Tell me about the PRE-OP

The pre-op I had consisted of a counsultation meeting with the nutritionist in which acurate height, weight, BMI were calculated and the eating plan was explained in detail for the post-op period and thereafter as a lapbander. Next, I had blood drawn which was just a basic pannel of lab tests (CBC) done to verify your current health such as your blood count to make sure you are not anemic, your white cell count to make sure you don't have an active infection. Electrolytes were also checked to make sure the body is in good condtion to undergo major surgery. Part of this workup also included an HIV test since immocompromised patients do not need a foriegn body implanted like a lapband. After the blood was drawn, an EKG was done to make sure my heart was healthy with no arrythmias which could be life threatening in surgery. Next was a pulmonary function test to measure the capacity and strength of my lungs to withstand anethesia. Dr. Jimenez collects information on you past medical history and will evaluate any area he feels is important to follow up on. Because I am diabetic, my blood sugar level was also monitored. Chelley