Anybody pay through PayPal?

Guest ladybug

Guest ladybug

This is my first post. I cannot find the information I need, so hope I am not asking a question that has been explained in previous posts.

After over two years of researching doctors, reading patient reports on web-sites and weighing all the options, I have started the wheels in motion. My surgery date is with Dr. Ortiz, 8/18/06.

Right now, my main issue is trying to figure out how to work with PayPal. I got my account "verified" and made my $500 deposit today. I e-mailed PayPal asking for an explanation about a "receiving limit" mentioned in the initial e-mail they sent when I became verified. The PayPal rep sent back a lengthy response that pretty much said "get verified," and the receiving limit had to do with how much money came into a personal account. (Every profession has its own language, so I just needed to know what that meant. I wondered if it implied the amount that came into my account from me.) I responded to the rep saying that I WAS verified, but haven't heard anything back. I have worked for hours on this. I then realized someone on this board would know the answer. Here is my question:

1) If my account is now verified, do I have to do anything else for PayPal to send Dr. Ortiz the $8,000 balance on the surgery this next week?

Could someone walk me through? I may be overly anxious, but just don't want to come up to the date and have the surgery be cancelled due to my inexperience with PayPal.

I have learned an incredible amount just reading the message boards and genuinely appreciate everyone's willingness to share information.

Many thanks in advance.

ladybug

Ladybug - I wish I could help you, but I had my credit card company deposit the amount directly into my checking account then I sent a personal check for the deposit and took at cashier's check for the remainder with me to TJ. Chelley

You shouldn't have a problem. Just make sure you put your name & surgery date in the notes section. If you have a limit of what you can send in each transaction - you can always send 4 payments of $2,000 (someone else had this problem - the whole $8,000 at one time, so I had them make 4 payments of $2,000 - and that went through fine - again - just remember to note who its for and the surgery date.

Good luck!

Guest ladybug

Thanks, Chelley and Lori, I got a reply to my actual questions this morning. Getting everything together in such a short time has been intimidating. The PayPal rep stated he reviewed my account and lifted any spending limits. I had no idea they had spending limits, limits on how much you can receive, etc. Somewhere along this short but winding road, a lady told me the limits were due to 9-11 and money laundering, which makes sense.

I am really, really, nervous, but know I have to do this for my health. I have lost and gained the weight so many times - This tool can help me gain a new perspective on life, activities, etc. Also, Carolyn has been such a great source of information. Anyone considering this surgery in Mexico with Dr. Ortiz will be amazed at her calm, common sense approach. Her wealth of knowledge is very assuring.

Thanks again!

ladybug

Guest ladybug

Hi, chrissysdolphin.

I'm not sure which part you are asking about - maybe the limit issue? If so, my e-mails were with three reps, so I tried to glean the most info from the combination of messages. If I understood correctly there is a limit for the first few days of a newly verified account, then that account is evaluated (not sure on what basis) and the limit is lifted. I should be able to send my remaining amount this week just fine.

I will be relieved when this is finally said and done. All this is newly charted territory for each person as they elect to take control of their health. But, personally, I gain courage knowing there have been so many down this path before me.

ladybug

Guest marys

Ladybug, congrats on your banding date! It is normal to be nervous but you will be surprised at how easy and smooth everything goes. You will LOVe dr. ortiz and all of his staff and rest assured you will be fine. Let us know how everything goes and know we are all behind you. GOOD LUCK

Guest ladybug

Thank you so much. I have been reading on other message boards about erosions, slippage, etc. I started second guessing, but then reminded myself of possible complications with every medication and every procedure. That is why I selected Dr. Ortiz to do my lap-band. I felt he has done this enough to narrow that complication rate significantly. I also believe Dr. Ortiz has excellent qualifications; I just have to trust his expertise.

The diet and post-op pain are not concerns - complications are. :o As an RN I have researched lap-band with a pretty critical eye for a couple of years. Naturally, as a self-pay patient, I have some real concerns about complications that insurance would not cover since they don't initially cover WLS. I need to quit obsessing about this and start packing or doing something more productive! ha.

11 days to go!

ladybug

• 2 weeks later...

I paid for my surgery using paypal. It's very easy and efficient, and essentually just like paying with your credit card. If I'm not mistaken, the $500 limit that paypal is referring to is regarding you selling something. You are authorized to accept a payment for $500 with your initial verification. This has nothing to do with you actually buying something (or, in this case paying for something.)

The verification process is required in order to "register" you, so you can buy and sell items, and then use paypal to be able to accept credit card payments without actually having setup a deal with the credit card company directly. Incidently, this is very good for the start up and small business person. Financil background check, if you will.

At least, this is my understanding...so, do worry about making your final payment for surgery, that $500 limit is no relevant to that.

Paypal has been totally useless for me. I got "verified" and thought I'd be good to go. I'm paying with my Visa. However, Pay Pal will not let me select my Visa as the source of the money. Not for 100$, not for $500 and certainly not for $8000. It defaults to my main checking account and requires I first drain that account before my Visa can be used as back-up funding.

I called and they were totally clueless. They said my transaction was raising a security flag and there was NO WAY they could override that decision. Totally ridiculous! There is no issue with my account or the Visa, yet the transaction raised a security flag? They told me to "keep trying". Paypal sucks! Dr. Ortiz should just get set up to take credit cards. What a headache! Trust us with using out credit cards!! We are tusting you with our lives!