Food Ideas to have prepared in Frig

Lisa,

You have mentioned several times that you keep food chopped up and ready in the frig. What types of things do you do with this. I have thought about doing it but am at a loss to what types of things to prepare. If anyone else has ideas that would be great, I am not the most creative eater. In the past it has been whatever happened to be in front of me but I want to be more deliberate with my eating now.

Blessings!

Hey girl!

My favorites...

hard boiled eggs, I usually do a dozen at a time. I use them whole, chop one for a salad, make a little egg salad or oeufs mayonaise (hard boiled eggs, sliced in quarters with a touch of homemade mayo on each one) They are very handy to keep around. I try to use them up in a week.

grilled boneless skinless chicken breast. When I grill I always make extra. I slice them into strips, keep a bag in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. I used them for salads, sandwiches and I also make fajitas with them.

grilled beef sliced in strips, usually flat iron steak or skirt steak. I use it the same as the chicken.

One other thing I like to keep on hand is cooked ground beef. The way I cook it is to boil it! I just cover it with water and crumble it up as it cooks. When it's done, almost all of the fat will be floating on top of the water and you can just pour it all down the drain! I keep some in the fridge and put the rest in freezer bags. It's as easy to cook 6 pounds of hamburger as it is one. I use the ground beef to make chili or spaghetti or whatever.

Another thing I like to make is a "tortilla pizza." I buy the whole grain/high fiber small tortilla's and I put one on a baking sheet (sprayed with Pam) and I add a couple of spoon fulls of pizza sauce, a little cheese, onions, mushrooms or whatever veggies I have around, some of that cooked hamburger and/or Canadian bacon (low in fat!!) and bake it in a hot oven for about 15-20 minutes until the tortilla is crispy.

It really makes a quick, healthy meal that low in fat and hey, you're eating pizza!!

Hugs,

Jena

Thanks Jena those are all great ideas. I think I am going to start a list because whenever I get ready to do it I can't think of what to prepare. Unfortunately tortilla, eggs and sandwiches are things I can't have right now. I still can't figure out why boiled eggs won't go down for me. With other things I have little or no restriction but boy do I have it with eggs, bread and tortillas.

Mom 12. I have been buying yogurt with fruit in it in the really small sizes. I grab one every morning when I'm packing my lunch. I also have strawberries, canteloupe and cherries all washed up in the fridge and separated in little plastic containers. I grab 2 of those. I have small lunch size packets of Hummous and I have that with 3 Whole Grain Stoned Wheat Thins. I also keep hard boiled eggs and roasted turkey breast (deli). In my cupboard I have tuna, salmon, soup, etc.. Hope this helps... (Oh.. I also keep a bag of salad at work, and a couple of lien cuisine's in the freezer at work) Anita You have lost 29 lbs!!! That's awesome! Keep up the good work!!

Some of the things that I keep in my fridge are sugar free pudding.....I love this for a "treat" in the evening and I keep cheese sticks...They are quick and easy. I also freeze grapes in a baggie in the freezer and pop them when I want something sweet....very handy and they have to thaw in your mouth....great snack. I can't eat hard boiled eggs either, they never stay down. I can do scrambled eggs if they are covered with ketchup. I mix yogurt and protein powder and throw in some fruit and it tastes almost like cheesecake! I buy the little bags of cooked chicken (there are several flavors) and they are pre-cooked and you can throw them on salad or make chicken salad with them and they seem to be moist enough that they don't get stuck.

I was at Walmart the other day, and they had huge bags of fresh sliced frozen fruit. It had everything from apples to nectarines in it. I thought I may try that when I go on solids.

Wow, you guys are on it - I also will add salmon which I like moist.

I will make some protein, the chicken, beef, and fish and organize them in the small plastic containers by my potion size. The chopped veggies – same thing organize them in the small plastic containers by my potion size (I eat fresh or quickly stir fry). For fruit I buy those natural fruit cups you buy in the veggie area. But I like the idea of the frozen fruit and you could put those in the containers. For carbs I buy the cans of like Caribbean Recipe beans, and other types carbs (some have brown rice but its soft so I can eat some) take them out of the can’s and again organize them in the small plastic containers by my potion size.

So when I need to eat a meal I just grab one container of each and go. It makes life easier, and remember since we don’t eat much you can get a few meals out of very little, and use those really tiny containers you find in the grocery stores.

One other thing I like to keep on hand is cooked ground beef. The way I cook it is to boil it! I just cover it with water and crumble it up as it cooks. When it's done, almost all of the fat will be floating on top of the water and you can just pour it all down the drain! I keep some in the fridge and put the rest in freezer bags. It's as easy to cook 6 pounds of hamburger as it is one. I use the ground beef to make chili or spaghetti or whatever.

Another thing I like to make is a "tortilla pizza." I buy the whole grain/high fiber small tortilla's and I put one on a baking sheet (sprayed with Pam) and I add a couple of spoon fulls of pizza sauce, a little cheese, onions, mushrooms or whatever veggies I have around, some of that cooked hamburger and/or Canadian bacon (low in fat!!) and bake it in a hot oven for about 15-20 minutes until the tortilla is crispy.

Ok I just wrote these 2 tips down, this is a wonderful idea! Thanks I love it when bandsters do topics like this. Thanks again :lb23:

Wow, you guys are on it - I also will add salmon which I like moist.

I will make some protein, the chicken, beef, and fish and organize them in the small plastic containers by my potion size. The chopped veggies – same thing organize them in the small plastic containers by my potion size (I eat fresh or quickly stir fry). For fruit I buy those natural fruit cups you buy in the veggie area. But I like the idea of the frozen fruit and you could put those in the containers. For carbs I buy the cans of like Caribbean Recipe beans, and other types carbs (some have brown rice but its soft so I can eat some) take them out of the can’s and again organize them in the small plastic containers by my potion size.

So when I need to eat a meal I just grab one container of each and go. It makes life easier, and remember since we don’t eat much you can get a few meals out of very little, and use those really tiny containers you find in the grocery stores.

Lisa if you don't mind me asking what is a good portion size of vegies and what the heck is Caribbean Recipe Beans? :unsure:

There are these really small plastic containers, I think they hold about 1/3 cup, I cut up the veggies up really small to help with chewing and to fill up the container. I cannot eat a lot of each food group so try to keep it pretty even.

Swanson's has canned of beans, beans with rice and they have spices and peppers/onions in them. I love them and use them for my carbs. You can find them by the canned kidney beans.