 4lbs of greens only greens, with the wishbone spritzers I used to have salads with my shakes made me feel like I was having a meal vs "just a shake" and some times for a sweet treat I would mix up some sugar free jello and fat free cool whip It has like no calories yummy..... hope this helps.... Crissi :girl_smile:

Shy,

You are totally right. I weighed 318.5 on my scales, nekkid ;) and I was easily able to lose 25 pounds in 7 weeks. I doubt if I could have lost that much if I were 100 pounds lighter.

Don't sweat it girl! You'll do fine.

Jena

Does anyone think it depends on how much you currently weigh??? This might sound crazy but I would think if you have more weight to loose it would be easir to loose greater amounts than someone with a low BMI that only weighs 198-220lbs. Any thoughts on this?????

I am getting ready to start my pre-opt after the last day of school (4 more days.....) and I am totally stressed that I won't loose enough and I will have spent all the $ for nothing...

shy

I have been told they estmate 5% of your body weight...I was 280, 5% = 14 lbs.

My surgeon did not say how much to lose, just do the pre-op plan for two weeks. I have been on Optifast shakes at least 2-3 per day, lean cuisine and non-starch veggies...I have lost 10 lbs in 10 days!!

Good luck!!

Cathy

I have been told they estmate 5% of your body weight...I was 280, 5% = 14 lbs.

My surgeon did not say how much to lose, just do the pre-op plan for two weeks. I have been on Optifast shakes at least 2-3 per day, lean cuisine and non-starch veggies...I have lost 10 lbs in 10 days!!

Good luck!!

Cathy

Cathy you are knocking them pounds out girl! Way to go!

I'm on my pre-op diet too; I've lost about 9 pounds in the last 7 days. I have a Slim Fast for breakfast, a nice big GREEN ONLY salad for lunch, a Slim Fast around 3 and then dinner of around 300 cals for dinner. I do get very hungry at night, so I've been going to bed EARLY :rolleyes: . I do eat as much GREEN salad as I want, I don't like the calorie free dressings so I've found that I like to mix lemon and vinegar!! I also eat sugar free jello (I made some orange jello with a can of mandarin oranges and instead of cold water mixed it with diet Sierra Mist - WONDERFUL!!).

I watched one of the surgeries on UTube and the reason the doctor wants us to lose 5% of our weight before surgery is because he has to go around the liver and there is LOTS of fat (and it looks like chicken fat!!) around the liver. If we lose the weight before the surgery that reduces the amount of fat around the liver and makes for an easier surgery.

Hang in there - we are all in this together!! One week from today I'll be banded!!

I guess I blew my pre op diet today! UGGGHHHH

I was STARVING though......... I had my slimfast shake for breakfast, but when lunch came around I was starving.... A stinking shake was NOT going to satisify me..... SO I went to Subway, had a 6 in wheat ham sub..BUT I didnt have any cheese or mayo or anything like that I just had mustard, LOTS of lettuce, onions, pickles and shredded carrots! I had the veggie chips too they had 170 calories....

I feel bad that I had subway but then again I dont because I am satisified and not starving anymore!

Lilly Girl:

Don't get down on yourself, get back in the saddle. You can do it!!! Maybe you can do a shake for dinner?? And then get to bed early........ :rolleyes: DWIT (do whatever it takes) to get to your goal. You are worth it. Take it one minute at a time. Hang in there.

Hugs to you!!

I am having a rough time with the pre op diet also. Even with Dr. Miranda's suggestions, I can only eat so much salad, cucumbers, and asparagus!!! I'm SOOOO hungry! I also had to quit smoking so I'm trying to give up two vice's at the same time, it's been a rough week! I just have to keep reminding myself that in the end I'll be so happy that I did this!

I actually find I do better if I actually CHEW something for lunch instead of just drinking a shake. I like the Glucerna chocolate peanut meal bars. It tastes like an extra chewy reese's cup. Can we say YUM? It seems to hold the hungries off longer than the shake for lunch. There are also a couple of atkins bars that taste pretty good too.

Good luck..You can do it!!!