Swallowing 4 weeks post op

I have not yet had my first fill and am 4 weeks post op. Does anyone know why tablets and/or capsules get stuck when I try to swallow them? I don't understand what my band (unfilled) has to do w/ this. Also, after I eat, I often feel as if there is food lodged in my throat, right at the base of my neck. It's sooo irritating and I just wish I knew why and if it is going to last. Thanks for the help!

I'm 4 weeks post op today and today was the first day I've experienced the same thing as you. Bread got stuck in my throat and I didn't want to force it up so I waited and waited. It finally didn't feel like it was stuck in my throat after a couple of hours.

Normally I take my daily medication (5 varying size pills) with about 1/2 cup of chocolate milk (I don't like white milk except with brownies ;) It makes them go down so much easier.

After the bread incident I couldn't stomach the idea of drinking chocolate milk or eating anything for that matter. So I took them with some water and they didn't go down too easily.

I was finally able to eat a few spoonfulls of soft mashed potatoes. That's all I've been able to eat today. UGH!

Jena

Maybe your stomach still has some swelling , just being 4 weeks post-op. A fellow bandster, Laurie, had the same thing. She had trouble with alot of foods and had to be careful. She was told it was excessive swelling. She got her first fill last week and she STILL had some restriction BEFORE her fill! Funny how different we all are!! :rolleyes:

Wow and you've lost 35 lbs!! That's great! I've had a few "stuck" incidents, mostly where I've eaten too fast. I just don't get why I can't swallow capsules very well.

Thanks! 25 pounds was the pre-op diet, though, so 10 since being banded.

Try drinking some milk or yogurt when you take the capsule. It seems to coat the pills and helps them slide on down.

Mona-C, I hope things are going better for you with your mom & all of the stress. I bet that second fill does the trick!

Jena

I asked about food getting stuck yesterday when I spoke to my patient coordinator again...and she said chew chew chew, even tablets, cut food really small and things shouldn't get stuck. Bread is not a good choice this soon, too doughy.

She also recommended at the very beginning to eat food that's kind of slimey until your throat and stomach get used to solid food.

Good luck, you'll do just great!!!

Cathy