Nerves of Steel

Hi everyone,

So I have finaly made up my mind!! I am ready for this long and exciting journey of having a lap band. My best friend had one done yesterday (shes doing great). I am going off to nursing school sept 25th and need to make this possitive change in my life. My weight today is 284 down from 330 last year january. It has been a huge struggle and i have kept it off. The worst thing for me is the thought of gaining it all back. I am only 23 and have back and joint pain, with a history of diabetes and heat problems in the family, i need to get this under control.

The only people that know about my surgery is my huband (who has supported me through all my issues the last few years) and my best friend. Just them 2!! I don't feel like i need to tell anyone else. I don't want people in my life to say "oh she only lost the weight because of surgery". My family thinks im going on vacation. lol

I am scheduled to land in SanDiago sept 5, surgery sept 6 and home sept 8. I am so excited for my freind and myself we are both in the medical field and are supporting each other all the way.

For those who have been to tj we really want some info on good shopping!

Hi everyone,

So I have finaly made up my mind!! I am ready for this long and exciting journey of having a lap band. My best friend had one done yesterday (shes doing great). I am going off to nursing school sept 25th and need to make this possitive change in my life. My weight today is 284 down from 330 last year january. It has been a huge struggle and i have kept it off. The worst thing for me is the thought of gaining it all back. I am only 23 and have back and joint pain, with a history of diabetes and heat problems in the family, i need to get this under control.

The only people that know about my surgery is my huband (who has supported me through all my issues the last few years) and my best friend. Just them 2!! I don't feel like i need to tell anyone else. I don't want people in my life to say "oh she only lost the weight because of surgery". My family thinks im going on vacation. lol

I am scheduled to land in SanDiago sept 5, surgery sept 6 and home sept 8. I am so excited for my freind and myself we are both in the medical field and are supporting each other all the way.

For those who have been to tj we really want some info on good shopping!

That's awesome!!! Congratulations on losing the weight and deciding on the surgery. I know how it feels - I lost 75 lbs and kept most of it off for 4 years. Then I started dating this wonderful person and gained it ALL back!!!!! *head desk*

I kind of took the extreme other route as far as telling people. I will gladly tell you why I'm working a 2nd job, exactly why the surgery entails, what the risks are, why I'm going to Dr. Ortiz instead of to Scripps Hospital, etc, etc. I have all the stats, percentages, risks, details down pat that anyone could possibly think to ask, lol.

I know it won't compare to actually having the surgery and learning all the little things, like what exactly will make me PB and how to control emotional hunger, etc, but I'm all about educating others on the condition. I'm the same way with my IBS, and I'm glad for it. I've helped several people improve their symptoms because of excellent informational sources I know about that they would have not found had I been all shy about it.

but I totally understand not telling the family. I think the only reason I'm okay with doing it is that I'm here in Sunny San Diego and they are all back in Hotter then Hades Kansas (well, actually they are on a cruise in Hawaii ;) Lucky suckers). My mom has agreed to come with me when I have it done, as she speaks fluent Spanish, but other then that, this is MY journey and MY choice.

My father, who hates doctors and prescriptions and lives by the mantra "walk it off" has actually told me he was proud of me for how much I am willing to do to make this happen. All of the research I have done, as well as the new 2nd job just to be able to pay for the surgery debt. I figured he would be my biggest nay sayer and he has been wonderfully supportive, because he knows that I know what I'm doing.

I love unexpected warm fuzzies.

And somehow my post to say "yay you!" had turned into some insane rambly thing. This is what happens when you're bored at work!

Anyway, um, YAY YOU!!! I know nothing about shopping in TJ, but if you decide to shop on this side of the border, go to Fashion Valley! You'll get lots of walking in, and it's an outside HUGE mall, so you can shop and enjoy the lovely weather :)

There is also the zoo (I can get through half of it on a good day) and Sea World.

Sorry i didn't shop much when i was there - walked about 4 block to a little mall but it was hot and day after surgery so i wasn't really into it - BUT i knnow there is a bigger place a short cab ride away - avenue revolution or something like that - if no one replies, ask your coordinator or the hotel when you arrive and they can direct you.

Congrats - i wish i had had the surgery when i was younger - hopefully it will end or make any previous strugles easier - you've done so well without the band i'm sure you will be successful. Best of luck!!! mary

Just be careful shopping in TJ. I've lived in so cal all my life, and have had my share of bad TJ stories. Remember that the police have a different idea of what it means to "protect and serve", and you are in THEIR country. Watch your back, and watch your wallet.

Oh. And buy Chiclets. I'll be curious to hear how many little children try to sell them to you. The strongest memory of TJ I have (apart from the tequilla) is little kids... "CHEEK-layy... CHEEK-layy..."

Have fun.