What's o.k. and what's not

okay I am reading all these posts and I was told that I could start creamy soups on day seven. So I went and got cream of brocclli and cream of potato and cream of mushroom ...you get the picture. I mix it with a can of milk which waters it down. I thought I was following the guidelines....am I or not. When I called Dr. Miranda she said just to make sure I could drink it. She also suggested higher calorie drinks like milkshakes to get more calories in if I was having a problem. I have not done the milkshake but wont say I wont get to that point. It takes me all day to finish the soup because I am so careful to not overfill. So what is the word. Tell me....... Dawn p.sl post op day 9 and by the way the hunger does kick in.

Guest cedartown

I think you answered yourself.

Dr. Miranda she said just to make sure I could drink it.

you can't drink bacon & potato soup from safeway.

can you drink it... also, dr Miranda said to not go directly to milk products. believe me, it is not pretty if you end up with an intolerance. I was there and in agony for a week... til i called her and she helped me figure out why.

okay I am reading all these posts and I was told that I could start creamy soups on day seven. So I went and got cream of brocclli and cream of potato and cream of mushroom ...you get the picture. I mix it with a can of milk which waters it down. I thought I was following the guidelines....am I or not. When I called Dr. Miranda she said just to make sure I could drink it. She also suggested higher calorie drinks like milkshakes to get more calories in if I was having a problem. I have not done the milkshake but wont say I wont get to that point. It takes me all day to finish the soup because I am so careful to not overfill. So what is the word. Tell me....... Dawn p.sl post op day 9 and by the way the hunger does kick in.

Thats what I was told also. You are fine. But, better not mention milkshakes, you might get blasted by some people - even though you have permission from the doctor.

I have not pooped since 3 days befoe surgery. I often have that problem so I was not worried. But is it the milk? I even thoought of going to go get one of those iced coffees because they sometimes start me up. But now it's been 13 days since a poop well today I did one tiny little marble that looked like concrete. I did just take a half dose of milk of mag. My back is starting to hurt and I look pregnant. If I would just take a crap I would lose 10 pounds. Did the milky soups bind me up? Help!!!!!!!Dawn

you can't drink bacon & potato soup from safeway.

You can if you blend it up and add water to it (it's pretty thick). Watering it down makes it so it can pass through a straw and that's the name of the game in weeks 2 and 3. ;) But don't drink anything through a straw b/c it might cause extra gas. :wacko:

Or, get the cambells soup at hand (meant to be drinkable) of the potato creamy soup and it tastes very similar with a lot less calories. I can only get in like an eighth of a cup of soup before I get bored of it. I've been more of a popsicle person. :)

I can't hold but about 4-6 ounces of anything.I'm surprised at how much some people can manage.

Does it come back up or do you get the tightness in the chest feeling? I get the tightness feeling so I stop and then I'm not hungry for a loooong time. When were you banded? :)

Guest cedartown

I was banded on May 26.It doesn't come back up.I just feel full.My pre-op diet went really well & i think i have allowed my stomach to shrink as it's been over a month since i allowed myself a full meal.I was the type of person who would gorge & continue eating way after being full.Then stop at Sonic for a milkshake 20 minutes later.

I'm on day 17 of post op diet.

hahahahaha, me too! I'd be eating a meal and trying to think about what sounded good at the next meal. I was following the pre-op, but stalled out on the weight loss. I lost 4 the first week pre-op, 3 the 2nd week pre-op and I've lost 6 this past week since I've been banded. I hope I can continue getting the full feeling. It's SO weird to not think about food all the time.

It's my fault the bacon and potato soup riot got started. :ph34r: But I really do only have a couple of spoonfulls of stuff and then pass it off to my husband to finish. I've started noticing that he justs lets me start eating a "meal" and then knows he'll get most of it anyway so he doesn't even dish his own food first anymore, haha.

I am not a soup lover, and would only eat potato or tomato soup the entire time....it was a very boring month for me. I loved the safeway potato soup and blended it, never had a problem with it, and still lost drinking it. it was filling and tasted good.

Dr. Miranda told me that at this stage you can drink anything that you could drink through a straw. If your soup blends up and you could suck it through a straw, you can have it.

I have not pooped since 3 days befoe surgery. I often have that problem so I was not worried. But is it the milk? I even thoought of going to go get one of those iced coffees because they sometimes start me up. But now it's been 13 days since a poop well today I did one tiny little marble that looked like concrete. I did just take a half dose of milk of mag. My back is starting to hurt and I look pregnant. If I would just take a crap I would lose 10 pounds. Did the milky soups bind me up? Help!!!!!!!Dawn

You need to read the poop thread.. lol.. no kidding.

http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?show...520&hl=poop

I start creamy soups tommorrow...I got cream of cheese and broccoli, cream of chicken and plan to make cream of potato and blend out the chunks.

Do I need to blend out the chunks in the canned soups too?

Also, my breakfast menu includes oatmeal (apples and cinnamon/brownsugar) you know the kind....do I need to blend it out too? My patient coordinator didn't mention blending until I start the mushy food stage in two weeks (eggs, mash potatoes, mashed everything).

Thanks ladies, Cathy

I start creamy soups tommorrow...I got cream of cheese and broccoli, cream of chicken and plan to make cream of potato and blend out the chunks.

Do I need to blend out the chunks in the canned soups too?

Also, my breakfast menu includes oatmeal (apples and cinnamon/brownsugar) you know the kind....do I need to blend it out too? My patient coordinator didn't mention blending until I start the mushy food stage in two weeks (eggs, mash potatoes, mashed everything).

Thanks ladies, Cathy

I don't know what your doc says, but Dr. Miranda says we have to be able to drink it through a straw. (That's why we're obsessed with blending, lol). For breakfast sometimes I have runny malt-o-meal and it has been quite tasty! :)

I took an exlax (I knew it wasn't too strong for me) on day three because I felt like if someone stuck a needle in me I would fly around the room. It really helped overnight. I was finally able to expel the gas the other direction. Before that All I did was rumbling burps like when I have reflux. The definition of constipation is hard stool like rabbit pellets, not how often you go. So, you are definitely constipated. May also not be drinking enough. Dr. Acosta told me today that I should be drinking a gallon a day. I would keep with the MOM daily or some lax until you have some results and take COLACE which is a stool softener with NO lax. Takes three days to work though. You can take up to three a day. If your stools get too soft then take less colace. As always call the clinic if you get no relief or are worried.

I am curious about the oatmeal. It seems like it has little chunks from each oat itself. I would probably blend it but don't know for sure. I havn't tried anything except soup and did blend it when I ate it to get the chunks out. I hear that cream of wheat with skim milk is thin enough to eat. Anyone else know about oatmeal?

I don't know what your doc says, but Dr. Miranda says we have to be able to drink it through a straw. (That's why we're obsessed with blending, lol). For breakfast sometimes I have runny malt-o-meal and it has been quite tasty! :)

They didn't say to eat around the chunks or anything like that, but I will or use my hand blender to smooth it out. I am not a milk drinker and I am required at this stage to have 3 x 1/2 cups of skim milk w/meals. I will add it to the soup to make it more liquid.

Thanks for the advice!

Cathy

I am curious about the oatmeal. It seems like it has little chunks from each oat itself. I would probably blend it but don't know for sure. I havn't tried anything except soup and did blend it when I ate it to get the chunks out. I hear that cream of wheat with skim milk is thin enough to eat. Anyone else know about oatmeal?

Thanks Julie, that's what I plan to do, blend it with the skim milk I am required to have instead of boiled water. I will eat around the chunks!

Take care, Cathy

skim milk I am required to have

That's really good for you. I didn't realize until liquids that milk had so much protein. The protein helps you heal faster. :) I also got some of the Dannon Light & Fit drinkable yogurts and they've got some protein too. :)

Hey Cathy I hope your post-op is going well. I remember I was just tired and slept alot. I liked the chicken broth I made from the packets or powder rather than the already made stuff. I think it was way too bland for me. The sugar free jello pre-made little cups were very handy too. Popsicles seemed to be my favorite hands down. I thank you for all your posts and really taking this to heart.....Take care

They didn't say to eat around the chunks or anything like that, but I will or use my hand blender to smooth it out. I am not a milk drinker and I am required at this stage to have 3 x 1/2 cups of skim milk w/meals. I will add it to the soup to make it more liquid.

Thanks for the advice!

Cathy

Am I misunderstanding, Kitty? They are telling you to drink with meals? I thought that was forbidden? I was actually wondering how one was supposed to eat porridge without it though.

I think they want her to have milk 3 times a day.... she's on full liquids so she's not drinking WITH meals, they ARE the meals. :) I think she's just saying that she'll sorta hit 2 birds with one stone by using milk to make her breakfast soup.

And yes, when you start the solids drinking with meals is a no-no. :)