Need your help....

Okay... so... I was in Walmart, hungry, and wanted something to eat. Figured Almonds were good and healthy. Picked up a can, opened it, and grabbed a handful. Chewed, chewed, and chewed some more, but obviously not enough. So... I ALMOST started to PB. Mouth watered, I almost went over to the jewellry counter and asked if they had any kleenex. I managed to keep it all in, but I can still feel it lodged or something. It's been about 45 min since it happened. I have walked around alot, and not sure now if I should try and drink something or what to do. Can get some advice here please and thank you.. ( : Anita

Thanks Will... I'm going to try now... Pammie... I've stepped far away from the Almonds, and will be giving the whole can to my sister!

Pizza has hit me a couple of times for the same reason... large bites, and not chewing all the way. You are SO right... live and learn.

will T peeks a LOT ; )

I'm just glad Neeters wasn't blowing chunks all over Wal Mart. Sokay, though Neeters... if the band makes you hurl, it's just a little bit. It's not like the Exorcist and projectile hurl or anything... just a little uurrp and its all done.

One of the hardest obstacles for me to overcome is small bites and chewing. I still mess up sometimes.

That does not sound pleasant at all Anita. I have 8 days to go before my surgery so unfortunatley cannot offer any tips on dealing with the PBing, however WillT was kind enough to explain in great detail what it is and I hope to avoid it at all cost! LOL! I hope you are feeling better!

If we ever want a graphic description of anything.. we know who to ask for it! Just remember to stay on my good side Will, or I may have to print a picture of you, and carry it at the bottom of a paper bag in my purse! lol Which reminds me... do any of you ever carry little bags or ??? in your purse just in case? Will, you don't need to answer that.... I'm sure I know where you keep yours!!! lmfao!!

OMG yes! I carry a small bag in my purse and one in my car! LOL

I carried 4 barf bags home from Alaska Airlines on my trip back to OCC for my first fill. I keep one in my purse and the rest in my car.

I PB alot - I'd say almost every day. I get food stuck 1-2/meals per day. I do notice that it doesn't happen when I cut smaller pieces than I would for my 7 year old!!

It' s really hard - but don't drink water. You feel like you want to - but that only makes it worse if you have a fill. Before your first fill - I did it all the time and it actually helped.

Take much smaller bites, and chew chew chew - and WAIT between your next bite. For some reason, I shovel the small bites in, so guess what, it's the same as taking a huge bite. I have to burp alot - maybe less than 5 mins after eating I have to wait for several big burps before I can begin to eat again.

Old habits die hard and I think learning to eat again has been the hardest!!

I have never carried a barf bag with me,... thank goodness my 2 episodes happened at home. I did make sure there was one on the plane on the way home from my first fill. I tend to get air-queezy and was worried. [Nothing happened though!] OMG, I can't imagine doing that 1 or 2 times a day!! My stomach and throat still hurt from the pizza episode yesterday!! Maybe when I'm "nicely" filled I'll start carrying a bag. I'm having ALOT of trouble re-learning how to eat. I've always been a super fast eater and I know that it's going to be a hard habit to break.

WillT, you wouldn't happen to be a trouble maker, would you??!! ;):lol2: :yes:

newp.... not me.

I had a PB today with a mini slice of pizza. I bit off a normal size chunk, and in the middle of conversing, I swallowed as I used to. Ouch. As the tightness developed, i took a small sip of drink, and proceed to try and let out a little burp. After about a minute to a minute and a half, it relaxed. The sips helped the larger chunk make it through the band i guess.

I learned quickly.

That's awesome Neeters... you want to carry a picture of me around with you. I'm honored!!

I started pre-cutting my food - cutting it into little pieces at the beginning of the meal to remedy the big bite syndrome. Trouble today was that I always hold pizza in my hand, and dont use a knife and fork, so the bites controlled the size.

Maybe I'll try cutting up my food first... I'll try anything to avoid PBing again! [Throat's still a little sore this morning!] I'm alway's in such a hurry at feeding time :rolleyes: and I have to learn to slow down. It's like when I see the food, I can't get it on my plate and shoveled in my face fast enough. Sucks!

Yes it sure did Will... thank you. I knew I could count on you for advice! I also think cutting up food into little tiny pieces is a good idea as well. I'm going to a barbeque on Sunday, and I will do that. I found out that eating cold chicken doesn't go down too well either. Hey Will.. or anyone else out there... if you eat cottage cheese, did you know how much sodium it has in it! I couldn't believe it. It's like 500 mg per cup. HUGE! Why do so many things have to be so high in salt.. cottage cheese? Go figure?

I always carry small plastic bags in my purse or car......come in handy when you discreetly spit up into it cause you were not eating mindfully! I have to be very careful when I go out to eat, because I get to talking and forget that I have to chew my food! This even happens to veteran bandsters....so they tell me.

You're so right, Donnie... old habits are hard to break. After the first bite, I remember the new rules LOL.

Neeters, I couldn't tell you about cottage cheese. I'm allergic to most cheeses. I can handle mozzarella, if there is something to mix with it. i can handle small amounts of parmesan too. Not much more. I ordered a sandwich once in the car, and they put some funky cheese on it (they messed up my order). Without looking at it, I started to eat it, and less than halfway through, I was having major problems. i survived though, I think.

Oooh.. Dr. Marco told me NOT to drink water.. that drinking after getting plugged up would just cause you to pb it all back up. He said walking would be the most productive thing to get rid of it.